Are Grado's really that uncomfortable?
Sep 21, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #46 of 140

Quote:

After you commented this, I re-evaluated the way i was wearing the grados. and you're right, its not the pad that sands my ears down, its from the rough grill. but theres no other way i can wear it, i cant wear it without the grill rubbing my ears off. i think the pads need to be deeper if theres any chance of the pads touching the back of my ears. but whatever, i feel like I've developed callous from these headphones, its never as painful as the first time. 

from what you're describing, i take you're using the bowls? if so, try the flats sometime, they're a lot more comfy

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #48 of 140

Quote:
the grado sound's totally worth the suffering imo.  wouldn't you agree?

they sound sig is unique and it takes a bit to get used to, but yes, I would agree

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #49 of 140

Quote:

Since I don't suffer from the pain, it makes it even more enjoyable!

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #50 of 140

Quote:
Since I don't suffer from the pain, it makes it even more enjoyable!

actually...with my woodied grado 225's arriving...I better get used to it..and quick, but honestly, they're quite comfy with the stock flats though I must admit i'm not much of a fan of the bowls

Quote:

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #51 of 140

Quote:
 After you commented this, I re-evaluated the way i was wearing the grados. and you're right, its not the pad that sands my ears down, its from the rough grill. but theres no other way i can wear it, i cant wear it without the grill rubbing my ears off. i think the pads need to be deeper if theres any chance of the pads touching the back of my ears. but whatever, i feel like I've developed callous from these headphones, its never as painful as the first time.

If the grille is touching your ears you're wearing them wrong (IMHO at least). They're supposed to be supra-aural. Try moving them considerably farther forward so that only the pads touch your ears (in fact they should touch just a little ahead of the back edges of your ears)- this will also smooth out the treble and widen the soundstage.

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #52 of 140

Quote:

Not at all. Regardless of how a headphone sounds, comfort is always first priority for me.

In terms of Grados, to me they are uncomfortable both physically and sonically.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #53 of 140
Hmm. I have to say that, with well broken-in bowls and the headband bent so there's just barely enough pressure to keep them on my ears, my SR80 is right up there among the most comfortable cans I've ever worn. I like to listen to music lying down, and their light weight makes them perfect for that.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #55 of 140

Quote:
my 20 year old plastic Sony cassette player headphones are more comfortable than Grado's sadistic earpad philosophy.

Headphones and philosophy are like oranges and apple(s).

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #56 of 140
I just got my 225i's yesterday, and I think the complaints about discomfort are exaggerated.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #58 of 140
They aren't uncomfortable, but they aren't comfortable either.  I compare them to seats in a movie theatre.  While you're watching the movie you really don't mind because you're watching something pretty epic (hopefully), but it isn't something you would want to sit on for the rest of your life.

IMO the wonderful sound they make outweighs any discomfort they may cause.

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #59 of 140
Well, I'm not saying that they are extremely comfortable or anything, but this board exaggerates how bad they actually are. There is some minor discomfort but nothing that makes you want to put the cans down. Also, like happyhar0ld said, their sound outweights the minor discomfort from wearing them.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #60 of 140

Quote:
^ I disagree, they are very light and comfortable in the headband area, but the earpads are nice and hard and put immense pressure on the tiny folds on your ear.   

I felt the same way until I finally decided to bend the headband so much that they just barely stay on my head. Not good for people who like to move around a lot while listening, I suppose, but it does eliminate the discomfort. (Also the bowls do soften a bit with use and also when washed.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back