Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #301 of 6,385
Quote:

Im already thinking i will like the LCD-3s more though

You will. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #304 of 6,385
Quote:

Haha just curious, but whats your rationale on that one? is it my taste in music?

Edit: I know you really liked the DNA Sonett with the HD800s have you heard the Stratus with the LCD-3s? cause i was looking at one of those

Well I never cared much for orthos prior to the LCD3.  Even the LCD2 rev. 2 didn't drive me to make a move to supplement the HD800, as good as they were.  But the LCD3 are just fantastic with excellent transient response (though not as razor detailed as the HD800, but far superior bass response).  I didn't much care for the HE-6 the few times I've heard them and it is very inefficient, but tastes will vary obviously.  They are good phones, just not for me.  My balanced Beta with a gain of 2 isn't enough to drive them well anyway, so even if I wanted them I'd need to reconfigure the boards for higher gain (which I have no desire to do since it is perfect for the HD800/HD650/LCD3.)

Yes, I heard the Stratus but only with a pair of DT770 he had there, and I've never heard Beyers sound that good.  They sounded more like high-end phones out of that amp.  Donald definitely made a great amp for sure.

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #305 of 6,385
Quote:

Well I never cared much for orthos prior to the LCD3.  Even the LCD2 rev. 2 didn't drive me to make a move to supplement the HD800, as good as they were.  But the LCD3 are just fantastic with excellent transient response (though not as razor detailed as the HD800, but far superior bass response).  I didn't much care for the HE-6 the few times I've heard them and it is very inefficient, but tastes will vary obviously.  They are good phones, just not for me.  My balanced Beta with a gain of 2 isn't enough to drive them well anyway, so even if I wanted them I'd need to reconfigure the boards for higher gain (which I have no desire to do since it is perfect for the HD800/HD650/LCD3.)

Yes, I heard the Stratus but only with a pair of DT770 he had there, and I've never heard Beyers sound that good.  They sounded more like high-end phones out of that amp.  Donald definitely made a great amp for sure.

Yeah, some of the LCD-3 specs certainly look better, but a few of the HE-6 specs also look a bit better, though i would say some of the more important ones seem better on the LCD-3s.

thats cool, its one of the amps im interested in down the road.

Quote:
I would say yes on that alone. Your music doesn't need an open, airy presentation. It's blunt force trauma to earhole by sonic insertion.

Hahaha this is true, and thats one of the reasons i think ill like it more, and why i loved the LCD-2 so much, all that bass impact. I had a bad experience with the LCD-3s the first time i heard them at CHiUniFi, which was also the first time i heard the HE-6 actually, and i thought the LCD-3s sounded like garbage, but i soon after realized they must have been a veiled pair. And after i read purrin describe one of the veiled pairs he heard as a subwoofer on an AM radio i knew that thats what i had heard. So im really excited to hear a good pair and compare them.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #306 of 6,385

Sonically, the LCD-3 is an upgrade over the LCD-2.  It is not a $1,000 upgrade, as most have stated.  Diminishing returns and all that jazz.  Comfort-wise, the LCD-3 is a significant upgrade over the LCD-2.  To me, that's what you are really paying $1k for.  The comfort.

You can state diminishing returns all you want, and it's obviously the truth, but at the end of the day you're spending 1k for comfort and small sound quality increase (the word small being relative, when in comparison to the price paid for it.)   If these were $500 more expensive than the LCD-2, then it would be more likely to be considered a large increase in sound quality.

All things have to be considered in context...but no, these are not a significant upgrade in sound quality for the price paid.  I do enjoy their sound more than the LCD-2.2s I own, but I prefer the extra comfort the most.

Here are my thoughts between the LCD-2 and LCD-3 FWIW:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

Quote:

I suppose he's going to at least try them with the F1.  It's worth a try sense he has it already.  Unless you think it has to much power / current for the LCD-3s?

Sure they are. The LCD-3s are rated for a max of 15W. I can't seem to find what the ratings are for the HE-6s.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #307 of 6,385
Quote:

Haha i was definitely going to offer it to you first preproman....this is all if i like the LCD-3s more, i could end up still liking the HE-6s more, then i would just sell the LCD-3s and but my own pair of HE-6s instead.

Or you could keep both. 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #310 of 6,385
Quote:

Haha i was definitely going to offer it to you first preproman....this is all if i like the LCD-3s more, i could end up still liking the HE-6s more, then i would just sell the LCD-3s and but my own pair of HE-6s instead.

Cool,

So you're going to use the F1 money to get the Mjolnir to go with the D2?

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #311 of 6,385
Blow your eardrums out!

Nah. I like listening loud on occasion, but not nearly as much as I used to. I already had a huge scare a few months back where half the hearing in one ear went out for a few days. It was my tempor tympani muscle (spelling?) acting up (as a reflex) and protecting my ears so fortunately it was only temporary but it scared the hell out of me, and I wasn't even listening that loud when it happened. It's there to protect your ear from loud noises.

You only have one set of ears. Protect them. And if anyone tells you you need a 15W amp to properly drive the LCD3 you can tell them they're high. Sure, headroom is good but you don't need nearly that much. For the HE-6 I could see that though. Doesn't the DarkStar have something like 50 or 100W per channel headphone output? That's just insane. Regardless of how it sounds, I laughed pretty hard when Ray (I think it was) said you could hear the HE-6 like speakers from across the room. Because of course, that's why we all buy headphones.....to use as speakers. :rolleyes: And Ray had once told me at CanJam that he listened louder than anyone he knew, until he heard me listening to the HD800 on one of his amps. :D

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #312 of 6,385
I wonder if Soup got them yet... I cant wait to hear his comparison between lcd3 and he-6 
popcorn.gif

Ofc, getting them today probably means he wont be online for a couple of days 
gs1000.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #313 of 6,385
dleblanc343, I share your disapointment with the LCD-3 regarding their shelved upper mids/treble. It's not so bad with bad modern treble-boosted masters because both flaws kind of neutralize themselves, but with more neutral music like yourself I find the coloration too much and the uneven transition in the mids makes the sound less transparent than it should. That's why I only listen to them with a little EQ from 2 to 12 kHz. The change in clarity to my ears is amazing, and the bass sounds tighter, the vocals livelier.

On the the other hand, I was surprised to read you find the Gungnir/Mjolnir combo colored and not very good with LCD-3. I don't claim it's totally neutral but it certainly pairs very well with my EQ'd LCD-3, much better than with my HD800. My old Bifrost/Lyr combo sounds "muddy" in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back