Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #4,906 of 6,385
Well it does... Everything your describing as being important qualities in a DAC doesn't mean jack if the music sounds boring and lifeless.
CMA600i does not color the sound as much as Mojo, that does not mean it sounds boring and lifeless. It's just a more neutral presentation.

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #4,907 of 6,385
Well neutrality isn't optimal in all cases. I only like the neutrality of the 600i amp because it does not mess with the chord sound. Otherwise wouldn't we all hav HD800s?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #4,908 of 6,385
Well neutrality isn't optimal in all cases. I only like the neutrality of the 600i amp because it does not mess with the chord sound. Otherwise wouldn't we all hav HD800s?
Yea I hate the HD800S because it is too reference. I choose the CMA600i because its neutrality matches well with the warm and musical LCD 4. Mojo makes the LCD 4 too warm in my opinion. CMA600i is perfect level of neutral for LCD 4

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #4,909 of 6,385
Neutrality is 100% what you want in a DAC. The headphones and possibly the amp do the coloration.

I definitely cannot imagine anyone saying the Mojo beats Questyle on anything. Hell, the Mojo made my LCD-X sound congested and that's intended to be easier to drive.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #4,910 of 6,385
Neutrality is 100% what you want in a DAC. The headphones and possibly the amp do the coloration.

I definitely cannot imagine anyone saying the Mojo beats Questyle on anything. Hell, the Mojo made my LCD-X sound congested and that's intended to be easier to drive.
IKR!!!
The Mojo sounds so congested when I first tried it yesterday, I was like, where's that damn soundstage doe?

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #4,911 of 6,385
I would agree its a little congested compared to some but the dynamics make it very enjoyable. I wouldn't have ordered a Qutest if I thought it was the end all DAC. Soundstage, Details, don't mean jack unless you have the tonal qualities nailed down.

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #4,912 of 6,385
I would agree its a little congested compared to some but the dynamics make it very enjoyable. I wouldn't have ordered a Qutest if I thought it was the end all DAC. Soundstage, Details, don't mean jack unless you have the tonal qualities nailed down.
CMA600i has the right tonality. Mojo is too warm.

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #4,914 of 6,385
Hey guys. In case you’re wondering, the new Audeze suspension headband that debuted with the LCD-2C is now available direct from Audeze as an upgrade kit for $125.

I recently bought a mint LCD-3 from another forum member and can confirm two things: the new headband looks great on the 3, and it’s a must-have upgrade if, like me, you can’t wear the original headband for more than a few minutes before getting a painful hotspot on your head.

Pics below. Enjoy.

38767503-BF52-410D-B73D-2571AA6CA03A.jpeg
5563C160-20DB-44CD-A324-1ED6B21A2575.jpeg
F8339ED5-E931-4E77-9266-24CCD67F4D1F.jpeg
B9B990E6-48CC-4D1C-9632-CEEAACC0BA83.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #4,915 of 6,385
Hey guys. In case you’re wondering, the new Audeze suspension headband that debuted with the LCD-2C is now available direct from Audeze as an upgrade kit for $125.

I recently bought a mint LCD-3 from another forum member and can confirm two things: the new headband looks great on the 3, and it’s a must-have upgrade if, like me, you can’t wear the original headband for more than a few minutes before getting a painful hotspot on your head.

Pics below. Enjoy.

Agreed on the headband upgrade. I recently swapped out mine and its almost night and day difference in terms of comfort especially for longer listening sessions.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #4,916 of 6,385
I got my LCD-3 about a month ago, and joined this forum a few days ago. I'm using the LCD-3 with my Hugo 2, with Tidal Hi-Fi and Spotify 320 as sources, and so far I love it.

For those who've owned the LCD-3 for a long time, what are your feelings about it? What headphones do you feel complement it well? (I'm still searching for a suitable closed-back.) What open-back headphone do you think represents a good overall upgrade of the LCD-3? What DAC/amps do you find work especially well or poorly with it?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #4,917 of 6,385
Complement: I'd look at the Audioquest Nightowl or mayyyyybe the MrSpeakers Aeon?

Upgrade: The LCD-4 is all I've got. I didn't think the Focal offerings were a step up.

DAC/Amp: Questyle CMA400i all day long, but the Hugo 2 is a powerhouse.

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #4,918 of 6,385
I got my LCD-3 about a month ago, and joined this forum a few days ago. I'm using the LCD-3 with my Hugo 2, with Tidal Hi-Fi and Spotify 320 as sources, and so far I love it.

For those who've owned the LCD-3 for a long time, what are your feelings about it? What headphones do you feel complement it well? (I'm still searching for a suitable closed-back.) What open-back headphone do you think represents a good overall upgrade of the LCD-3? What DAC/amps do you find work especially well or poorly with it?
Welcome to the forums. You’d do well to have a browse back to around 2016 on this thread - you’ll pick up some great tips and gear combos.

Personally I’ve paired my LCD-3F with a ZMF Atticus, which provides a fun, more punchy and still highly resolving and airy listen. They make a great pair (and even share cables - which for me was important). The Atticus is my daily driver when I don’t want to be distributed, and the LCD comes out for that special, laid back evening listening session.

If you haven’t done so already I suggest picking up the new suspension headband (steel or CF) as it literally transforms the LCD-3 into one of he most comfortable headphones I’ve worn to date.

As for amps/dacs, that’s a very deep rabbit hole. I’ve currebtly got both my headphones paired to an Audio-GD R2R-11, which costs about $1500 less than your Hugo, and I find it supreme - especially the NOS ladder dac which makes everything sound effortless and organic. If you’re more of an analytical listener, it probably won’t be your pick.

Can’t imagine what I’d get as an ‘upgrade’ to the LCD-3 other than an LCD-4, but that pushes the sound closer to neutral and also costs as much as two LCD-3s! As for source upgrades, for me I’m eyeing the AGD NFB-1/R2R-1 stack, but it’s not a priority.

HTH. Enjoy!

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #4,919 of 6,385

Pics below. Enjoy.

Do my eyes deceive me or is that brown leather on the headband? One of the reasons of me not getting the CF one was that the leather was black.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #4,920 of 6,385
Do my eyes deceive me or is that brown leather on the headband? One of the reasons of me not getting the CF one was that the leather was black.
I’m afraid your eyes deceive you, it is black leather. I also thought this would be an issue, given the (dark) brown earpads, but since the metal on the headband looks and feels the same as the metal on the earcup holders (unlike the CF which just looks odd), the perforated black leather strap actually makes for a very nice two-tone black/brown effect with the brown leather and wood and black steel grates. I was always going to get a friend (who happens to own a leather factory) to make me a custom colour matched brown strap in place of the black, but now that I have it (and also realize how comfy it is) I’m not going to bother. It looks and feels fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back