Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #4,921 of 6,385
I’m afraid your eyes deceive you, it is black leather. I also thought this would be an issue, given the (dark) brown earpads, but since the metal on the headband looks and feels the same as the metal on the earcup holders (unlike the CF which just looks odd), the perforated black leather strap actually makes for a very nice two-tone black/brown effect with the brown leather and wood and black steel grates. I was always going to get a friend (who happens to own a leather factory) to make me a custom colour matched brown strap in place of the black, but now that I have it (and also realize how comfy it is) I’m not going to bother. It looks and feels fantastic!
hmmm... you certainly got me thinking now...
I don't see it available on the Audeze website. Do you need to request it by email/support?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #4,922 of 6,385
What do you LCD-3 owners think of the LCD-XC? I'm looking for a closed-back to complement the LCD-3, which offers similar sound quality. The XC seems like an obvious choice to consider, but I haven't heard it yet, and it doesn't seem to be raved about like the LCD-2 and -3.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #4,923 of 6,385
What do you LCD-3 owners think of the LCD-XC?
I compared them directly to LCD-3. They don't sound ad good as LCD-3, IMO.
But I still don't have closed HPs which I like.
Maybe Aeon (closed) can be such headphone, but I have not heard them yet (this is just a guess).

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #4,924 of 6,385
What do you LCD-3 owners think of the LCD-XC? I'm looking for a closed-back to complement the LCD-3, which offers similar sound quality. The XC seems like an obvious choice to consider, but I haven't heard it yet, and it doesn't seem to be raved about like the LCD-2 and -3.
I have both. I enjoy both and I think they complement each other well. LCD 3 is darker and XC is brighter. They both have a subjective Visceral sound which I have not yet found in other headphones. Just in a few DD IEMs

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #4,925 of 6,385
Neither is obviously an on the go headphone. The XC is my go to headphone when others are close by. For a closed back headphone it has that rare rich spacious sound. I use a copper cable to tone down the treble but that is highly subjective so not wanting to start a debate : )

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #4,926 of 6,385
I compared them directly to LCD-3. They don't sound ad good as LCD-3, IMO.
But I still don't have closed HPs which I like.
Maybe Aeon (closed) can be such headphone, but I have not heard them yet (this is just a guess).

I'd definitely say an Aeon closed would be a close approximation. I was a big fan.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #4,928 of 6,385
Do you mean approximation of LCD-3?
So, this means you don't have Aeon now?
May I ask why?

Yeah, I meant like a good closed-back matching.

TBH, money is a big reason. I'm pretty sure if I had a spare few hundred sitting around I'd pick a set up. Right now I've been hunting for the perfect IEM complement, which I think I've found in the Periodic Be.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #4,929 of 6,385
mr speaker ether c flows are another great option.

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #4,930 of 6,385
Next to LCD-3's LCD-XC's are "good enough approximation". But they definitely need good amp and Reveal plugin. That is not to say that LCD-XC are somehow inferior, LCD-3's are just so glorious that not many things can compete. And yes, i have both.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #4,932 of 6,385
Trying to find a headphone to compliment my HD 800S. Need something that shines more in the bass department. I'm currently looking at the He-560 and a pair of used LCD 3. Any suggestions why i should get one or the other?

Haven't tried HD800S or HE-560, but I have the LCD-3 and it's known for the quality of its bass. LCD-2 may have slightly even stronger bass than the LCD-3, but the LCD-3 has more clarity and detail.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #4,933 of 6,385
Trying to find a headphone to compliment my HD 800S. Need something that shines more in the bass department. I'm currently looking at the He-560 and a pair of used LCD 3. Any suggestions why i should get one or the other?

LCD-3 all day every day unless money is a thing. The HE-560 is a damn fine headphone, but it just plain doesn't compete with the LCD in any way. If you're going HiFiMan, the Edition X would be more likely to compete with the 3.

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #4,934 of 6,385
LCD-3 all day every day unless money is a thing. The HE-560 is a damn fine headphone, but it just plain doesn't compete with the LCD in any way. If you're going HiFiMan, the Edition X would be more likely to compete with the 3.
I agree with this statement 100%

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #4,935 of 6,385
Well... I guess I'll be joining the LCD-3 club!

My LCD-2.2F has been my main set of cans for something like two and a half years. God I love them! But I'm ready to try an upgrade and see if I like it more. I go through IEMs much faster, seeming to upgrade or change them out every few months. I suppose it was just time for me to do the same for my primary cans.

I hope I love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back