Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #2,041 of 13,134
  OK, got 1 more day to get it at discount...don't have the time (or the patience) to read 137 pages...if I do go for it, is there a difference between the bamboo and the rosewood (aside from the obvious different looks and price difference), in sound quality, comfort, things that make a difference in listening experience? Thanks.

If I did it again, I'd save money and get bamboo ... but these Rosewoods cost me the same price, Bamboo wasn't available and they look gorgeous ... 

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,044 of 13,134
Custom headband - lulz wrong thread. Dunno if it applies to lcd2 as well :p

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2,046 of 13,134
The weight on the lcd2 is an issue for me. I'm speculating the the softer pads result in a decrease in clamp which increases the pressure on the top of head via the headband. I don't find the he500 as uncomfortable which actually weighs a touch more than the lcd2 bamboo. 

The lcd2 headband looks quite comfy but it puts too much pressure on the top of my head to be comfortable for more than about a half hour. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,047 of 13,134
  How do you guys deal with the weight? I have an extra 650 pad on them, and they can still get pretty uncomfortable. Are there any other options?

I find that the old rev-1 style foam headband works well in distributing the weight evenly on the top.  May be hard to find now though.

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #2,048 of 13,134
  How do you guys deal with the weight? I have an extra 650 pad on them, and they can still get pretty uncomfortable. Are there any other options?

I listen partially reclining on my bed, so part of the weight of the headphones is against  a stack of pillows. The only drawback is if you sink to far into the pillows, it starts to damp the sound. A high-backed chair or headrest would also serve the same purpose.

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #2,049 of 13,134
  The weight on the lcd2 is an issue for me. I'm speculating the the softer pads result in a decrease in clamp which increases the pressure on the top of head via the headband. I don't find the he500 as uncomfortable which actually weighs a touch more than the lcd2 bamboo. 

The lcd2 headband looks quite comfy but it puts too much pressure on the top of my head to be comfortable for more than about a half hour. 

Maybe transplant the Audeze drivers/cups onto Hifiman headband/gimbals? The drivers look about the same in diametre so maybe they can be interchangeable with some tinkering.

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2,050 of 13,134
  Maybe transplant the Audeze drivers/cups onto Hifiman headband/gimbals? The drivers look about the same in diametre so maybe they can be interchangeable with some tinkering.

If I were planning to do something that dramatic, I'd replace transplant the Audeze drivers into the hd650. 
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2,051 of 13,134

I had tried to bend my headband to fit the curvature of my head better, but the steel seemed to spring back to the original shape.

They wouldn't be so bad if the headband was a suspension style that distributed the weight better.

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,052 of 13,134

treat it like a workout lol no joke, my neck actually got stronger and looks straighter (you know how they put books on their heads to train their posture)

First listen, I was disappointed by the LCD 2... I find it bright sounding, sharp highs i don't like, contrary to what it's supposed to be i know... After a few days of listen, it's starting to grow on me,, the highs seems to smoothed out a bit... maybe its the burn in effect :S Also, i noticed setting the Soloist on high gain produced a thicker and heavier sound, moar power!

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,053 of 13,134

treat it like a workout lol no joke, my neck actually got stronger and looks straighter (you know how they put books on their heads to train their posture)

First listen, I was disappointed by the LCD 2... I find it bright sounding, sharp highs i don't like, contrary to what it's supposed to be i know... After a few days of listen, it's starting to grow on me,, the highs seems to smoothed out a bit... maybe its the burn in effect :S Also, i noticed setting the Soloist on high gain produced a thicker and heavier sound, moar power!

To me, the weight was never the issue, it was an ergonomic thing with the headband.  The stax weigh similar but are far superior in comfort due to the suspension headband that distributes the weight evenly.

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2,054 of 13,134

That's possible. The old foam headband was also more comfortable.
I'd agree that it becomes an issue in about a half hour with the stock headband. With the 650 pad, I can wear it for a few hours. It's hard coming from the D7000 to this, the D7000 is wonderfully comfortable.

The headband looks comfy, but there's very little padding to speak of, which certainly doesn't help the weight issue.

I find that the old rev-1 style foam headband works well in distributing the weight evenly on the top.  May be hard to find now though.

Agreed, I was surprised at how much more comfortable the old Rev 1 headband was. I'm thinking about making a headband out of some leather, cloth, and memory foam (you can slide the leather bits off the metal band if you remove those 4 screws, right?). I'm not the most handy person, but I might be able to pull it off.

I listen partially reclining on my bed, so part of the weight of the headphones is against  a stack of pillows. The only drawback is if you sink to far into the pillows, it starts to damp the sound. A high-backed chair or headrest would also serve the same purpose.

I've started doing that on my computer chair (it has a pretty high back). I usually like to multitask when listening to music, though.

I don't have as many issues with my neck as my head. I can get headaches because of the pressure on the top of my head.

I had the same experience. They are surprisingly bright, but not in a sharp treble way, but more of a "punchy" treble way. I'm getting used to it, though.

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2,055 of 13,134

That's true. I noticed it at once when I swapped the old rev1 pads for the newest version. But the newer pads are more soft.

That's the pads, too (the just slightly airier brighter sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back