Are Grado's really that uncomfortable?
Sep 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #61 of 140
I would think Grado's would be uncomfortable to all the users who find "earpad" headphones uncomfortable.

As for me, I cannot stand earpad headphones! Even one of the softest earpad headphones ever, the Sony XB300, is uncomfortable to me.

You have to take into account, they will press your ears flat. If you find that uncomfortable, then all "earpad" headphones would be uncomfortable.

Doesn't matter how soft the material is... If it's an "earpad" headphone, then it's instantly uncomfortable. (For me anyway)
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #62 of 140

Quote:
Well, I'm not saying that they are extremely comfortable or anything, but this board exaggerates how bad they actually are. There is some minor discomfort but nothing that makes you want to put the cans down. Also, like happyhar0ld said, their sound outweights the minor discomfort from wearing them.

I don't think there's much exaggeration going on here. Some people's pinnae are more sensitive to pressure than others. Those people will find Grados (and a lot of other supra-aural headphones) uncomfortable.

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #63 of 140
But again, you can make the pressure arbitrarily close to zero. (I repeat this for the benefit of those who haven't tried it yet- it took me years to discover that myself.)

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #65 of 140

Quote:
But again, you can make the pressure arbitrarily close to zero. (I repeat this for the benefit of those who haven't tried it yet- it took me years to discover that myself.)

That still might not be enough for some people and stretching the headband out this much introduces other problems, as you've already pointed out.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #66 of 140
But there is a high correlation btwn comfort and earpad design.

Quote:
Headphones and philosophy are like oranges and apple(s).

If you keep stretching the headband, the headphones will become more loose obviously. Sound may change, the headphones may move around more causing the pads to chafe more, etc. The heavy thick cords do not help either. They weigh down the headphones and put more pressure onto the ears.

I also don't find all earpad headphones to be uncomfortable. I can tolerate the comfort of almost all headphones, even the ones on the airplane...

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #67 of 140

Quote:

You've had yours for one day. At least wait until you've had them a few months and worn them for hundreds of hours before you put down other people's complaints about comfort.

I'm not putting down other peoples' complaints. After reading about how they fit and then personally experiencing them, they were not as bad as I thought they'd be. Also, aren't they supposed to be the most uncomfortable when you first get them?

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #68 of 140
It takes a lot of use for it to start chafing away on your skin.

What I noticed is that the part that is most uncomfortable is where the toughest and least flexible part of the ear touches the ear pads. They get irritable very quickly.

Quote:
I'm not putting down other peoples' complaints. After reading about how they fit and then personally experiencing them, they were not as bad as I thought they'd be. Also, aren't they supposed to be the most uncomfortable when you first get them?

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #69 of 140
The grado sound is definitely worth the sacrifice of comfort. I've yet to hear another headphone that has the "edgy" sound that grado offers. 

The bowls are my favorite pads for the grados; it really accentuates the grado sound. I've tried the senn 414 pads and comfies, both of those muffle the sound a little bit. Like i said before, the grado sound is worth the sacrifice of comfort, so i'll have to stick with the bowls even when my ears being sanded down. 

I tried moving the headphones around, so that my ears arent sitting on the drivers but rather on the pads. I can't get that to work, i guess my ear flaps are too small or flat, because i cant get it at that angle. 

As for grados uncomfortable fit being an exaggeration, i think its not unbearably uncomfortable, but the chaffing starts after a couple of hours. When i first put them on, its nothing to complain about. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #70 of 140
i never found my sr325s uncomfortable, really, but the cable to each ear kept catching on my chin somehow, very annoying!!  Was using the 'bowl' type cup, and yes they need washing in soapy water cos they get dirty easily and show it, this will help a bit perhaps.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #72 of 140

Quote:
some people have lower thresholds for discomfort! plus, there's so many competitors these days with ergonomic-friendly builds that it makes grado's seem spartan!

well, I still prefer grado earpads over any faux leather/leather earpads, those things do get might sweaty

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #74 of 140

Quote:
Grado flats sound so good but hurt so bad after a while.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//frown.gif" title="
frown.gif
" width="" />

are you sure you aren't talking about the bowls? the pads seem to distribute the stress on the ears a little better

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #75 of 140
I have the Grado RS-1, HF1 and HF2, I've left all untouched and unbent, have used bowls, flats and bagels....IMHO, these are very very comfortable headphones.  I remember when I first put them on after purchasing them, I thought, WOW the lightest headphones I've ever worn...I didn't even know they were there...now, time has passed and I've had mammoth listening sessions...I'm honestly not able to report any discomfort...maybe my head is just the right size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back