Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #827 of 862
How do you other Glacier users reckon an AKG120II stacks up sonically against a phone with Apex glacier? 
Just for iem use. 

Big open Question I know. I am super happy with my setup but the damn RF interference is annoying me on the train. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #828 of 862
Feb 28, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #829 of 862
Muhahaha. I accidentally snapped off the micro USB jack for the in-built DAC. 
eek.gif

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #832 of 862
How do you other Glacier users reckon an AKG120II stacks up sonically against a phone with Apex glacier? 
Just for iem use. 

Big open Question I know. I am super happy with my setup but the damn RF interference is annoying me on the train. 

I'd also love to know how it compares to an ak100II or 120II.

Looking at a long term dap to get so I can store more than ~30gb of music with my current phone (no sd card slot) and I feel either of those could be an endgame portable set up for when I need more music with me. At least I'd hope so for the cost! :p

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #833 of 862
some people have told me the ak120 can't power full size headphones. As an iem user mostly these days it's kinda irrelevant for me though 

Been hanging out with the hardcore Sony fans talking about the pha 3 and z5 iems balanced. Lots of fandom there. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #834 of 862
  some people have told me the ak120 can't power full size headphones. As an iem user mostly these days it's kinda irrelevant for me though 

Been hanging out with the hardcore Sony fans talking about the pha 3 and z5 iems balanced. Lots of fandom there. 

Hmmmm, I'd assume it would be fine for portable headphones with ~40 ohm impedance or something though... I use portable headphones while out and about and leave my bigger ones at home anyways so that shouldn't be an issue for me either.

I'll have to look into it... I'm quite interested in the new sony walkman too though. I think it's called the ZX2 or something. I heard it in japan and although it wasn't with any of my music so it was hard to compare with the glacier + my phone it did sound very nice.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #835 of 862
yeah im def on the hunt to move to a DAP but I have a feeling I may wait another year or so as i think prices will come down alot more. 
Gona keep my eye on the Geek dap. 

For now though I blooming hate the radio interference I get on the train with my glacier. Might need to wrap it in a static bag or something. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #836 of 862
Kinda interesting, I don't get much rf interference at all with my glacier. I do generally put my phone into airplane mode when I'm moving to and from uni though, just to save on batteries as I'll likely be listening to music. When I leave my data and wifi on I get it from time to time but it's still not too bad.

I think I'm gonna get a fiio X3II to tide me over till something new comes out or prices drop a bit on the sony or AK players. Hopefully it will sound good enough without me needing to use my glacier with it.

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #837 of 862
anybody experiment with the gain/volume settings to try and get a line level signal from the headphone out of the glacier?

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #838 of 862
anybody experiment with the gain/volume settings to try and get a line level signal from the headphone out of the glacier?

Since the glacier uses a digital volume control it seems that the left right balance and distortion are pretty comparable on all volume levels on the lowest gain setting at least. If I'm using another amp + the DAC in the glacier I just have it on +0dB gain and the volume doesn't really matter from my testing but I generally have it as light blue on the light indicator so I can be sure the amp I'm using can reach loud enough levels without having to be put on high gain or anything with my pair of hd250 linear II's which are 300ohms resistance. Still double amping but it sounds perfectly fine to me!

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #839 of 862
^This but it he opposite, my Glacier sound fantastic feed by my iFi iDSD Nano to rca>1/8 to line in on my Glacier. But I cann get my Glacier to work directly from my Mac to its micro USB input. Am I doing something wrong?!?

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #840 of 862
^This but it he opposite, my Glacier sound fantastic feed by my iFi iDSD Nano to rca>1/8 to line in on my Glacier. But I cann get my Glacier to work directly from my Mac to its micro USB input. Am I doing something wrong?!?

It's definitely connected to the 'DAC' micro usb port and not the 'charge' micro usb port on the back? Also make sure you're using a usb 2.0 port and not a usb 3.0 port.

If it's not that then I have no idea, it just might not be Mac compatible... Do you have a windows pc you could test it on? I just plugged the glacier into my pc and it automatically downloaded the drivers and worked perfectly... :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back