Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Jan 13, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #721 of 862
Imo it equals the WM8740 in the DX50 so it should also be better than the iPhone dac. I've never actually tried that combo out though. Either way I think you probably need to use the Glacier DAC or get an iDevice DAC like the CLAS because I'm pretty sure Lightning can't output an analog audio signal.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #723 of 862
Have anyone here ever had problem with sensitive iem?

I have a good glacier deal, but my sony ex1000 is really sensitive(may be one of the most sensitive iems), and I'd like not to hear any noise or hiss :|

Also don't want to use any impedance adaptor, it's a pain to use it with portable combo

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #724 of 862
With the Glacier used daily I don't hear hiss or noise with my JH13 normally... and they're super freaking sensitive IEMs.

At times the Glacier can be prone to ticking noise or static, like if you have a mobile transmitting signal very close to it.  I have the GS3 stuck with the Glacier, but I don't use it as a phone and it's always set on airplane mode, and this helps to keep noise to zero (unless I go close to a person talking with another mobile).

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #725 of 862
So if I use it with a dap with clean lineout, no mobile signal, it shouldn't be a problem? Is the noise really zero? Because I usually listen at low vol, just a slight noise can be annoying.

btw, for a transportable setup, which one is better, ipod+glacier or dx100? Just in sound quality. From what I read, they have similar sound sign, so not sure which one is better. I already have an ipod classic, but can't choose between 290$ glacier and 400$ dx100. Both are pretty good deals. 

btw2, I like your avatar, nice mami and miu nenroids :D

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #726 of 862
I use my glacier with my ie80's and fa4e and do get a bit of hiss. But its in audible when the music starts playing. I don't detect any hiss when I use my pfe's 122 or d2k's. I feel its a wonderful amp and the fact It has a dac is a bonus.

As for which is better the ipod+glacier or dx100, I cant help there, but from what I have noticed with sensitive easy to drive headphones adding an amp to my ipod touch doesn't make a big enough difference to warrant me taking my amp when I am out and about. If you need a usb dac + amp I'd suggest getting the glacier.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #728 of 862
In my case it is little bit different. I'd like the SQ of S4+glacier more than ipod+glacier.

In both cases :-
1) are you using the DAC of the Glacier? Or the DAC of the phone and only the amp of the player is in common?
2) are the music track format the same?
3) what kind of digital LODs are you using (i.e. standard OTG cables or "audiophile"-type cables with fancy compositions?)

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #729 of 862
  So if I use it with a dap with clean lineout, no mobile signal, it shouldn't be a problem? Is the noise really zero? Because I usually listen at low vol, just a slight noise can be annoying.

btw, for a transportable setup, which one is better, ipod+glacier or dx100? Just in sound quality. From what I read, they have similar sound sign, so not sure which one is better. I already have an ipod classic, but can't choose between 290$ glacier and 400$ dx100. Both are pretty good deals. 

btw2, I like your avatar, nice mami and miu nenroids :D

Ok sorry I probably overstated it as zero noise, you may or may not hear very slight hiss depending on the source, iems and conditions, you can only find out by actually trying.  I said "zero" since atleast for my setup hiss is not audible..

I've never heard of the DX100 so I cannot comment exactly which is better..  However just talking about the Glacier, personally I find using the USB DAC section of the Glacier has better tonal balance, than just using line input (connected from a diymod iPod Video 5G line out).  It seems like, the musical, smooth amp section of the Glacier is tuned to be used with the Cirrus Logic DAC section, that adds details and precision.

Oh yes nendoroids are cool..
smile.gif
  I've had this hype about them in the past few years, although the collection is getting a bit too much for my room, and recently I'm taking a rest gathering more haha..

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #730 of 862
In both cases :-
1) are you using the DAC of the Glacier? Or the DAC of the phone and only the amp of the player is in common?

2) are the music track format the same?

3) what kind of digital LODs are you using (i.e. standard OTG cables or "audiophile"-type cables with fancy compositions?)

1) I use the glacier DAC (connected between S4 phone's micro usb B and micro usb B of the glacier-cable horizon). Ipod to glacier via LOD to 3.5 (mini)
2) Music format: ipod with 253 kbps (itunes from CD) whereas S4 with 128 kbps mp3 format.
3) Toxic cables Viper (it is a diy type bought from here not original TC)

I used ipod 6 not the RWA mod 5.5 I own.

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #732 of 862
Need some help:

Just got my Apex Glacier and it won't charge through my computer's USB port :frowning2:. I had this problem recently with my TTVJ Slim amp/dac and thought the slim had died out on me.  It appears that it may not be the case. I have four usb ports here and I can charge my iPhone on all four ports without problem. In addition, my bluetooth dongle works in every usb port.  My Glacier will power on temporarily since its not fully charged but will turn off.  Can anyone help :frowning2:?

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #733 of 862
Need some help:

Just got my Apex Glacier and it won't charge through my computer's USB port :frowning2:. I had this problem recently with my TTVJ Slim amp/dac and thought the slim had died out on me.  It appears that it may not be the case. I have four usb ports here and I can charge my iPhone on all four ports without problem. In addition, my bluetooth dongle works in every usb port.  My Glacier will power on temporarily since its not fully charged but will turn off.  Can anyone help :frowning2:?

It may have the charge function turned off for the data port. Press both the gain and reset switches simultaneously - that will switch it back on, if that's the problem.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #734 of 862
It may have the charge function turned off for the data port. Press both the gain and reset switches simultaneously - that will switch it back on, if that's the problem.

Unfortunately, it won't charge through either the charging or data port through usb on my computer.  I just found a spare wall charger unit and plugged the usb into that and i have it charging via an outlet. so it works in that respect. Thanks for your help though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back