Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3,706 of 13,134

Can't say about the blacks... but my browns do not look dusty at all after couple days on the desk.

Brown does tend to be more forgiving than black microsuede I guess... HiFiMan black velour earpads are dust magnets from day 0. Just hope the micro-suede have no bass suck.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #3,709 of 13,134
Suede is said to open up treble up with a potential loss on the bass, depending on who you ask.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #3,710 of 13,134
Suede is said to open up treble up with a potential loss on the bass, depending on who you ask.

unless the pads change the distance between the driver and the ear canal, I just don't see how they can change the freq profile substantially.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,711 of 13,134

unless the pads change the distance between the driver and the ear canal, I just don't see how they can change the freq profile substantially.

They could, if they seal out the back wave less well. Someone with both kinds of pads should be able to say whether that's the case.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #3,712 of 13,134

They could, if they seal out the back wave less well. Someone with both kinds of pads should be able to say whether that's the case.

good headphones should have minimal sonic reflections from driver housings, imo.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #3,713 of 13,134
on my mad dogs when i changed the pads to suede i thought it became more bright, so i went back to the original pads

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #3,714 of 13,134
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586157/audeze-lcd-2-vegan-earpads-feedback-installation-mini-review I've tried both leather and vegan... but not on the same cans :frowning2:. I've never played with pad swapping, so I've no idea what to expect.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3,716 of 13,134
good headphones should have minimal sonic reflections from driver housings, imo.

Agreed, but these play the same music out from the back of the drivers as they do from the front of the drivers toward the inside. It's a dipole after all, a flat surface that vibrates between two sets of magnets.
What comes out from the open back, also goes around. If the bass goes around, and back inside the pads from the outside, it will get cancelled out.

I should add that with my leather pads, there is no cancellation, for sure.  Those have strong deep thunderous bass
basshead.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #3,717 of 13,134
Well with HFM cans ,different earpad shapes/materials cause objective changes to the sound curve.
I think guessing, the micro-suede would be slightly more absorbent of bass/sub-bass.
The Audeze pads form so much of the overall look/style and are not so easy to change back and forth that there never seemed to be a lot of LCD-2 pad rolling experimentation like HFM cans. I guess grill change or removal would give a subtle widening of sound-stage as well judging by the Jerg grill mod.

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #3,718 of 13,134
  Well with HFM cans ,different earpad shapes/materials cause objective changes to the sound curve.
I think guessing, the micro-suede would be slightly more absorbent of bass/sub-bass.
The Audeze pads form so much of the overall look/style and are not so easy to change back and forth that there never seemed to be a lot of LCD-2 pad rolling experimentation like HFM cans. I guess grill change or removal would give a subtle widening of sound-stage as well judging by the Jerg grill mod.

well speaking of Jerg mods, his Jergpad for Hifiman headphones is very similar to how audeze pads are attached. using a glue to seal the pad to the headphone, which creates a better seal overall, and creates better bass response. This is most likely the reason why audeze pads are not meant to be easily removable, and are glued in. And leather creates a better seal between skin and pad because it is not porous unlike micro-suede which I'm sure no matter how non-porous they try to make it, will simply not be to the same extent as leather is. But that difference would be really small, much smaller than the difference between having them glued to the headphones vs some less permanent methods, hence why people dont seem to notice too much change.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #3,719 of 13,134
I'm a bit perplexed. I bought a pair of LCD-2s that were supposed to not have fazors. Just to make sure, I emailed Audeze my serial number and build date, which is 12/26/13. They responded that I do indeed have fazors installed in my pair.
The grid just inside the cup that you can touch has flat bars: - - - - - -
Based on info from this thread fazors are: ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Is Audeze just mistaken about my pair, or do I have things wrong?

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #3,720 of 13,134
Sounds like Audeze is mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back