Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #3,676 of 13,132
  Has anyone had experience with both leather + suede pads?

I was thinking about switching to suede, but how is it?  I have seen some say there is a drop in bass, but others say there isn't.

I haven't heard leather LCD-2s, but I love my suede pads. Very comfortable and breathable.

Can't say anything about the sound though... I like the bass as it is (even with Fazor) and I'm doing a lot of EDM (psy/prog trance, dubstep and dark d'n'b).

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #3,677 of 13,132
I've posted numerous times on the subject. If you find those posts lacking, feel free to contract me via PM.

Audeze said there was no change in bass response, comparing the FR charts kinda confirms that, except gentle 30 Hz roll-off (even at 25 Hz it's only -4dB):

Most EDM producers use the HP filter to cut off everything below 30 Hz anyway. In the real world only organ goes lower than that.

So what's the point? 

PS: No need to be sassy - this is a friendly forum... for the most part. 

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3,678 of 13,132
I was just stuck on my phone, hence the pithy comment. I wasn't trying to be a sass
beerchug.gif
, haha. Here's a recent post I did make that could help you see my point of view, it's not entirely complete, especially regarding recording cutoffs that are quite real, but I think it covers the subject pretty thoroughly. http://www.head-fi.org/t/729905/audeze-headphone-choice-assistance-rcommendations-please#post_10784423

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #3,679 of 13,132
Aug 10, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3,680 of 13,132
  I was just stuck on my phone, hence the pithy comment. I wasn't trying to be a sass
beerchug.gif
, haha. Here's a recent post I did make that could help you see my point of view, it's not entirely complete, especially regarding recording cutoffs that are quite real, but I think it covers the subject pretty thoroughly. http://www.head-fi.org/t/729905/audeze-headphone-choice-assistance-rcommendations-please#post_10784423

I see what some reviewers mean, but it doesn't correspond with the measurements and Audeze claims. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm just trying to be objective here...

I've just put some of the hardest hitting bass tracks I have (Bassnectar's Cozza Frenzy album) and looked through a Frequency Analyzer.

Anything below 30 Hz peaks at -30dB, which at normal listening volume is just an inaudible LF noise (also human hearing is not really super sensitive in this region).

You can check here:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #3,681 of 13,132
  Did you remove the dust filter and put your own thinner material or is that a stock non-leather earpad ?

This is a stock and unaltered brand new Audeze LCD-2 with Vegan pads. Purchased last week from Audeze.com.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3,682 of 13,132

Did you remove the dust filter and put your own thinner material or is that a stock non-leather earpad ?

Do the leather padded LCDs have a thicker pad between the driver and your ear?  I also have non-leather pads with that super thin filter and it does seem like hair could find its way into the driver quite easily.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,683 of 13,132

I see what some reviewers mean, but it doesn't correspond with the measurements and Audeze claims. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm just trying to be objective here...

I've just put some of the hardest hitting bass tracks I have (Bassnectar's Cozza Frenzy album) and looked through a Frequency Analyzer.

Anything below 30 Hz peaks at -30dB, which at normal listening volume is just an inaudible LF noise (also human hearing is not really super sensitive in this region).

You can check here:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-impressions-thread/2625#post_10533444
I never saw any Audeze claims about bass response, I'd love to see that (not being snarky, I promise!). Also, I agree about the roll off being frequencies that the ear has a hard time hearing. This does not mean that these frequencies add nothing, contain no information, are undetectable, or unimportant to some listeners. I've never heard anybody compare the bass of the pre and post Fazor and say they're the same. It's about the weight of the bass that's changed. I'm just as interested as you as to why these differences are occuring, when it is such LF noise that's being affected. I'm an objectivist too, (little 'o', haha).

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #3,684 of 13,132
  I never saw any Audeze claims about bass response, I'd love to see that (not being snarky, I promise!). 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-impressions-thread/2625#post_10533444

Well, LCD-3 rolls off pretty steeply from 50-60 Hz, which is definitely audible on bass heavy tracks - no doubts here. This is the most important low range and cutting it down ... well, I guess they were just catering to audiophile snobs, who generally prefer bass lighter cans with elevated highs (where brightness is often confused with detail and resolution). But it's definitely not the case with LCD-2, even the latest one with a Fazor... 

Regarding that claim, I think I've seen some member in this thread posting a negative reply from Audeze support regarding the Fazor's impact on LCD-2 bass response. That correlates with my FR graph and I don't consider a 30 Hz roll-off an impacting factor here. But you might disagree, of course...

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #3,685 of 13,132
  Do the leather padded LCDs have a thicker pad between the driver and your ear?  I also have non-leather pads with that super thin filter and it does seem like hair could find its way into the driver quite easily.

I have the leather pads, and a late 2013 pre-fazor version, and that pad between the driver and ear is exactly the same as in the picture. it's thin, but it is also "slicker" like compared to my denon d5000 the pad in those has a lot of loose strands and frays a lot, and acts like velcro to hair, almost like pulling out strands from cotton. the audeze fabric is much more solid and rougher, so hair wont get stuck as easily. If I'm wrong I'll let you know in a few months after they get used more lol.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #3,686 of 13,132

I have 2.1 pad and the dust filter is much thicker...you really want it as thin as possible, because if the can is not treble bright there is no reason for a thick filter.
As long as it seals, no hair should get through.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #3,687 of 13,132
  I'm just as interested as you as to why these differences are occuring, when it is such LF noise that's being affected. I'm an objectivist too, (little 'o', haha).

On another hand, I've also seen someone posting a graph from his Fazor'd LCD-2, which looked much worse than mine (steeper roll-off below 50-60 Hz, much like LCD-3)

So variation between headphones is here at play too. Maybe they've addressed that in later production models like mine so I'm not noticing anything? Of course I have no idea how older LCD-2 sounds...

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #3,688 of 13,132
  actually the whole time i had an issue with the bass, and when i used to read how good the bass is on non fazor i was saying dam why don't i agree with them, but now come to know i have the fazor it kinda explains everything why the bass is not as people say

i was wondering can i downgrade to prefazor, are all audeze after 2013 fazor

is there anything that can improve the bass on fazor lcd2 like a cable or anything else, damping, or modding

The most common problem of the people who finds the LCD-2 bass weak is the idea of the bass they had before. LCD-2 bass, Fazor or Pre-Fazor, is extraordinary, lineal, textured, controlled, fast, punchy. And that is a very good bass. You want quantity bass? Then get another headphone. Quantity =! Quality.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #3,689 of 13,132
i am confused does the lcd 3 have more bass or less than lcd2 rev 2 fazor version

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #3,690 of 13,132

I haven't heard leather LCD-2s, but I love my suede pads. Very comfortable and breathable.

Can't say anything about the sound though... I like the bass as it is (even with Fazor) and I'm doing a lot of EDM (psy/prog trance, dubstep and dark d'n'b).

How warm do they get after a few hours of use?  I wear my LCD-2F sometimes 10 hours a day, the leather is never uncomfortable, but it does get pretty hot after awhile.  Not enough to warrant taking them off in annoyance, but enough to notice it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back