Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Dec 5, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #181 of 862
Quote:
I was planning on saving up for a DX100 to pair with my 8A but it seems getting the Glacier and using it with my Note2 looks even more attractive now..

I am loving it more and more, as an android experience no comparison between the two.
Remind you that the DX100 is better at handling full size cans.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #184 of 862
Quote:
Looks like I'm leaning towards a Glacier now as I'll be primarily using IEMs on the go. Better portability, battery life and I'll be able to use the Note2 UI.

....winner!

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #185 of 862
im either leaning towards the apex or the ibasso d12 for my portable rig but the apex is certainly tempting. which would anyone here recommend between the two? i use 32 ohm headphones so dont really need an amp but i want a high end dac.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #187 of 862
So how is the Sound quality from the Note2 Specially in combination with the Glacier. I received some feedback from Friends that the  SQ on the Note2 was not very good and that they would stay with their ipods:)

I have not really a high opinion of my friends tast since they use Ipods but nonetheless am keen to hear if this combination works and how high do you rate this combination.

Note2 + Glacier = DX100 or is that pushing it. The Dx100 is rather good and expensive.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #188 of 862
Quote:
So how is the Sound quality from the Note2 Specially in combination with the Glacier. I received some feedback from Friends that the  SQ on the Note2 was not very good and that they would stay with their ipods:)

I have not really a high opinion of my friends tast since they use Ipods but nonetheless am keen to hear if this combination works and how high do you rate this combination.

Note2 + Glacier = DX100 or is that pushing it. The Dx100 is rather good and expensive.

The Note 2 SQ is fine. A friend and I did an afternoon of volume-matched blind A/B testing with a Note 2 and iPhone 4 and overall the Note 2 had a narrow advantage in our picks. That surprised both of us since we both entered the comparison with a heavy expectation the iPhone would be best, which just goes to show how important blind testing is.The output is considerably more quiet though, in a listening test that isn't volume matched everyone will pick the iPhone/iPod because their output is louder. The Note 2 has Android audio-engine hiss that users of very sensitive IEMs will pick up on, whereas the iPhone (and I presume by the same token the iPod) has a black background.

Through the Glacier via USB audio it'll sound the same as a PC using the same connection I presume, since all of us who have compared PC-connected output via USB with various USB DACs/amps to the same output via an S3/Note 2 have not heard a difference. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #190 of 862
Maybe a little off topic...I had just ordered the glacier and I received a call from TTVJ himself, because I had different billing and shipping addresses. He said they've lost many glaciers due to shipping to an address other than the billing address. It was a bit strange but I appreciate calling in to confirm.

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #191 of 862
Quote:
Maybe a little off topic...I had just ordered the glacier and I received a call from TTVJ himself, because I had different billing and shipping addresses. He said they've lost many glaciers due to shipping to an address other than the billing address. It was a bit strange but I appreciate calling in to confirm.

You mean Todd, he is such a great guy.
Hope you like it..

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #193 of 862
Quote:
You mean Todd, he is such a great guy.
Hope you like it..

Ya I meant Todd....I thought it will be cool to say "TTVJ himself"
cool.gif

Anyway, the glacier was shipped the same day  the I placed the order. Very impressive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back