Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Jan 22, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #331 of 862
Just quick note that the Apex Glacier is working as a DAC/amp via USB audio on my HTC Butterfly, seems the number of Android manufacturers supporting USB audio is increasing...

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #332 of 862
Quote:
Just quick note that the Apex Glacier is working as a DAC/amp via USB audio on my HTC Butterfly, seems the number of Android manufacturers supporting USB audio is increasing...

If you dont mind, how do the hd 25's pair with the glacier? Is there any hiss? I've got the amperiors, and my glacier has just cleared customs after a week, so should have it soon, hopefully. Thanks

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #333 of 862
Quote:
If you dont mind, how do the hd 25's pair with the glacier? Is there any hiss? I've got the amperiors, and my glacier has just cleared customs after a week, so should have it soon, hopefully. Thanks

Sorry, my inventory has changed but for some reason it doesn't seem to propagate through to my signature - no longer have the HD25. They should be an excellent pairing with Glacier, should be no hiss.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #336 of 862
hey could we think about compiling a list of what DAPs/smart phones/tablets definitely work with glacier ..plus with what software tweak and/or lod? 

thanks! 

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #337 of 862
Hey esuhgb, I'm very curious to hear about your HD25 + Glacier.  I'll be standing by to read your thoughts on it. Thx!

Hopefully i should get my glacier tomorrow. Decided to call my local depot to pay my customs fees. Got tired of waiting for the letter to come through.

Sorry don't have the hd25 but do have the amperiors. Will leave impressions when i have spent some time with the glacier.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #339 of 862
Quote:

Hi NZtechfreak,  I tried but could not get my Glacier to work with the HTC Butterfly.    Must you activate USB debugging or must it be rooted?   Appreciate your advice.   Thanks.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #342 of 862
Quote:
oh even better as I have a pair of amperiors on the way!  

I'm curious to find out if the GLACIER + AMPERIOR would mean BRIGHT + BRIGHT = too bright

but man, that little Glacier is one sexy amp. And I like the way the input is in back and the output is in front.

im using the glacier with er4s. which are super up front. on good recordings, esp for classical this is amazing. yet i do hear clicks and clipping which Mastering engineers may have 
missed due to using speakers. but with good material the glacier+er4s is incredibly transparent and a great listen. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #343 of 862
Got my glacier yesterday, pretty pleased with it. Looks great, but seems to scracth quite easily. The light at the front is cool, but a bit too bright for my liking. The volume control is pretty neat too, and the gain is low enough for sensitive iems. There is little hiss with the ie80's, but the amperiors are fine :)

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #344 of 862
Sorry I haven't posted anything real yet, I haven't used the Glacier and RS1 as much as I thought I was going to be, been busy back in school, but over the last couple days, I've been putting in more time and all I can say is that whether its the DAC or the amp or the combo of them together, the RS1s just don't have the same life without the Glacier.

I cannot say which is providing the biggest gain because this is my very first DAC and amp. The RS1s do sound good unamped straight out of my iPhone 4, 2012 Macbook Air, and Sansa Fuze+ but definitely not as good as when plugged into the Glacier.

I will post later about the bass, treble, soundstage, and instrument separation I've noticed (all improved).

Overall resolution of songs: lots of lower quality music I have sounds horrible thanks to the Glacier's improved resolution and retrieval of details). I hear what the loudness problem of recordings even more now, the volume range available to listen comfortably with these tracks is tooooo small. Some music literally sounds compressed to me now. Like if you were squeezing it closer together with your hands. (Been hearing the bad mostly with <320 kbps) Good quality tracks sound great, details are more obvious. Computer/background noise more obvious when comparing to running unamped. 

I do hear hiss but only when changing songs. I think its the RFI thats getting through, because it occasionally comes up during the beginning of a song and always goes away after a few seconds. Rarely will hiss begin and be heard during mid/end-song playback. My iPhone is rarely farther than 2-3 feet away from the Glacier.

Same amount of hiss using both my Klipsch s4 IEMs and RS1s, at any volume.

Like posted before, Grado RS1s + Apex Glacier = not too bright at all. Smooth to me.

This thing is freaking rad. Awesome form and function. I'd definitely recommend it! I don't like using my RS1s without it now and because of its super thin and slim profile, I think I'm going to start bringing it to daily to school with me just to use with my Klipsch s4's.

--- this was my 200th post!

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #345 of 862
Quote:
Hi NZtechfreak,  I tried but could not get my Glacier to work with the HTC Butterfly.    Must you activate USB debugging or must it be rooted?   Appreciate your advice.   Thanks.

I've not Rooted the Butterfly, pure stock. Didn't do anything, just plugged it in via a USB OTG cable (it MUST be an OTG cable) and that's it. I had already set the Glacier NOT to charge off a USB audio input, and USB Debugging was on by default on my Butterfly.

Apart from possibly not using an OTG cable the only reason I can think of for it not to work on your Butterfly would be that your firmware is slightly older. There was a very recent firmware that added USB OTG support, mine shipped with it, but those being sold in Asia for the last several weeks may not have shipped on that firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back