Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Mar 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #511 of 862
@daniel: I tested on s3, note 2, ipad 2 and ipad 3. Both the Samsung devices belong to my friend so I dont have much time to do A/B testing. I just want to confirm the Dac section works on these devices above. I am using the 4S btw. I waiting for the HTC One and if it supports usb dac, may be i will switch to HTC.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #512 of 862
I read the HTCs have bad OTG support but I do not know anything about this. Please let us know what happens. If I get the Samsung Galaxy S3 does that mean I have to use the USB Audio Recorder Pro app to listen to music via the DAC? Or can I use any application for android? Anyone tried the Samsung Galaxy Nexus?

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #513 of 862
The s3 doesn't need USB recorder pro for all DAC's I have 3 that work using neutron and power amp, some DAC are a bit buggy though, I believe the nexus 4 has DAC support as well, the best place to find out about DAC that work with android devices is the android phones and USB DAC thread. The older Samsung nexus being based on the s2 has problems with DAC support I believe.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #515 of 862
One thing to be aware of with using the Apex as a USB DAC with a mobile device is that it requires a micro USB connection, not mini. This is important because of the few smaller OTG cables I've seen thus far, almost all are mini-to-micro, not micro-to-micro, so you'ill need a mini-to-micro adapter for such a cable to work. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.

Hopefully this makes things clearer and not worse :s

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #517 of 862
I asked Frank from Toxic cables if he can make the OTG micro to micro cables for use with S3 ... he said he could and would do it with silver for 70 quid. 

Pretty tempting! 

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #520 of 862
Quote:
I have a HTC One (Android Jellybean 4.1), been using it with Glacier and the OTG cable (micro usb OTG adapted cable -> factory USB2.0 to micro USB cable -> Glacier), works fine.

You have the HTC One already (or One X)? I am waiting for that and still wondering if the HTC One supports USB DACs like Glacier or not. Thank you very much for the confirmation.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #521 of 862
Do you guys think it is worth upgrading to a Galaxy S3 if I just got the Apex Glacier for my iphone 4s and rockboxed ipod classic? Is the apex DAC much better than the 4s Dac? Would be nice to find a used s3 32 gb and add 64 gb for 96 gb of music. I already think the sound is pretty good from the 4s straight to the JH16s.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #523 of 862
It's HTC One X, not the new HTC One which is about to sell. Sorry for the confuse.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back