Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #3,646 of 13,134
I have not yet been able to hear the lcd 2 out of a good amp, but in a couple weeks I should probably have the new violectric stuff. The thing I wanted to add to this thread though is the fact that the lcd 2 is the first pair of headphones I have that when I first listened to them, totally not burned in, straight out of the laptop's headphone jack before I had my first amp and dac set up and running, they still were able to impress me over my denon d5000 and beyerdynamic dt 990. Even in that severly underpowered, super quiet set up, I could still hear the instant improvement in sound quality, the better separation, better details, better imaging, just better overall even without any bass or treble (since it was that underpowered lol). I think under those conditions the lcd 2 shows how good it really is overall in the headphone world, despite having 3 more expensive models, a good bit of solid competition, and needing a nice amount of amping to sound great, it still was able to show itself off and sound genuinely impressive. Ive heard many other headphones, and speakers, mostly lower end, some high end, a few mid end, but very few things ever gave off the immediate reaction of "wow" where what you're hearing is just awesome and you want to know how all the stuff you're familiar with sound through this. I just wanted to share that as a response to posts in multiple threads over the years from people saying they were not impressed with the lcd 2 but grew to love it later, and that it doesn't have anything that immediately impresses you.

This sounds similar to my first listening audition with a planar driver vs a dynamic driver. Instant improvement and it gets even better with better gear and good masters in the audio chain.

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #3,647 of 13,134
Wow... I'm really impressed by LCD-2's reproducing the piano. Even HD-650 is no match to it.

Ah...I can still remember my immediate reactions upon hearing an acoustic piano in a sound treated studio like environment. It could really fill the room up with powerful clear full sound. Never had to amplify the drumkit and piano...everything else normally was.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #3,649 of 13,134
  Portable?? You are joking, right?
Wear the LCD2/3 around in public, and you WILL be mugged!
Methinks the Audezes were designed for home use, non-mobilus, mon ami.

i won't walk around with it, but like to listen to it not in place at home using a portable player and amp, like in my garden. So no need to redicule my question

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #3,650 of 13,134
The Pan Am + passport is for youuuuu !!!
Dac + tube amp + wonderful sounding = :beerchug:

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #3,651 of 13,134
I know I post about that amp, but people don't realize how good this little piece of audio makes the lcd 2's sing
Great musicality and gorgeous textured bass

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #3,652 of 13,134
  i won't walk around with it, but like to listen to it not in place at home using a portable player and amp, like in my garden. So no need to redicule my question

Sorry, not ridiculing your Q. Just unusual one, as the weight of the LCD2 isn't ideal for walking around. The drivers may have been optimized for stationary positioning, with minimal head mvts.
cheers,

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #3,653 of 13,134

Not so sure about that, most people would be targeting beats if they wanted to steal some cans - nobody would know how expensive a pair of LCD are 
wink.gif

I'm tempted to wear a pair of LCD2 out in the street just for the weirded out looks from everyone!

Australia should be generally safe. Definitely not if I were in Harlem (used to live near West 168th in Manhattan).
They look exotic and expensive, especially when attached to a portable amp and iPod Classic.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #3,654 of 13,134
The Pan Am + passport is for youuuuu !!!
Dac + tube amp + wonderful sounding =
beerchug.gif

Nice call.

I've read the Headfonia review, in which the Asgard 2 was recommended as the sweet spot amp for LCD-2. Do you agree? Some say the Lyr 2 is better because it has more power. But I never drive my cans really hard anyway, since I listen to mostly classical and jazz vocals. Rock, I never go past 12 noon on my BHA-1 and Soloist (H gain). So, would you rec Asgard 2? It has enough power to drive LCD2 comfortably, I think.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #3,655 of 13,134
Nice call.

I've read the Headfonia review, in which the Asgard 2 was recommended as the sweet spot amp for LCD-2. Do you agree? Some say the Lyr 2 is better because it has more power. But I never drive my cans really hard anyway, since I listen to mostly classical and jazz vocals. Rock, I never go past 12 noon on my BHA-1 and Soloist (H gain). So, would you rec Asgard 2? It has enough power to drive LCD2 comfortably, I think.

I love my Asgard 2 with LCD-2. It has ton of power to spare - I even use it in low-gain mode.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #3,656 of 13,134
I'd recommend the Pan Am as well. Get it before it's gone! End of the line when they sell out and stock is limited.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3,657 of 13,134
I love my Asgard 2 with LCD-2. It has ton of power to spare - I even use it in low-gain mode.

Toying with gettin' an Asg-2. Have Burson Soloist for my 2.2 right now. Nice analog-like sound. Not sure if Asg-2 would top it.

Anybody try a Dragonfly 1.0 + Asgard-2 combo yet? Out of iTunes lossless.

cheers

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #3,658 of 13,134
I'm looking for the ultimate warm headphones.  I have the HD650 now and I'm curious about the non-Fazor LCD-2.  Can they still be purchased new?

Is the LCD-3 non-Fazor as warm as the LCD-2 non-Fazor?

Has there only been one revision to the LCD-2 which added the Fazor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back