Are Grado's really that uncomfortable?
Sep 23, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #77 of 140
So I finally decided to fix the broken plug on my old SR60s and then tested them out for a couple of hours last night.I didn't find them uncomfortable at all. But then again, I've had these for maybe 6 years, and I may or may not have bent the headband a little when I got them.

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #78 of 140
Of all the common grado pads, flats are the only ones i havent tried. can you describe how the flat's sound compared to the bowls? Are they worth trying even when i have the bowls? if they are a sonic improvement than i'll consider buying some. from the majority of head-fiers, i've heard that flats are more comfortable. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #79 of 140
It's completely a matter of taste and it depends on which Grado you're using them with. Compared to bowls on the SR-225i, RS-1i, and HF-2, the flats produce a collapsed soundstage, overwhelming bass, and more forward mids. FWIW, you can experience a nice midpoint between the two by simply reversing the bowls.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #81 of 140
I've been using Grado SR-80is with bowl pads for months, the pads them selves only hurt when they squish my ears into my glasses, but they get damp from sweat, its disgusting.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #82 of 140
they are fine..

also there is a difference between pads and bowls..

i got the sennheiser pad upgrades for the Grados (yea you read that correctly)

that helped.. they are not that bad unless you are listening for like 3 hours at a time..

and that is continuous and rare... for that long without a break

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #84 of 140
No love for the G-Cushions?

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #85 of 140

Quote:
No love for the G-Cushions?

well, the general consensus from head-fiers, only good for their intended use (GS1000i, PS1000,GS1000) and also, for $45, I'm going to bet most people would pass even if their was a slight improvement in sound

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #86 of 140

Quote:
well, the general consensus from head-fiers, only good for their intended use (GS1000i, PS1000,GS1000) and also, for $45, I'm going to bet most people would pass even if their was a slight improvement in sound

Yes, they are rather expensive. If you have a owner of HF-2 though, you might want to consider buying some of them 'cause they change the sound so much it's like getting a completely different pair of headphones for &45 bucks.

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #87 of 140
You're probably right.  I found $45 bucks over and above the $299 325i to be a great upgrade with the sound quality getting a lot closer to the GS-1000.  I know because I A/B'd them at the dealer before my purchases.  Have you tried the G-Cush with any of the lower priced Grados?

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #88 of 140

Quote:
You're probably right.  I found $45 bucks over and above the $299 325i to be a great upgrade with the sound quality getting a lot closer to the GS-1000.  I know because I A/B'd them at the dealer before my purchases.  Have you tried the G-Cush with any of the lower priced Grados?

I think that's the thing, some people tried them with the prestige series and didn't find them to be too good, i don't know about the HF-2, but I think with those, you're getting very close the the GS-1000's

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #89 of 140
To me putting the salad bowl pad on any Grado should be consider a side-way move rather than an upgrade. It give you a different sound but you might not like it.
HF-2 seems to the one model in the Grado line that works well with both bowl and GS1000 pads. If you have one of the entry level Grados, $45 might be be too much to spend even if it does work.

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #90 of 140
In my case, if it sounds better, it's an upgrade.  You can find out if you like it better at the dealer.  Then you know.  I will try the G-Cush with the cheaper models, starting with the 60i to the 225i, very soon.  I'll let you know although you might not agree.  Have you tried the G-Cush with the cheaper Grados? I mean, you have some of them in your collection, have you actually tried them?  Sorry, it was unclear to me if you had or had not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back