Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #4,876 of 6,385
Mar 27, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #4,877 of 6,385
I purchased classic LCD-3 new in early 2014 then sent back for the fazor upgrade a few months later
How early in 2014? Mine were QCed in the Audeze factory in Feb 2014 and they already came with fazors. I was probably one of the first to get LCD-3s with fazors, because I have a S/N beginning with 261, and soon after they began with a new S/N prefix to distinguish the fazored ones (I believe).

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #4,878 of 6,385
How early in 2014? Mine were QCed in the Audeze factory in Feb 2014 and they already came with fazors. I was probably one of the first to get LCD-3s with fazors, because I have a S/N beginning with 261, and soon after they began with a new S/N prefix to distinguish the fazored ones (I believe).

Hmm. I would have to check my serial number. Maybe I purchased them in late 2013. They were sent back with the fazor upgrade in May 2014. So, I guess I must be one of the few who have the older drivers and have had virtually no problems at all. I hope to have a chance to compare mine to a newer version. I have been so incredibly satisfied with them that I am reluctant to let them go - which would be necessary for me to justify upgrading to LCD4 as I am considering.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #4,879 of 6,385
Hmm. I would have to check my serial number. Maybe I purchased them in late 2013. They were sent back with the fazor upgrade in May 2014. So, I guess I must be one of the few who have the older drivers and have had virtually no problems at all. I hope to have a chance to compare mine to a newer version. I have been so incredibly satisfied with them that I am reluctant to let them go - which would be necessary for me to justify upgrading to LCD4 as I am considering.
Have you heard the 4's? I haven't but I read too many conflicting opinions on them. Maybe they're very dependent on the entire chain, maybe the production is not consistent or maybe they just aren't for everyone. My point is if you have an option to hear them, do it before you sell your LCD-3. The newer version of LCD-3 is improved IMO, but it's not night and day. So I would upgrade them only if I can get a great deal somehow.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #4,880 of 6,385
Have you heard the 4's? I haven't but I read too many conflicting opinions on them. Maybe they're very dependent on the entire chain, maybe the production is not consistent or maybe they just aren't for everyone. My point is if you have an option to hear them, do it before you sell your LCD-3. The newer version of LCD-3 is improved IMO, but it's not night and day. So I would upgrade them only if I can get a great deal somehow.
I have read more conflicting opinions about the 3 than the 4 but I have owned both so I know at least 4 is much better than the 3

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #4,883 of 6,385
Damn this looks good.
A little bit too expensive for me at the moment though :frowning2:
Looking for something under 500US$ that will be a great fit.

I had my drivers replaced last year, so they should be the newer fazors and I have them pair with a Schiit Lyr 2. Considering that the LCD3s have a thick sound, I was worried that the LYR2 would be too warm due to the tubes, but it actually sounds perfect for me. The LYR2 is a hybrid amp and to my ears they sound more solid state than tubes.

Apr 5, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #4,884 of 6,385
I sure do love my Mojo > CMA600i > LCD 3 setup. I foolishly purchased the LCD-MX4s without demoing them. I was such a fan of the 2,X,3 that I figured it was a sure bet. Boy was I wrong. They are HORRIFIC considering the price. It really has me scared to upgrade to the 4.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #4,885 of 6,385
I sure do love my Mojo > CMA600i > LCD 3 setup. I foolishly purchased the LCD-MX4s without demoing them. I was such a fan of the 2,X,3 that I figured it was a sure bet. Boy was I wrong. They are HORRIFIC considering the price. It really has me scared to upgrade to the 4.
I hope this doesn’t come off as dumb, but why the questyle 600i? I’m really looking to upgrade from the deckard. I don’t have any way of demoing the amp with my 3’s. Is it on the warm or neutral side?

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #4,886 of 6,385
I hope this doesn’t come off as dumb, but why the questyle 600i? I’m really looking to upgrade from the deckard. I don’t have any way of demoing the amp with my 3’s. Is it on the warm or neutral side?

I went Deckard to CMA400i. It's absolutely worth it for the LCD-3. The Deckard doesn't seem to power it quite right, they sound cooler than they should.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #4,887 of 6,385

100% Neutral - Transparent - Smooth - Resolving - Powerful. It will sound just like the DAC that is hooked up to it. The built-in DAC is "Meh". Thankfully 90% of the device is all AMP and there is a switch to bypass it right on the front. I think it is one of the best AMPs on the market for its price and will take your LCD-3s to its limit. I am upgrading my DAC to the Chord Qutest and im quit sure I will be shocked at what the LCD-3s are capable of once again.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #4,888 of 6,385
100% Neutral - Transparent - Smooth - Resolving - Powerful. It will sound just like the DAC that is hooked up to it. The built-in DAC is "Meh". Thankfully 90% of the device is all AMP and there is a switch to bypass it right on the front. I think it is one of the best AMPs on the market for its price and will take your LCD-3s to its limit. I am upgrading my DAC to the Chord Qutest and im quit sure I will be shocked at what the LCD-3s are capable of once again.
I thought CMA600i has a much better DAC than what's in the Mojo. CMA600i DAC expands the soundstage on a Audeze like no other DAC in that price range can imo.

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #4,889 of 6,385
Everyone likes to say that the DAC portion of an all in one is bad. I see it all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back