Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Nov 6, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #811 of 862
other alternatives I can think of are 

Cypher labs piccolo dac
Centrance mini m8
Alo international+

and other dac/amp's of similar form factor(probably not same class)
JDS Labs C5D
Headstage Arrow 5G

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #815 of 862
When I tested SE846 at e-earphone Tokyo, I didn't hear any particular hiss, but this is in the shop with a bit of background noise, I cannot guarantee no audible hiss in dead silent conditions.

Coming from JH13 the SE846 sounded bassy.  Very mid-bass centric, but this should be because of the factory black filter and olives.  Should be able to change a lot with filters and ear tips.

Even though I mentioned bassy, I actually found the sound quality very good overall.  Exciting and engaging.  The highs still were there and extended well enough, compared to the SE535 treble rolled off.  Clarity and sparkle is obviously not in a JH13 level, but again I think impressions can change a lot with filters and ear tips.

Just talking about SQ, the SE846 is among the best universals I've heard.  However personally what I don't like about current Shure IEMs is the MMCX connectors and factory cables with memory wire.  The chunky connector combined with tough memory wire, is too sturdy and creates too much force when you adjust the memory wire while having the IEMs fitted.  Anything or anybody accidently pulling the cable while fitted... I can only imagine pain.

That's why I strongly recommend getting aftermarket cables (light, soft cables without memory wire) to Shure owner friends.  Or even reshell or get custom molds.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #817 of 862
Well I got my glacier a few days ago from another member here on head fi - really enjoying it so far!

Working with all audio apps I've tried it with on android 5.0.1 on my nexus 5 too which is nice as I can still use poweramp which (imo) has a much better and smoother UI than other alternatives I've tried.

I can't believe the difference the apex made to my sony mdr 1rmk2's as well, improved them so much that I almost enjoy them as much as my b&w p7's which are usually my go-to portable headphones. Crazy!

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #818 of 862
Another new user here.  I am using mine with ATH IM-04.  I auditioned it against Pico slim, ALO Audio RX MK2, ALO international and Matrix Mini portable amp.  Here's my amateur review.  

The Matrix was the darkest amp but good bass impact and body and the sound was thick. Big soundstage and imaging was good with depth.   Unfortunately, playing with the equaliser settings was not solving the darkness issue.  On some songs, it sounded as if they were as a veil covering the higher frequencies.  Also output impedance was 13ohm whereas the IM-04 is 14ohms impedance.  Didn't have the sweet lushness I was looking for which made me fall in love with the LCD-2/v200 pairing (my desktop rig).

The ALO Audio mk2 was a step up.  Good bass impact, soundstage and imaging.  Got me toe-tapping right away.  Not dark like the Matrix but slightly on the warm side.  This was a used unit so I wasn't sure how much burn in it had, but it sounded good. But no USB charging and I didn't like the volume control and it didn't come with any warranty from the shop. 

Pico Slim.  A little more laid back/smooth presentation, slightly smaller soundstage and less bass impact than the rest.  Reminded me a lot of V200 that I own, transparent and the music just flows.  Good functionality with it being super small, long battery life, USB charging and super basic to use.  Definitely a winner. But only good for iems as it lacked power for the full cans. 

ALO international, I listened for about 10 sec.  I am sure it is a good amp, but not for me.  It felt too dark after listening to the Pico Slim.  So I gave up on it right away and put the Pico Slim back on. 

So, I decided to get the Pico Slim.  As I stood up to get my wallet out of my back pocket, my eyes fell upon a white box in a nearby glass cabinet with the lettering Apex Glacier written on it.  I enquired if it was a new unit which it was and then decided to plug it in.   First impressions were not favourable.  It felt a bit harsh (I was not expecting and use to the forwardness) but it had more bass impact and details than the Pico. Soundstage was slightly bigger too.  So, I plugged the Pico back in.  Smooth sound once again.  Listened to it for a while and then put the Glacier back on again. The Glacier was a little more detailed and the texture/tone of guitars and drums was just too good to be ignored.  

After doing a few more A-B comparisons.  I went away for dinner to think it over and then came back.  End of the day, I wanted the most natural sound with good bass impact and made me feel the music.  I thought the Glacier matched well the IM-04 (These iems are on the warm side and smooth to listen to with good details and mid bass hump which gives good impact.  Soundstage is pretty big for iems and the imaging is spot on with good depth). 

The Glacier's well implemented design, flexibility to use different phones and built in DAC sealed it. Definitely a match that comes close to the V200/LCD-2 combo.  The shop (Dontblameyourears.com) only had one Apex Glacier remaining and gave me the amp for $375 including a Fiio Silver cable.  I enjoy spending time in this shop and they really look after their customers btw.  

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #819 of 862
Would love to buy an Apex Glacier! TTVJ is sold out.

I received an ALO International+ today. It's the first amp/DAC I've tried. I'm using it with my iphone 6+. I haven't spent enough time with it yet to give any feedback. I have an IFI Micro coming tomorrow so I can compare them to each other.

I would love to try the Theorem 720. But I've hesistated ordering it because I've read about possible hissing

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #821 of 862
TTVJ is not only sold out of the Glacier they are no longer making them. Very unfortunate as I would love to purchase another Glacier. Maybe if there is enough demand Pete and Todd will bring back a limited quantity.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #822 of 862
Jbgoth, you know I love mine!!! Let's try to talk Todd and Pete into another run, it is a great amp!!!

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #824 of 862
Jbgoth, you know I love mine!!! Let's try to talk Todd and Pete into another run, it is a great amp!!!

Yes, he told me he wasn't planning on making any more units. And Kevin, you know how long it took me to,finally decide on an amp/DAC To buy. Now I'm trying to find a substitute.
I'm glad you're enjoyng yours!!!

I think the International+ is too warm for me. It lacks clarity & transparency. Again, this is the first amp/Dac I've tried. Hopefully I will like the iFi Micro.

How I want an Apex Glacier though........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back