Are Grado's really that uncomfortable?
Sep 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 140
I have really never understood the complaints. The headband is purposely made of non-spring steel that can be bent into any shape you want. Just make them loose enough that they only just stay on your head and you're good to go.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 140
Grados aren't uncomfortable.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 140
I personally think the cushies are more comfortable than the bowls, but I wear glasses, and I listen for hours at a time.

But bending the headband as Grado recommends helps.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 140
Yeah me either. I have Grados and some phones rated as some the most comfortable, and I honestly could wear either a long time. Grados are open so no ear sweating, so they beat some phones right off the bat for me.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 140
They feel like sandpaper on my ears. They have odd pressure points even with bending them. I'm not much of a fan of supra aural phones in general though. I much prefer circumaural.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 140
If you wear bowls (which I do), you are supposed to wear them "supra-aural way." This means that the pads have to touch the back of your ears, instead of wearing them pseudo-circumaural, which will have your ears touching the driver grilles. I return, this will make it much more comfortable and some of the harshness is removed, IMO. I can't say anything about comfies as I have never tried them, but I hear the are more comfy, but the bowls are perfectly fine for me, though I miss the smooth and soft feel of leather :frowning2:

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 140
I've never really had a problem with Grados, either. The bowls and flats are scratchy to begin with, but washing them with soap and water in the sink several times makes them comfy. Keep washing until water flows clear through them, squeeze out and let dry overnight.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 140

Quote:
They feel like sandpaper on my ears. They have odd pressure points even with bending them. I'm not much of a fan of supra aural phones in general though. I much prefer circumaural.

Agreed. Especially the Grado flats - they just feel really weird and rough on my ears, and Grados are a little loose and never feel totally secure on my head. Not my cup of tea at all.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 140
I actually like the clamping force. Nothing like headbanging in the middle of the song and knocking the cans off alignment (like on my K66) wreck the moment.

That said, the bare foam gets itchy when you sweat, so I avoid using it around noon, whether at home (when the A/C isn't running) or when I'm out. Then again temp and humidity is high where I live, so this is highly relative.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 140
There's an easy method to figure out whether you'll find Grados comfortable. Apply two round pieces of sandpaper to your outer ears, and rub continuously for three hours. 
dt880smile.png

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 140

Quote:
There's an easy method to figure out whether you'll find Grados comfortable. Apply two round pieces of sandpaper to your outer ears, and rub continuously for three hours. 
dt880smile.png

Not sure if I share your wisdom but I did have a very good belly laugh reading it. Thanks!
wink_face.gif

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #14 of 140
No need to rub, just tape it tight. Wasn't a problem for me when I bought mine, which was December last year, so needless to say I didn't notice it could be a problem until around April.

Quote:
dt880smile.png

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 140

Quote:
dt880smile.png

You must have chronically dry skin or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back