Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #211 of 6,385
Quote:
As much as I wanted to believe the lcd3 was the better headphone, I truly think the HE6 out of a speaker amp is a class above both my HD800 and LCD3. I will most likely fund a good speaker amp with the lcd3. The lcd3 are RMA'd and have easily over 500 hours from the previous owner; and guess what he kept over them?
tongue.gif

Maybe something is wrong, but i dont think so, they do come close to the HE6, and have more depth than them for one (and obviously a more textured bass)
I'll try compare on a dynanhi, gs-x and a eximus in the upcoming days and let you guys know what i think

Interesting to hear you findings on the Dynahi.  Is the cable on the LCD-3s SE or balanced? 

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #212 of 6,385
Quote:
It's ok to have a favorite headphone.

Nods.  Though I could never live with the Mjolnir > HD800 combo, since I found it bright on the LCD-3, some like greater treble presence, others bass, others still mids.  I most definitely fall in the bass camp since for me its the hardest group to hear in a headphone.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #213 of 6,385
Nods.  Though I could never live with the Mjolnir > HD800 combo, since I found it bright on the LCD-3, some like greater treble presence, others bass, others still mids.  I most definitely fall in the bass camp since for me its the hardest group to hear in a headphone.

+1
The LCD 3s are the only can I've heard true bass out of.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #215 of 6,385
Quote:
Listen to the LCD-3 for a month of two without ever touching the HE-6, then come back and try to listen to the HE-6.

1/2 agree. Listening to the LCD-3 for a month straight will really make you appreciate them,
but it in no way makes the HE-6 sound unlistenable.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #218 of 6,385
Quote:
I have had the ED.8 for a few weeks so I don't plan on getting another ultrasone unfortunately. I have 89000 songs, mainly lossless that I've traded with head-fiers and audiophile friends over the years; I listen to absolutely everything except most country and modern rap.

Right now I'm using the Mjolnir/Gungnir, running with DHC nucleotide xlr interconnects, tellurium Q usb (audible difference, yes), NRG-2 power cords, and the HD800 w/Q cable or nucleotide, HE-6 with nucleotide/ stock or LCD-3 with nucleotide.

I will be seeing a friend with lcd-3's and compare our pairs, he's also using Q cables. From what I was told, the lcd-3's respond a lot to different cables, and I am familiar with Q; so I'm looking forward to hearing a difference.

I'll let you guys know, most likely next friday but maybe sooner.

Also, I have to add again that the synergy with the BHA-1 for the LCD-3 was better than with the mojo, and the HE-6 seems to take a step up with the mjolnir; but I traded the bha-1and cash for the LCD-3 
redface.gif

Dan

I guess you've mentioned that you really preferred the brighter sound of the HE-6 (and less bright HD800s); and conversely disliked the LCD-2s for not being as bright as you'd like them to be. So I'm figuring that the Audeze "sound" if I could use that phrase, isn't to your liking. But technically, both are outstanding headphones with the nod going to the LCD-3s in terms of a flatter FR response, better square wave responses, being a faster driver, and even lower distortion (I'm of course referring to the post-RMA versions of the LCD-3s). Sound stage wise I found them about on par; which for me was a great improvement over the LCD-2s (either revision). Just to confirm, my comparisons were done with the LCD-3s on my (now sold WA22) and on my brother's McIntosh speaker amp. I personally think the HE-6s do sound best from a good speaker amp, but the difference isn't as huge as many have stated (again IMO).

While I can happily live with the 6kHz peak on the HD800s, I found that the wider peak (over a wider frequency range) on the HE-6s a bit too much for me to truly enjoy them fully. In that regard (along with Tyll's measurements) I can see why some (like Tyll) actually prefer the HE-500 to the HE-6s.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #219 of 6,385
I'm seriously bummed. When I hear someone mention that the LCD-3 can be very detailed up high and comparable to the HD800 minus the harshness, that's definitely not what I'm hearing.

I'm convinced they're veiled, yet they're said to be RMA'd... Something is not right. One thing for sure, right now from what I'm hearing, it's a significant step up over the LCD-2 r3, but not anywhere close to being a headphone worth almost 2 grand.

If I can make a small analogy, it's like if I had a 2.1 speaker system with boosted up bass on the sub and both speakers have damaged tweeters... 
confused_face_2.gif

I'm anxious to trade LCD-3's for the week with a local audiophile; at that point I will be able to see (hear) what exactly to expect

Edit: Otherwise I was thinking if the magnets are damaged? Is it possible that the magnets are discharging?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #220 of 6,385
Quote:
I'm seriously bummed. When I hear someone mention that the LCD-3 can be very detailed up high and comparable to the HD800 minus the harshness, that's definitely not what I'm hearing.

I'm convinced they're veiled, yet they're said to be RMA'd... Something is not right. One thing for sure, right now from what I'm hearing, it's a significant step up over the LCD-2 r3, but not anywhere close to being a headphone worth almost 2 grand.

If I can make a small analogy, it's like if I had a 2.1 speaker system with boosted up bass and both speakers have damaged tweeters... 
confused_face_2.gif

I'm anxious to trade LCD-3's for the week with a local audiophile; at that point I will be able to see (hear) what exactly to expect

Purrin has some anecdotes of some LCD-3's becoming veiled over time. Meaing, post RMA...so...

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #221 of 6,385
Quote:
Purrin has some anecdotes of some LCD-3's becoming veiled over time. Meaing, post RMA...so...

So maybe the magnet discharge theory makes sense? Premature aging?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #222 of 6,385
Quote:
So maybe the magnet discharge theory makes sense? Premature aging?

They're just anecdotes, so I'm very skeptical. But I suppose it's possible. I'd wonder why the LCD-2's haven't had such problems.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #223 of 6,385
Quote:

If I can make a small analogy, it's like if I had a 2.1 speaker system with boosted up bass on the sub and both speakers have damaged tweeters... 
confused_face_2.gif

Edit: Otherwise I was thinking if the magnets are damaged? Is it possible that the magnets are discharging?

A few thoughts....

If they are "a significant step up over the LCD-2 r.3" then they are most likely not veiled; as the veiled pairs were reportedly a step back from the LCD-2s. Especially if you bought them brand new recently. Magnets don't discharge as you mentioned. I think the issue from this past January had more to do with driver tensioning or lack thereof (but this is far from being confirmed). That said, I've had my pair since Nov. 2011 without issue. I did send them back in April-May to be updated to the newest revision and you can find my thoughts on the differences on the wiki I wrote here a while back.

With regards to your comments...I seriously suggest that you listen to them for at least a week and not mix in other headphones. If at that time you still prefer the brighter and more peaky HE-6s, then you just might be a treble head. 
smile.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #224 of 6,385
Quote:

A few thoughts....

If they are "a significant step up over the LCD-2 r.3" then they are most likely not veiled; as the veiled pairs were reportedly a step back from the LCD-2s. Especially if you bought them brand new recently. Magnets don't discharge as you mentioned. I think the issue from this past January had more to do with driver tensioning or lack thereof (but this is far from being confirmed). That said, I've had my pair since Nov. 2011 without issue. I did send them back in April-May to be updated to the newest revision and you can find my thoughts on the differences on the wiki I wrote here a while back.

With regards to your comments...I seriously suggest that you listen to them for at least a week and not mix in other headphones. If at that time you still prefer the brighter and more peaky HE-6s, then you just might be a treble head. 
smile.gif

Well I bought them from another head-fier/ friend, they're mint so I don't know. I will be giving them some exclusive head time, but to me if it sounds wrong I can't magically get used to them. I think the best is to compare head to head, which I will do. One thing for sure, I'm not under-amplifying them.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #225 of 6,385
I'm just trolling here:

The bright and peaky HE-6 seems to avoid me.  I have not seen or heard that at all in all the time I've had her.  

Headphones that's bright and peaky IMO

HD800, T70, Pro 900 and maybe the T1..

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back