Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #271 of 6,385
Quote:

Funny with credit cards they either go too far one way (like when I was buying a new garage door at my local Home Depot...1.5km down the street) vs. someone buying $3000 worth of Nutri-sweet products in the Middle East. I'll let you guess which one got flagged and which one was let through without issue. 
tongue.gif

Both are very clean and fast and offer some of the best sonics this side of the SR-009s. But you know which one I prefer....interested in hearing your thoughts!

haha exactly, ive actually never had a fraudulent purchase made with any of my cards, but big purchases like this get flagged all the time, international orders as well.

The main thing making me want to try them is just how much i loved the LCD-2s, and that most people who listen to more rock and metal(you and skylab) both preferred the LCD-3 over the HE-6, its something i need to hear. I anticipate liking it more, but we shall see, hopefully by the end of the week!

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #274 of 6,385
Hey guys, just a little bit of feedback from more time with the LCD-3. I've tried them with my avid mbox pro (2012 edition) just for the fun of it; and turns out it sounds quite good; better than through the mjoln/gung to my surprise. 

I promised myself not to wear anything besides the LCD-3 for a week so all I can say is that it sounded very nice, much more balanced although still not quite perfect to my ears (nothing's perfect).

Actually I'm lying, I put on my HD600's a bit since I can't compare my other flagships to the LCD-3 just yet. I have to say those HD600's are quite fantastic for what they are and considering how long ago they were released (1996?).

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #275 of 6,385
Quote:
Hey guys, just a little bit of feedback from more time with the LCD-3. I've tried them with my avid mbox pro (2012 edition) just for the fun of it; and turns out it sounds quite good; better than through the mjoln/gung to my surprise. 

I promised myself not to wear anything besides the LCD-3 for a week so all I can say is that it sounded very nice, much more balanced although still not quite perfect to my ears (nothing's perfect).

Actually I'm lying, I put on my HD600's a bit since I can't compare my other flagships to the LCD-3 just yet. I have to say those HD600's are quite fantastic for what they are and considering how long ago they were released (1996?).

I never herd of the Avid mbox.  Looks interesting..  What do you do with it?

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #279 of 6,385
Quote:
Audeze, i got the shipping email from FedEx just a minute ago, says it should be here on Friday. so color me excited on that one, dont have to wait till after the weekend to listen!

popcorn.gif

(BTW, I'm OCD about tracking numbers too)

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #280 of 6,385
Quote:

I never herd of the Avid mbox.  Looks interesting..  What do you do with it?

It's an audio interface (digital to analog converter w/preamps and mic outs, etc). It's made for studio usage (recording and producing) and is what feeds your monitors (or headphones) for feedback.

It also makes for a very very neutral headphone amp obviously... but it's very weak and the amplification stage isn't amazing.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #281 of 6,385
popcorn.gif

(BTW, I'm OCD about tracking numbers too)

I would like triple that notion. It's gotten to the point where I demand nothing less than overnight shipping with tracking capability for premium products. Currently tracking UPS's progress for my LCD-3 due tomorrow.  

"Where's that refresh button again?"

Quote:
I'm seriously bummed. When I hear someone mention that the LCD-3 can be very detailed up high and comparable to the HD800 minus the harshness, that's definitely not what I'm hearing.

I'm convinced they're veiled, yet they're said to be RMA'd... Something is not right. One thing for sure, right now from what I'm hearing, it's a significant step up over the LCD-2 r3, but not anywhere close to being a headphone worth almost 2 grand.

If I can make a small analogy, it's like if I had a 2.1 speaker system with boosted up bass on the sub and both speakers have damaged tweeters... 
confused_face_2.gif

I'm anxious to trade LCD-3's for the week with a local audiophile; at that point I will be able to see (hear) what exactly to expect

Edit: Otherwise I was thinking if the magnets are damaged? Is it possible that the magnets are discharging?

dleblanc343, 

Currently, I'm using the Mjolnir & Gungnir at the moment and your comments are of slight concern. I was hoping that this combination would stay or impede my upgraditis to the SR-009 as many have alluded that the LCD-3 comes in at a close second. $2000 or $10,000 is what I've been telling myself. I can only hope that you just have a strong bias against the LCD sound or else your contention could be an ominous sign that my wallet is going to be $10K lighter in the near future.  

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #282 of 6,385
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 

One thing for sure, right now from what I'm hearing, it's a significant step up over the LCD-2 r3, but not anywhere close to being a headphone worth almost 2 grand.

Well duh.  I think we've been saying that the whole time.  The LCD-3 is better than the LCD-2 but a poor value.  Problem is for that sound, there aren't alternatives so you either eat the price or stick to the LCD-2.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #283 of 6,385
Originally Posted by 
dleblanc343

One thing for sure, right now from what I'm hearing, it's a significant step up over the LCD-2 r3, but not anywhere close to being a headphone worth almost 2 grand.

Well duh.  I think we've been saying that the whole time.  The LCD-3 is better than the LCD-2 but a poor value.  Problem is for that sound, there aren't alternatives so you either eat the price or stick to the LCD-2.

Lol come on solude, I just bought mine, you don't need to be saying that.

Seriously though, I just realized its almost Black Friday, I'm just hoping nobody puts these things on sale in the next couple days -_-

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #284 of 6,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 

Sonically, the LCD-3 is an upgrade over the LCD-2.  It is not a $1,000 upgrade, as most have stated.  Diminishing returns and all that jazz.  Comfort-wise, the LCD-3 is a significant upgrade over the LCD-2.  To me, that's what you are really paying $1k for.  The comfort.

You can state diminishing returns all you want, and it's obviously the truth, but at the end of the day you're spending 1k for comfort and small sound quality increase (the word small being relative, when in comparison to the price paid for it.)   If these were $500 more expensive than the LCD-2, then it would be more likely to be considered a large increase in sound quality.

All things have to be considered in context...but no, these are not a significant upgrade in sound quality for the price paid.  I do enjoy their sound more than the LCD-2.2s I own, but I prefer the extra comfort the most.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #285 of 6,385
dleblanc343, 

Currently, I'm using the Mjolnir & Gungnir at the moment and your comments are of slight concern. I was hoping that this combination would stay or impede my upgraditis to the SR-009 as many have alluded that the LCD-3 comes in at a close second. $2000 or $10,000 is what I've been telling myself. I can only hope that you just have a strong bias against the LCD sound or else your contention could be an ominous sign that my wallet is going to be $10K lighter in the near future.  

I think you'll enjou it very much, I am not saying it's bad at all, it's very musical and fun. It's just that I try to look for something a tad bit more linear.

If you're going to rock out or want to jam to the music, it should be good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back