Are Grado's really that uncomfortable?
Sep 23, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #91 of 140

Quote:
To me putting the salad bowl pad on any Grado should be consider a side-way move rather than an upgrade. It give you a different sound but you might not like it.
HF-2 seems to the one model in the Grado line that works well with both bowl and GS1000 pads. If you have one of the entry level Grados, $45 might be be too much to spend even if it does work.

Quote:
In my case, if it sounds better, it's an upgrade.  You can find out if you like it better at the dealer.  Then you know.  I will try the G-Cush with the cheaper models, starting with the 60i to the 225i, very soon.  I'll let you know although you might not agree.  Have you tried the G-Cush with the cheaper Grados? I mean, you have some of them in your collection, have you actually tried them?  Sorry, it was unclear to me if you had or had not.

Headphones:Denon D7000;MarkL modded Denon D2000;Grado HP1i; HP2; HF1;HF2;RS1(vintage); RS1(buttonless); GS1000;SR100;SR200;SR325(black); SR225; SR80;Ultrasone Edition9; HFI650; Sony MDR V6. 

me thinks he has tried them on the lower tier grados and didn't find it too satisfying 

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #93 of 140

Quote:

Headphones:Denon D7000;MarkL modded Denon D2000;Grado HP1i; HP2; HF1;HF2;RS1(vintage); RS1(buttonless); GS1000;SR100;SR200;SR325(black); SR225; SR80;Ultrasone Edition9; HFI650; Sony MDR V6. 

me thinks he has tried them on the lower tier grados and didn't find it too satisfying 

You guessed right sir!
I did try them on the lower tier Grados and found that the bigger pads make the phones sound too " distant". For whatever reasons both bowl and GS1000pads work well with HF-2. You have to try them for yourself.

Hey buffalowings,
let us know what you think when you have a chance to try the pads on the other Grados.
If you are lucky enough to have dealer with those headphones to try, make the most of it!

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #94 of 140
I actually find the Grados to be quite comfortable, especially if your switching from some ipod earbuds or something of that nature...

Of course they will never be as comfortable as any pair of Senns.

Edit: Sorry for the Necro-post, my bad.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #95 of 140
The only times I've found Grados to cause discomfort is when I've tried to listen to music through them.
With all the shrillness and harshness, it is kind of like holding an electric nose hair cutter to your ears.
This was true with all the ones I've tried. SR60's, SR80's and SR125's. BTW, I did read the thread where it was claimed the reason so many people thought they were harsh was that people were playing the music at too loud a level. Bunk! That is one of the lamest claims in the vast world of audio snake-oil I've ever heard.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #96 of 140

Quote:
The only times I've found Grados to cause discomfort is when I've tried to listen to music through them.
With all the shrillness and harshness, it is kind of like holding an electric nose hair cutter to your ears.
This was true with all the ones I've tried. SR60's, SR80's and SR125's. BTW, I did read the thread where it was claimed the reason so many people thought they were harsh was that people were playing the music at too loud a level. Bunk! That is one of the lamest claims in the vast world of audio snake-oil I've ever heard.

YMMV...but please don't start stepping on peoples toes, especially with your 2nd post, this thread is about the physical comfort of the phones, not what you think they sound like

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #97 of 140
 I find my 225i's with bowls comfortable. Not quite as comfortable as AD 700s, but they are lightweight. I dont wear my bowls on top of my ear, though. The bowls fit all the way around my ear and I push them forward to semi-squish my outer ear. This does two things: a: allows the bowls to touch my ear, increasing bass presence and b: mellows the highs ever-so-slightly because the driver isnt directly over my ear canal.

Side note, I dont find grados high to be unbearable at all, at least after burn in. Though I tried running them from my cheap laptop soundcard and they sounded terrible. Thin and terrible. Like all other phones out there a good source is a must.

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #98 of 140
Most of the ones I've tried have been pretty uncomfortable as the driver screen touches my ears and rubs them raw. However, after some headband bending on my RS1s these sit very lightly on the head and ears and comfort isn't bad at all. Not great but not painful as before. Overall I'd have to give them a 3.5/5 in the comfort department.

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #99 of 140

Quote:
YMMV...but please don't start stepping on peoples toes, especially with your 2nd post, this thread is about the physical comfort of the phones, not what you think they sound like

So, it is OK for others to talk about the soundstage, bloated bass, or lack of bass, or describe the mids or highs, but not OK to say they are harsh and shrill, and that is what made them uncomfortable? OK. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #100 of 140

Quote:
So, it is OK for others to talk about the soundstage, bloated bass, or lack of bass, or describe the mids or highs, but not OK to say they are harsh and shrill, and that is what made them uncomfortable? OK. 

this thread involves how they feel physically...not how they sound

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #101 of 140
It's not the material but the shape of the bowls. Their ledge, lip or whatever it's called tends to nip my pinna. In fact after one session I swore it had left a mark (albeit temporary).

The comfies aent meant to sound as good and I haven't tried them but I'll bet they would solve the issue

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #102 of 140

Quote:
It's not the material but the shape of the bowls. Their ledge, lip or whatever it's called tends to nip my pinna. In fact after one session I swore it had left a mark (albeit temporary).

The comfies aent meant to sound as good and I haven't tried them but I'll bet they would solve the issue

when the comfies are quarter modded, I'd say the sound is pretty close to the bowls

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #103 of 140

Quote:
when the comfies are quarter modded, I'd say the sound is pretty close to the bowls

Mmmm, well....close, but no cigar.  I wish it was that simple.  I honestly don't know how anyone can have a nice set of Grados and only one set of pads.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #104 of 140

Quote:
Mmmm, well....close, but no cigar.  I wish it was that simple.  I honestly don't know how anyone can have a nice set of Grados and only one set of pads.

I keep three sets of pads for use with my grados, the stock comfies are lacking in sound quality, but after having a set quarter modded, they sound similar enough to the bowls to my ears

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #105 of 140

Quote:

I actually found grados to be quite pleasant when listening at my normal volume. It's all about the source.
Also, it could be that you're not used to the sound signature, because I have never found my sr 225 to be shrill after a couple of hours of use. 

Also, that speculation about how harshness and volume are correlated, is true. I thought that this was already obvious, it applies to all headphones; but with grados aggressive sound signature, the effect can be greater. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back