Audez'e LCD 2 vs Denon D7000 ?
May 31, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #61 of 452
Quite a contradiction there don't you think?
wink_face.gif

To me there were two main differences between D2k and D7k: bass quality and mids. Mids weren't a problem for me because you can always EQ if it sounded recessed. As for bass, D7k were simply better and EQ wouldn't fix it. However, being a hip-hop listener, the bloater bass on D2k is sometimes forgiving on such genre, whereas on trance and EDM music it needs to be quicker and clearer and this is where D7k can excel at. D7k also performs better on acoustic music, but I have HD600 for that.

One more reason for me preferring D2k + HD600 to D7k is because I don't have an air conditioner at home, in which case Denons are unusable during the summer. On the other hand I can't own the LCD-2 by itself either because sometimes I need minimum sound leakage. This is why owning two headphones consisting of open and closed designs is so versatile. It's not all about the sound.

That being said I still wanna try the Audeze. Based on the reviews and comments you would think these are the holy grail of all headphones.

I greatly disagree that bass and mids are the main differences. The d2ks are sibilant, the 7ks are not. The d2ks have bloated bass, the d7ks do not. The d2ks sounds cold, the 7ks are lush romantic and musical. The d2k mids are greatly recessed and muddied, the d7ks are not and sounds natural. The d2k treble is harsh, the d7k treble is sweet and pure. All of this is IMO of course. Sorry to stray off topic, but I just had to respond.

May 31, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #62 of 452
interesting. i'll definitely keep doing research, and thanks for your input.

Quote:

Don't take away my membership card, but I think LCD-2 sounds just fine with the E9.  According to Innerfidelity measurements, one sample of LCD-2 took 0.24 mW to reach 90 dB (SPL) and a second sample took 0.55 mW.  Also, impedance vs. frequency is very flat.  E9 claims to put out 1 W into 16 ohms and 80 mW into 600 ohms.  I tried using Ohm's Law to calculate what the theoretical output would be into 48-50 ohms, but if I use 1 W into 16 ohms, I get a different E than if I use the 80 into 600.  I dunno if that means I'm doing the math wrong or if FiiOs' specs are not accurate.

May 31, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #63 of 452
I'm listening to my D2000s right now with T1s, HD800s, D7000s etc right next to me and they're still extremely enjoyable. Inferior to my D7000s, of course, but I still love them as much as ever. People exaggerate the flaws of the D2000 expecting them to be perfect at their price point. If I enjoy them after hearing all these other cans and more, believe me when I say they're unbelievably good for the price and right type of music.

May 31, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #64 of 452

Quote:
I greatly disagree that bass and mids are the main differences. The d2ks are sibilant, the 7ks are not. The d2ks have bloated bass, the d7ks do not. The d2ks sounds cold, the 7ks are lush romantic and musical. The d2k mids are greatly recessed and muddied, the d7ks are not and sounds natural. The d2k treble is harsh, the d7k treble is sweet and pure. All of this is IMO of course. Sorry to stray off topic, but I just had to respond.

Well if you wanna play that way..
biggrin.gif

"The d2ks are sibilant, the 7ks are not" - I agree, but sibilance isn't constantly apparent compared to bass and mids.

"The d2ks have bloated bass, the d7ks do not." - I clearly mentioned this, so how can you "greatly disagree"? Even if you believe sibilance is the main difference you're somewhat agreeing with me here.

"The d2ks sounds cold, the 7ks are lush romantic and musical" - D2k do not sound cold. D7k is just warmer (either way I didn't find the difference too big here). You want cold try the K701.

"The d2k mids are greatly recessed and muddied, the d7ks are not and sounds natural." - Again I mentioned the mids being recessed.

"The d2k treble is harsh, the d7k treble is sweet and pure." - This can apply to the upper mids and highs being sibilant, which you already mentioned.

I also apologize for getting off topic. I thought I had to mention this as well. Likewise, this is all IMO.

May 31, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #65 of 452

Quote:
Well if you wanna play that way..
biggrin.gif

"The d2ks are sibilant, the 7ks are not" - I agree, but sibilance isn't constantly apparent compared to bass and mids.

"The d2ks have bloated bass, the d7ks do not." - I clearly mentioned this, so how can you "greatly disagree"? Even if you believe sibilance is the main difference you're somewhat agreeing with me here.

"The d2ks sounds cold, the 7ks are lush romantic and musical" - D2k do not sound cold. D7k is just warmer (either way I didn't find the difference too big here). You want cold try the K701.

"The d2k mids are greatly recessed and muddied, the d7ks are not and sounds natural." - Again I mentioned the mids being recessed.

"The d2k treble is harsh, the d7k treble is sweet and pure." - This can apply to the upper mids and highs being sibilant, which you already mentioned.

I also apologize for getting off topic. I thought I had to mention this as well. Likewise, this is all IMO.

You guys are overcomplicating things. The D7000 is obviously superior to the D2000. Yes the D2000 has flaws, but so does any can at that price point. And these flaws certainly aren't as severe as you imagine, considering I enjoy them greatly amongst top tier phones.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #68 of 452
Why are we discussing the differences between the D2k and D7k. It's pretty obvious the D7k is the better can. Whether the differences are small or big is a matter of personal opinion. 

+1

I sold my D2K's within 1 hour of receiving my D7K's.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #69 of 452

Quote:
I guess the question is- is the LCD-2 $400-500 better than the D7000 (given what you can get the D7000 for)?

Am I missing something ? I thought LCD2 is about the same price as D7000.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #70 of 452

Quote:
Another nod to the LCD2, and yes the LCD2 is worth the price difference. I am one of those people that feel that expensive cans aren't worth it. I passed on the D7000, feeling that I could get far better money's worth out of a D2000, which gave me maybe 80% of the D7000 at 20% of the price. But the LCD2 is one of those cans that just breaks my rules, it's a $1000 can but I felt like I would get my money's worth out of it. I've had extensive testing with the LCD2 and finally broke down and ordered one. Still waiting though, that queue is a killer.

Really ? Are you on the waiting list for LCD2 ?
I ordered mine and got it delivered to my Canada, Toronto.  All took 3 business days.

Maybe I was lucky :)

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #71 of 452

Quote:
Sorry if at all OT, but I've been heavily considering the LCD2 for a home set up.

Have any LCD2 owners used the Peachtree Audio iDecco as an amp/dac/source solution? Would it be adequate?

I had a chance to hear Peachtree at one of local store (Bay Bloor Radio) in Canada Toronto and I didn't like the sound at all.
The headphone I tried - HD800, - Grado PS1000, AH-D7000, HD650, HD600.

NOTE: I don't have lot of budget so I am ordering Burson HA-160D, it comes with Amp/DAC combo, and for the source I heard Onkyo is pretty good.

cheers.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #72 of 452

Quote:
Sorry if at all OT, but I've been heavily considering the LCD2 for a home set up.

Have any LCD2 owners used the Peachtree Audio iDecco as an amp/dac/source solution? Would it be adequate?

I have the Peachtree Audio Nova and it drove the LCD-2 just fine.  Planars are apparently not my cuppa so I sold the LCD-2 and am contemplating the D7000.  HTH.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #73 of 452

Quote:

Am I missing something ? I thought LCD2 is about the same price as D7000.

Street price for the D7000 is +/- $300 cheaper than the LCD2.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #74 of 452
Thanks bbophead and Canadian411... I may look to the iNova in lieu of the Decco as I really like the ipod integration and the "monolithic" dac/amp combo.

Canadian411, you've got pm.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #75 of 452

Quote:

I had a chance to hear Peachtree at one of local store (Bay Bloor Radio) in Canada Toronto and I didn't like the sound at all.
The headphone I tried - HD800, - Grado PS1000, AH-D7000, HD650, HD600.

NOTE: I don't have lot of budget so I am ordering Burson HA-160D, it comes with Amp/DAC combo, and for the source I heard Onkyo is pretty good.

cheers.

same here.. it wasn't bad, but very.. underwhelming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back