Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,072 of 13,139

Not trying to be the dissenter BUT...I'll say that I was hugely disappointed with the new lcd2 and sent them back. I owned the he400 for a considerably length of time. While I still had it, about 7-8 months ago, I auditioned the lcd2 and fell in love. I finally caved and got them a few weeks ago. 

They were a shell of their former self. Previously, they were the most emotionally charged hp's I'd ever heard with deep extended bass, lush natural mids and darker highs. Now they seem to have traded that signature for better resolution and clarity while giving up the signature bass. They are unquestionably brighter than before. 

I speculate that some of the change comes from the new softer pads, but I think that they've tuned them differently also after talking to others with a new pair. The only other explanation is that I got a defective pair which is not likely.

What really irritates me is that I sent this question to Audeze three times. And described the change in great detail. The first two times they ignored me. The last time they finally replied and stated that I could send them back for replacement if something was wrong with them. 

One man's experience...

It's strange, I was listening to a Rev 1 (old pads, old foam headband) when I decided to get the LCD-2. A couple days later I listened to the new Rev 2 bamboo I have. They weren't all that different to my ears. Slightly tighter bass, a bit more punch in the midrange, a little more highs, and a far less comfortable headband (that foam headband was surprisingly comfortable).

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #2,073 of 13,139
  ^^ Thanks guys. I'm thinking about putting up a wanted ad for the specific version that i'm looking for. 

Can you offer to buy the pair you borrowed and liked so much? Otherwise, it seems like you might be in for a frustrating exercise. If not, I still think you'd be better off waiting for the PM-1, which will likely be in the same price range, lighter and maybe more comfortable, and might have a signature you like more than the LCD-2.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2,074 of 13,139
  Can you offer to buy the pair you borrowed and liked so much? Otherwise, it seems like you might be in for a frustrating exercise. If not, I still think you'd be better off waiting for the PM-1, which will likely be in the same price range, lighter and maybe more comfortable, and might have a signature you like more than the LCD-2.

PM-1 ?? i've not heard about that

on another note, i'm really trying to get a handle on the sound of the lcd2
i'm coming from pretty much all grado, and grado's sound fine at lower, the lcd's need to seem to like a little more volume to open up, is that just me ??

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,075 of 13,139

PM-1 ?? i've not heard about that

on another note, i'm really trying to get a handle on the sound of the lcd2
i'm coming from pretty much all grado, and grado's sound fine at lower, the lcd's need to seem to like a little more volume to open up, is that just me ??

The Oppo PM-1 is a new planar magnetic due to be released Q1 2014.

No question, the LCD-2s sound better at higher volumes and the change isn't subtle.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #2,076 of 13,139

The Oppo PM-1 is a new planar magnetic due to be released Q1 2014.

No question, the LCD-2s sound better at higher volumes and the change isn't subtle.

ohhhhh, oppo, yep, i thought it was a new audeze

that explains a lot, lol, volume wise, over the last week and a half, sometimes i'm just very unimpressed, others i'm shocked at the sound, started noticing some of it was due to volume

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #2,077 of 13,139

ohhhhh, oppo, yep, i thought it was a new audeze

that explains a lot, lol, volume wise, over the last week and a half, sometimes i'm just very unimpressed, others i'm shocked at the sound, started noticing some of it was due to volume

The volume dependence is my biggest quibble with the LCD-2s, because sometimes, I only want to listen at low levels to preserve my hearing. The LCD-X has the same issue, but to a lesser extent than the LCD-2s. My only solution is to shorten my listening sessions.

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #2,078 of 13,139
^^ The pair that I auditioned were sold months ago. Ironically, I could have bought them at the time. I think I wait and see what happens with the oppo. My reservation is buying a revision #1 hp from a company that has not been in the hp game (correct me if I'm wrong about this). 

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,079 of 13,139

It's strange, I was listening to a Rev 1 (old pads, old foam headband) when I decided to get the LCD-2. A couple days later I listened to the new Rev 2 bamboo I have. They weren't all that different to my ears. Slightly tighter bass, a bit more punch in the midrange, a little more highs, and a far less comfortable headband (that foam headband was surprisingly comfortable).

Well, that just about sums it up :)
Minor changes overall, but I found the added air to be quite noticeable with the new pads.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,080 of 13,139
  ^^ The pair that I auditioned were sold months ago. Ironically, I could have bought them at the time. I think I wait and see what happens with the oppo. My reservation is buying a revision #1 hp from a company that has not been in the hp game (correct me if I'm wrong about this). 

You're right--this is a first generation product.  Definitely something to consider.  I like long warranties, like 3 years from Audeze and 5 years for major Schiit. I wouldn't buy a new product with a 1 year warranty.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #2,085 of 13,139
Just received my new LCD-2 Rosewood Vegans. They are beautiful!!!! My Yulong DA8 is on its way now as well. Can't wait! Anyway, I want to get a nice stand to display the LCD-2 when they are not on my head. Any issues with the Sieveking Omega stands? I am concerned they will put too much stress on the band. What is the consensus here? What is the vote for best color match for my combo......walnut or the more exotic Makassar (it is tough to tell from pictures).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back