Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread
Jun 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #152 of 199
I asked Kingwa about a DIY remote upgrade and he mentioned something about having to change out the main board, so that's probably not worth attempting.
Ouch. Guess I'll have to keep reaching across the table for the foreseeable future.

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #153 of 199
Does anybody else have trouble starting this up in cold weather?

When I turn on the unit, nothing displays on the screen and the connected headphones produce a static sound.
This occurs for at least 10 minutes until the unit has warmed up at which time the numbers start flashing on the screen as per normal startup and it starts working normally.

I emailed AudioGD and they responded saying that the board doesn't function properly at under 5 degrees celcius. Has anybody else had this problem? It's a bit annoying having to wait 10+ minutes before I can use it and I'm concerned at what effect this will have on the long term reliability of this unit.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #154 of 199
Guys,

Anyone tries to drive the 10SE with HD800 or HD700? How is the sound?

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #155 of 199
Hmm... read that the 10SE could drive the Hifiman HE-6, perhaps it could be able to do it on HD800?

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #156 of 199
the 10SE can easily power any normal headphone if that's what your asking.  if you check the nfb-10 thread I'm sure you'll see comments about the 800 though I don't remember any on the 700

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #157 of 199
Take this response with some salt, as I've not had the opportunity to demo a pair of HD800s, but if most impressions are correct - they're revealing and on the slightly bright side of neutral - then it seems like the NFB would make them a little sibilant.  I'm sure it could power them, but from the experience I do have with the NFB, it's already slightly on the bright side of neutral.  I've tried my NFB with a pair of bright headphones and it made them sibilant, so I don't know how well it would respond with the HD800.

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #158 of 199
Quote:
Take this response with some salt, as I've not had the opportunity to demo a pair of HD800s, but if most impressions are correct - they're revealing and on the slightly bright side of neutral - then it seems like the NFB would make them a little sibilant.  I'm sure it could power them, but from the experience I do have with the NFB, it's already slightly on the bright side of neutral.  I've tried my NFB with a pair of bright headphones and it made them sibilant, so I don't know how well it would respond with the HD800.

I've never heard the HD800 hooked up to an NFB-10SE, but based on them separately, I would agree with this sentiment. It's definitely not an issue of power, but rather an issue of synergy.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #159 of 199
I'll say it again, my "bright" DT770/600 sound great with my 10SE and I am very sensitive to sibilance and sharp treble. This my experience over the last year and not conjecture. This is a revealing amp without tube distortion to smooth over flaws- buy accordingly.

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #160 of 199
Sep 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #161 of 199
Quote:

Has anyone upgraded their NFB-10SE with the TE8802 upgrade kit?

In other news I see the NFB-10SE is no longer sold by Audio-gd.  It's been replaced by the NFB-10.32.

And it still can't accept analog input.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #164 of 199
Quote:
Will this audio-gd be an upgrade from schiit bifrost+asgard for HE-500?

I've had some experience with the Lyr/Bifrost combo - which should be an upgrade from a Bifrost/Asgard combo - and I believe the NFB is an upgrade in terms of transparency, detail, neutrality, and texture.  The Lyr/Bifrost combo is a little smoother, though.
On an unrelated note, I got a pair of Q701s a couple weeks ago, and I'm pleased with the NFB/Q701 combo.  I was a little afraid of sibilance, but the sound is smooth and detailed.  The sound can be a little fatiguing, but that might also be because the apex(?) of the headband can cause some pain after a few hours use. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #165 of 199
Quote:
I've had some experience with the Lyr/Bifrost combo - which should be an upgrade from a Bifrost/Asgard combo - and I believe the NFB is an upgrade in terms of transparency, detail, neutrality, and texture.  The Lyr/Bifrost combo is a little smoother, though.
On an unrelated note, I got a pair of Q701s a couple weeks ago, and I'm pleased with the NFB/Q701 combo.  I was a little afraid of sibilance, but the sound is smooth and detailed.  The sound can be a little fatiguing, but that might also be because the apex(?) of the headband can cause some pain after a few hours use. 

Those headbands..... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back