Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #241 of 6,385
do we ever stop to think that all these varied opinions about these headphones might come down everything BUT the headphones?

for example, with the HE-6, i have owned them since shortly after they were released, and i have gradually come to think of them as the best headphones i've personally ever heard.

when i first bought them i thought they were somewhat thin, bright, and analytical.

but this was down to my rig...

as my rig has improved, so has the HE-6.
each step of the way, as i've removed jitter and distortion from the audio signal, the HE-6 has telegraphed these changes more faithfully than any other headphone.

i now have a headphone rig that blows my mind.
it is almost baffling to hear the clarity, layering, realism, and dynamics from my best cans (HE-6, HE-500, HD800, LCD-3).

i know it's an "LCD-3 lovefest" thread.
so, i'll throw in that I do truly love the LCD-3.

but...  the sound i hear now truly makes me wonder how some of those "old headphones" i've sold would now sound on my current rig...
The Beyer T1, for example.  i always found them bright.

And i know the quality of a rig cannot change the FR of a headphone.   but what it can do is change the perception of that FR.
and quality treble is a lot easier to swallow than hashy treble.
in fact, the quality of treble can become so good that it will almost convert someone into a treble head...

RIG:  JPLAY hibernate mode  /  Vaunix Brick USB Hub  /  Audiophilleo2 with Pure Power  /  Bryston BDA-1 DAC  /  RSA Dark Star  (All with Shunyata Hydra power conditioning and power cables, and WireWorld interconnects).

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #242 of 6,385
Why do you assume theres an issue with the plot? Im pretty sure thats a plot of the best of 4 LCD-3s that Purrin has heard, the scale is quite a bit different than most, it goes all the way down to -55db.

Im not trying to say that the LCD-3 is bad, i still havent gotten to hear an unveiled pair, just that you cant point to some of the data that shows the LCD-3 being better, but not look at other data where the HE-6 might be better, and say that the LCD-3 is "technically" better. And yes i would still love to hear the LCD-3s, maybe someone will let me borrow them?? :D i promise to take the best care of them

Not really assuming, just that I've seen waterfalls all over the place. Sadly there was quite a bit of variation on the LCD-3s prior to the April time frame. Funny, I've never heard a veiled pair.

If you're ever in the Toronto area, let me know, you're more than welcome to drop by. :)

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #243 of 6,385
If you're ever in the Toronto area, let me know, you're more than welcome to drop by. :)

You should come up to Montreal sometime, we've assembled quite a few headfiers and i keep finding more through work.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #244 of 6,385
I'm afraid to have to say this too in this thread, but right now, I can attest to the HE-6 not being peaky from what I'm driving them, while the LCD-3 clearly are having a hard time in comparison. The wimpy cymbal splashes are off the instrument's timbre

I hope it's just my pair :frowning2:

The Gun+Mj just made my teeth hurt. I'd bet you have a veiled pair. Did you get the test FR with your pair? I wonder how it compares to a known good one.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #245 of 6,385
Quote:
You should come up to Montreal sometime, we've assembled quite a few headfiers and i keep finding more through work.

I love Montreal...fantastic town. My wife and I used to go all the time when we lived in Ottawa in the late '90s. But now with kids, getting away for an afternoon is hard enough. But as they say, never say never. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #246 of 6,385
do we ever stop to think that all these varied opinions about these headphones might come down everything BUT the headphones?

for example, with the HE-6, i have owned them since shortly after they were released, and i have gradually come to think of them as the best headphones i've personally ever heard.

when i first bought them i thought they were somewhat thin, bright, and analytical.

but this was down to my rig...

as my rig has improved, so has the HE-6.
each step of the way, as i've removed jitter and distortion from the audio signal, the HE-6 has telegraphed these changes more faithfully than any other headphone.

i now have a headphone rig that blows my mind.
it is almost baffling to hear the clarity, layering, realism, and dynamics from my best cans (HE-6, HE-500, HD800, LCD-3).

i know it's an "LCD-3 lovefest" thread.
so, i'll throw in that I do truly love the LCD-3.

but...  the sound i hear now truly makes me wonder how some of those "old headphones" i've sold would now sound on my current rig...
The Beyer T1, for example.  i always found them bright.

And i know the quality of a rig cannot change the FR of a headphone.   but what it can do is change the perception of that FR.
and quality treble is a lot easier to swallow than hashy treble.
in fact, the quality of treble can become so good that it will almost convert someone into a treble head...

RIG:  JPLAY hibernate mode  /  Vaunix Brick USB Hub  /  Audiophilleo2 with Pure Power  /  Bryston BDA-1 DAC  /  RSA Dark Star  (All with Shunyata Hydra power conditioning and power cables, and WireWorld interconnects).

+1
Touché. Very well said

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #247 of 6,385
Quote:

Trying to understand how this works.  I can have up to 4 USB connections (laptops) going into this.  Then out to my converter.  With no audio degradation, coloration, or anything negative on the audio chain?

How about drivers for PC and MAC?

Like in J. River will I select this device or my converter? 

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #249 of 6,385
I've always wondered about this and supposed improvements.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #250 of 6,385
$200 for just a USB hub.  yes.  i can't argue with that.
but since when did we audiophiles need to justify our outlandish purchases???   
wink.gif

i do not know whether any decent usb hub will achieve the same results.

nor can i say that the vaunix makes a difference in all cases.

but, in ANY case that involves a device which derives some or all of its power via USB, it is foolish not to try it.
it made a difference in my rig.
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #251 of 6,385
Quote:
$200 for just a USB hub.  yes.  i can't argue with that.
but since when did we audiophiles need to justify our outlandish purchases???   
wink.gif

i do not know whether any decent usb hub will achieve the same results.

nor can i say that the vaunix makes a difference in all cases.

but, in ANY case that involves a device which derives some or all of its power via USB, it is foolish not to try it.
it made a difference in my rig.
biggrin.gif

Are drivers needed?  PC and or MAC.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #252 of 6,385
I might try the Vaunix Hub.  It looks pretty enough to buy.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #253 of 6,385
no drivers needed.  you just connect it to your computer by USB cable, and voila!  you have four new USB ports to plug into.
each isolated from computer noise, and engineered to provide the 2.0 volts, or whatever it is.  (can't recall)

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #254 of 6,385
What doesn't change is that the USB hub feeding the new USB hub is noisy :wink:  All the hub does is provide it's own power.  Until someone scopes that power supply you could well be trading a potentially noisy supply for an also noisy power supply :wink:

If the USB supply bugs you that much, this is a better buy...
http://sotm-audio.com/english/products/tx-usbexp.php

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #255 of 6,385
On an unrelated issue does anyone else notice an addiction to having headphones on?  I've been getting a sort of buzzing in my ears without headphones on and my ears are very sensitive now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back