May 31, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #46 of 452

Quote:
I'm more interested in a detailed comparison between your T1 and LCD-2 
biggrin.gif

You'll likely have one tomorrow when I'm supposed to finally get them
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #47 of 452

Quote:
I have the newer edition of the LCD-2 and found them to be supremely comfortable; slightly less than the D7ks. 
As for SQ, TO ME there really is no comparison. Midrange is much better, isolation is top notch, highs are not spiky while the bass is much more refined and less boomy. Since the D7ks sell for $800+ now, it's really a no-brainer to pick the LCDs over the Denons.

Try low $600's

May 31, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #50 of 452
From what I have been reading, the days of the $600 D7000 are gone.

May 31, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #51 of 452
i'm highly considering this topic, D7K vs. LCD-2, especially as my hours at work have recently been extended = more $$ for toys 
dt880smile.png
 I'm satisfied enough with my current setup, Pro-900/Blue Dragon + E9 but i find myself loving/hating how colored the Pro 900's are. unbeatable for EDM, awful for rock/most anything else. From what i've read here, i would simply buy the LCD-2 and be done with it. However... i only want to spend about $1k, and this means if i did the LCD-2 I would have no money to upgrade my amp. i'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume the E9, great as it is, is just not what you'd want to be powering the LCD-2 with, and that i'd need at least an additional $500 to pick up a decent amp. i know for a fact the D7K + E7/E9 combo would work well but i'm worried that it wouldn't be enough of an upgrade from the Pro 900 to justify it... should I just wait a few more months until I can go full-on into the world of LCD-2 + schiit lyr/something equivalent? i think i've just answered my own question... but if there's a chance that the E9 could limp along with the LCD-2's for a few months while i built up the funds for a proper amp, i might honestly consider doing that... if the LCD-2 is really this good, i could theoretically sell the Pro900 + BD cable (and even the E7/E9 combo) and use those funds for an amp. i listen primarily to EDM, with some rock and hip hop on the side. i do tons of gaming and tv watching but that's all handled phenomenally by the 990's. any suggestions/comments are appreciated. 

May 31, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #53 of 452
I'm loving my Denons more than ever before, so I can't wait to compare. I'll post it here as well.

As for $600 Denons, I got mine for $1000. It WAS possible to get them for $600-650 from calling J&R before I ordered them, but when I was buying mine they were out of stock. I called them up and they told me they don't know when they'll get new stock. I talked to one of the reps the guys who got it for $650 mentioned, and he told me once they're back in stop it's going to be MSRP. I don't know if that's true, but there it is. They still don't have any in stock. The cheapest new pair when I bought them was $879 from butterflyphoto, which never shipped them. Ended up buying em for full MSRP from the ever reliable Onecall.

May 31, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #54 of 452
[size=10pt]Hmm... interesting thread.[/size]
[size=10pt]I think the leap from HD600 to HD800 is quantum (a completely different sound).  From D2k to D7k; they are not as different in terms of overall sonic qualities, but still a huge improvement. I don’t quite understand how D2k + HD600 bests the D7k. Having owned them, it certainly didn't for me, as both were too flawed.[/size]
[size=10pt]I really appreciated the HD600 and the way it presented the majority of the sound. My main issue with the HD600 was its roll-off in the upper end.[/size]

[size=10pt]As for the D7k, the only thing that would improve them for me would be greater isolation. That said, if the greater isolation was detrimental to the sound in any way, I'd forgo it.[/size]

[size=10pt]With my rig, the D7k trumps the LCD2 for me sonically. As for fit, there was no comparison. Even the latest iteration of the LCD2 was uncomfortable. It was heavy and felt very ‘industrial’, whereas the D7k always feels great, even after hours of wear. It is soft and light.[/size]

[size=10pt]I know that the D7k has a sonic oddity... or two, but for me there is no music that they reproduce poorly. They are lush and rich and fast and crisp all at the same time. They give body to the instrument, but also the 'air' for them to appear in the space. The ‘soundstage’ (and I really don’t like addressing this) is just right for me. The music is just outside my ears. It’s not feet from my ears. It’s right where I want it to be. It’s not that there isn't a spatial quality… it’s just not too constricted nor too open. I get the spatial cues from the recorded music, not from the cans.[/size]

[size=10pt]The LCD2 has a very ‘open’ quality to the sound. It’s almost too open for my tastes and to me doesn’t seem grounded or set in a stereophonic space. It’s not just with the LCD2; I had this same issue with the HD800 and to a lesser extent with the HE-6 (which I preferred to the LCD2). I actually didn't feel this way about the HD600 even though they are very transparent to outside noise.[/size]

[size=10pt]To be sure, this is all personal taste, but the D7k produces music the way it is most enjoyable to me. It also happens to produce the (well) recorded sound in a manner that seems (to my ears) to be most faithful to the instruments I know well. This is my test, and the vast majority of my listening is to classical and acoustic music[/size]

May 31, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #55 of 452
It really is a matter of preference. IMO, all flagship or top tier cans are good. Each one just presents a different flavor. As to comments of it not being a giant leap between the d2k and d7k, IMO, it's completely false. I don't like the d2ks; really didn't care for them at all. For that reason I decided before I spent a dime on the d7ks, I would have to listen to them first. And when I did, I was blown away at how much better they sounded. For me, it was a bigger differnce between the hd600 and hd800. But really, the only way to know which sounds better between the lcd2 and d7ks is to audition them yourself.

May 31, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #56 of 452
I have corrected a badly misspelled word in my previous post and appologize for not seeing it before I submitted it. I now see that it's best to proof read every post before submitting. Again I apologize to everyone and hope too many people didn't see it before I corrected it. I guess I need to stop using my iPad to make posts.:mad:

May 31, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #57 of 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanchyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[edited]

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume the E9, great as it is, is just not what you'd want to be powering the LCD-2 with, and that i'd need at least an additional $500 to pick up a decent amp.

Don't take away my membership card, but I think LCD-2 sounds just fine with the E9.  According to Innerfidelity measurements, one sample of LCD-2 took 0.24 mW to reach 90 dB (SPL) and a second sample took 0.55 mW.  Also, impedance vs. frequency is very flat.  E9 claims to put out 1 W into 16 ohms and 80 mW into 600 ohms.  I tried using Ohm's Law to calculate what the theoretical output would be into 48-50 ohms, but if I use 1 W into 16 ohms, I get a different E than if I use the 80 into 600.  I dunno if that means I'm doing the math wrong or if FiiOs' specs are not accurate.

May 31, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #58 of 452

Quote:
It really is a matter of preference. IMO, all flagship or top tier cans are good. Each one just presents a different flavor. As to comments of it not being a giant leap between the d2k and d7k, IMO, it's completely false. I don't like the d2ks; really didn't care for them at all. For that reason I decided before I spent a dime on the d7ks, I would have to listen to them first. And when I did, I was blown away at how much better they sounded. For me, it was a bigger differnce between the hd600 and hd800. But really, the only way to know which sounds better between the lcd2 and d7ks is to audition them yourself.

Quite a contradiction there don't you think?
wink_face.gif

To me there were two main differences between D2k and D7k: bass quality and mids. Mids weren't a problem for me because you can always EQ if it sounded recessed. As for bass, D7k were simply better and EQ wouldn't fix it. However, being a hip-hop listener, the bloater bass on D2k is sometimes forgiving on such genre, whereas on trance and EDM music it needs to be quicker and clearer and this is where D7k can excel at. D7k also performs better on acoustic music, but I have HD600 for that.

One more reason for me preferring D2k + HD600 to D7k is because I don't have an air conditioner at home, in which case Denons are unusable during the summer. On the other hand I can't own the LCD-2 by itself either because sometimes I need minimum sound leakage. This is why owning two headphones consisting of open and closed designs is so versatile. It's not all about the sound.

That being said I still wanna try the Audeze. Based on the reviews and comments you would think these are the holy grail of all headphones.

May 31, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #59 of 452
No it's not a contradiction. That's why you see the letters IMO. It is a matter of preference. And the matter of preference phrase you are using isn't about d2k vs d7k, but it pertains to which is better between the lcd2 and d7k. So please don't take my quotes out of context.

May 31, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #60 of 452

Quote:
No it's not a contradiction. That's why you see the letters IMO. It is a matter of preference. And the matter of preference phrase you are using isn't about d2k vs d7k, but it pertains to which is better between the lcd2 and d7k. So please don't take my quotes out of context.

ahh ok. I understand what you're saying. Personally I think EVERYTHING in audio is a matter of preference. I think that's where I was confused at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back