Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Mar 28, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #842 of 862
That's a fantastic price, you should be able to sell it off quickly. I'd certainly spring for it if I didn't already have one. Good luck with the sale anyways, I'm sure whoever gets it will enjoy it!

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #843 of 862
^ Spoke to Todd at TTVJ he thinks my USB connection is loose, so he recommended I send it to Pete for repair. Incredibly good customer service!

May 4, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #847 of 862
Just picked up a Grado PS1000, the Glacier was made for these cans, never thought portable could sound this good!

May 11, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #848 of 862
Received a Glacier today and I must be doing something wrong. I can charge it from my MacBook Pro through both the "charge" and "dac" ports, but my MacBook doesn't recognize it as an external DAC to send audio through the USB port. I hooked up an RSA Predator and my MacBook recognized it immediately. I tried turning the Glacier off before plugging into USB, then turning it on while plugged in. I have also tried it in both DAC modes (charging and not charging).

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

May 15, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #850 of 862
Received a Glacier today and I must be doing something wrong. I can charge it from my MacBook Pro through both the "charge" and "dac" ports, but my MacBook doesn't recognize it as an external DAC to send audio through the USB port. I hooked up an RSA Predator and my MacBook recognized it immediately. I tried turning the Glacier off before plugging into USB, then turning it on while plugged in. I have also tried it in both DAC modes (charging and not charging).

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Try to push the reset button. If not working, talk to Todd from TTVJ to get the better advice.

May 20, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #853 of 862
May 21, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #854 of 862
Is Ray still well regarded? His amps got alot of attention 8 yrs or so ago and were liked alot on 6moons etc 

But I never hear about his stuff in headfi tv eps or from event coverage. Is he flying under the radar? 

I also think unfortunately portable dac amps may further decline in popularity as the rise of hi-res DAPs continues. 
Also full size HPs are getting more and more efficient so it is likely in the next years (with Vinnie Rossi driving the charge) 
DAPs will have powerful enough amp sections to not always require an external amp unless you want a specific synergy or colouration. 

Personally I am upgrading to a PONO in June. Balanced into my z5 iems is rated as a good experience. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #855 of 862
Selling my Glacier guys. Will think about fair offers too but don't take the piss though please :) 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/772864/apex-glacier-portable-dac-amp-great-condition-esp-battery-still-6hrs-play-per-charge

Dan 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back