Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #2,056 of 13,132

treat it like a workout lol no joke, my neck actually got stronger and looks straighter (you know how they put books on their heads to train their posture)

First listen, I was disappointed by the LCD 2... I find it bright sounding, sharp highs i don't like, contrary to what it's supposed to be i know... After a few days of listen, it's starting to grow on me,, the highs seems to smoothed out a bit... maybe its the burn in effect :S Also, i noticed setting the Soloist on high gain produced a thicker and heavier sound, moar power!

i too was a little disappointed, at first, but i found them dark, slow, but i almost exclusively have had grado's
and i did get a soloist too, and i too set it on high, and i've much more accosted to them, but i still have some listening to do !

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2,057 of 13,132
I think my LCD-2 cable is wonky. Looking at the cables, on the right side the wires switch (and they don't on the left side). Is it possible that my cable may have reversed polarity/phase on the right cable? How noticeable would that be?

I called Audeze about it and sent them a picture. We'll see what they think.

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #2,058 of 13,132
  i too was a little disappointed, at first, but i found them dark, slow, but i almost exclusively have had grado's
and i did get a soloist too, and i too set it on high, and i've much more accosted to them, but i still have some listening to do !

I must have exceptional sensitivity to highs XD even though, i am comfortable with my 1plus2. but yes, sometimes i feel lcd 2 sound really gets muddy and messy. Good to know i'm not the only person that sets it on high! Me too, i just had it for like three days, more listening to do as well
gs1000.gif

I don't have as many issues with my neck as my head. I can get headaches because of the pressure on the top of my head.

I had the same experience. They are surprisingly bright, but not in a sharp treble way, but more of a "punchy" treble way. I'm getting used to it, though.

ahh I see, I must have a small head, because even brand new i feel the pressure is no problem
tongue_smile.gif
Also, i look so strange wearing the headphone.. because it looks like the headphone is bigger than my head
duggehsmile.png
I thought LCD 2 are the darkest highend headphone you could get, so i was disappointed with that thought.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #2,059 of 13,132
Congrats to all those picking up these excellent cans at the Black Friday prices. You guys are in for a treat. Let this thread be filled with laughter and discussion once again!

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #2,062 of 13,132
I just caved and grabbed the lcd2s black friday sale. I'm coming from an he-400 (which I adore) but I am interested in the lcd2 bigtime. I want the timbre and emotion, and supposedly the bass is a step ahead. 

Have any of you come from the he-400 and liked the audeze more? 

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,063 of 13,132
LCD-2 can be used as speakers for your room without distortion. LOL. Not sure if it's good for their health in the long run of course but it can be done.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #2,064 of 13,132
the question i was asking myself earlier tonight was can i keep my lcd2's because i don't love them as much as my rs1i, or even
as much as the ps500 i previously had.
well, i just spent the last hour or two, listening to miles davis, just over spotify, and the sound these headphones are capable of is amazing, i seem to be expecting to be amazed with every piece i listen to, but maybe that's the wrong way to go about .
"unrealistic expectations" , never good !

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #2,065 of 13,132
  I just caved and grabbed the lcd2s black friday sale. I'm coming from an he-400 (which I adore) but I am interested in the lcd2 bigtime. I want the timbre and emotion, and supposedly the bass is a step ahead. 

the LCD-2 is a nice step up from the HE-400. i know the bass is a step ahead as well as the emotion, if you find you prefer the hifiman sound though theres also the HE-500 
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #2,066 of 13,132

How do you like them? Are they durable and heavy? Are they top-heavy?

Sorry for taking a while to reply. They are very sturdy, solid and rigid. I doubt they'd break easily, I've dropped on the floor before with no worries. I'd say they are not too heavy to me nor are they top heavy, and as such it seems pretty hard for them to topple or anything like that.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2,068 of 13,132

Not trying to be the dissenter BUT...I'll say that I was hugely disappointed with the new lcd2 and sent them back. I owned the he400 for a considerably length of time. While I still had it, about 7-8 months ago, I auditioned the lcd2 and fell in love. I finally caved and got them a few weeks ago. 

They were a shell of their former self. Previously, they were the most emotionally charged hp's I'd ever heard with deep extended bass, lush natural mids and darker highs. Now they seem to have traded that signature for better resolution and clarity while giving up the signature bass. They are unquestionably brighter than before. 

I speculate that some of the change comes from the new softer pads, but I think that they've tuned them differently also after talking to others with a new pair. The only other explanation is that I got a defective pair which is not likely.

What really irritates me is that I sent this question to Audeze three times. And described the change in great detail. The first two times they ignored me. The last time they finally replied and stated that I could send them back for replacement if something was wrong with them. 

One man's experience...

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,069 of 13,132

Not trying to be the dissenter BUT...I'll say that I was hugely disappointed with the new lcd2 and sent them back. I owned the he400 for a considerably length of time. While I still had it, about 7-8 months ago, I auditioned the lcd2 and fell in love. I finally caved and got them a few weeks ago. 

They were a shell of their former self. Previously, they were the most emotionally charged hp's I'd ever heard with deep extended bass, lush natural mids and darker highs. Now they seem to have traded that signature for better resolution and clarity while giving up the signature bass. They are unquestionably brighter than before. 

I speculate that some of the change comes from the new softer pads, but I think that they've tuned them differently also after talking to others with a new pair. The only other explanation is that I got a defective pair which is not likely.

What really irritates me is that I sent this question to Audeze three times. And described the change in great detail. The first two times they ignored me. The last time they finally replied and stated that I could send them back for replacement if something was wrong with them. 

One man's experience...

Hey Matt, sad to hear that. Did you make sure yours were not defective? Sending it back to Audez'e for a quick check up might have improved the situation. Their QC is better these days, but you never know, a bad egg might have slipped through the cracks.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #2,070 of 13,132

One man's experience...

If you decide to go for an used R1 instead, then make sure it still has the old pads on, because the new pads do make a difference (slightly brighter / more open sound). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back