Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Apr 27, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #781 of 862

Purely based on sound signature, I think X5 and Glacier might complement each other since Glacier is forward sounding meanwhile X5 is warm sounding.
Never heard the combination but might be worth thinking about.

I've tried the Glacier with the X5 and so did my dad. Neither of us were impressed by the combo. The Glacier and X5 have practically the same footprint though 
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #783 of 862
  I've tried the Glacier with the X5 and so did my dad. Neither of us were impressed by the combo. The Glacier and X5 have practically the same footprint though 
biggrin.gif

That's a good thing to notice, thought it would work out somehow....

I might try for the combo if I got the chance to test out the X5 again.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #786 of 862
  so the x5 have better SQ than Note3 +apex glacier right u guys

Better is a wrong way to describe it.

Its a matter of personal taste.

I still prefer the Note3+Apex Galcier to the X5 (borrowed), Why you ask?

Its better as a whole package taking into consideration the UI, SQ, Screen...etc

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #787 of 862
  so the x5 have better SQ than Note3 +apex glacier right u guys

In my review of the X5 I compared it to my GS3 (USB to) Glacier.
So it's a comparison of the X5 headphone out vs Glacier DAC section + amp sound.

The X5 comes pretty close, but comparing very critically and analitically (ie nitpicking) with JH13, I would say the Glacier sounds slightly better.  Glacier has more control of bass (the deep bottom bass of X5 is a bit boomy, you can hear with dubstep type tracks), and sweet mid to highs.  However I've been reading that the X5's latest firmware may have slight sonic improvements (it wasn't out when I had the review unit).  So it's a tough call now I would say.  It's probably more a matter of preference and synergy with your IEMs.  The general signature is similar though.

Also personally I prefer using the GS3 as a source because it supports M3U lists.  Still waiting for Fiio to work on that.

May 14, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #789 of 862
There's a 3.5mm jack for audio input to the amp section so it can be used as an amp by itself, and there is USB input so that the internal DAC can be used via the amp.

In short, yes the Glacier can be used as an amp by itself and it has a battery that is said to last 12 hours but I haven't tested that myself.

May 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #790 of 862
Been following this post for long and finally my own unit! It's working with my Sony Z1f, paired with my custom made to length usb cable.

It sounds infinitely better than my other combi (z1f phoneout, fiio x5 phoneout) . Now it's time for enjoyment, tks for all the info on this thread.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #793 of 862
Kinda finding my apex glacier / er4s pairing is wearing thin. Just need a lusher and more forgiving iem of harsh recordings. 

Any suggestions of good pairing with apex glacier? over ear cable, good soundstage and lush sound but without crazy rolled off highs my preference 

thanks! 

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #794 of 862
  Kinda finding my apex glacier / er4s pairing is wearing thin. Just need a lusher and more forgiving iem of harsh recordings. 

Any suggestions of good pairing with apex glacier? over ear cable, good soundstage and lush sound but without crazy rolled off highs my preference 

thanks! 

Ouch, the brutally neutral ER4S combined with the clear transparent Glacier does equal holding a microscope up to the music and revealing each and every flaw possible. An IEM that I'm really enjoying but which requires personal testing due to the rubber thing surrounding it is the ADL EH-008. It's warm and oh so natural and pleasant to listen to music with but it has the tradeoff of not being the most revealing IEM. I haven't compared it to IEMs in a similar price point but it stacked up favourably against much more expensive IEMs in my short auditioning session. Also, I'll have to mention that rubber thing again. Either it bothers you or it doesn't so I highly recommend trying it on first.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #795 of 862

thanks! 

Personally i love my noble 4 with the glacier however i would not say that the noble 4 is lush, as for forgiving i suppose its quite well balanced however tends to lean towards the less forgiving side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back