Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet?
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #61 of 325
My wallets going to hate me.....
mad.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #62 of 325
It was fantastic with all of BT's work. Morceau Subrosa is quickly becoming my favorite work of his (I've been practically A/Bing TBU and Morceau to decide on an all time favorite album). Seriously...at 8 minutes into that work (movement 2) it will blow your mind with the 009s. I had a fellow Head-fier come listen when I had the 009 + LL on loan and he said that with the HD800s you could position the birds perfectly but with the 009 you could tell exactly what bird they were. :D

Quote:
Wow come to think of it, I may have to try the SR-009 with either a KGSS or BHSE sometime soon, since I listen to rather similar music to MorbidToaster (BT? 
biggrin.gif
) and since his impressions with the 009 was rather positive, I really am itching to try it myself.

Mine doesn't know what's coming yet. It just seems a huge number in my account right now and is super happy. But once it all lines up...BAM...it's screwed.

Quote:
My wallets going to hate me.....
mad.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #63 of 325
Quote:
It was fantastic with all of BT's work. Morceau Subrosa is quickly becoming my favorite work of his (I've been practically A/Bing TBU and Morceau to decide on an all time favorite album). Seriously...at 8 minutes into that work (movement 2) it will blow your mind with the 009s. I had a fellow Head-fier come listen when I had the 009 + LL on loan and he said that with the HD800s you could position the birds perfectly but with the 009 you could tell exactly what bird they were. :D

Oh goshh....... stop tempting me!!
eek.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #64 of 325
Quote:
[quote name="MorbidToaster" url="/t/622743/anyone-found-their-headphone-nirvana-yet/45#post_8628266"euphoric distortion
Freud might have something to say about that particular typo.
cool.gif
[/quote]

Great things often happen by accident. From now on when I explain why tubes are superior to solid state to a die hard measurements fan I simply say I like the euphoric distortion.
Maybe it will be easier for them to comprehend.
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #70 of 325
Currently my Nirvana lies at the ODAC + O2 + HD800
Nothing has matched up so far.
Bryston amp was too harsh/treble happy for the HD800 (which are already pretty bright)
EF6 was too soft/dull for the hd800 (hard to believe >.<)

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #71 of 325
Quote:
Currently my Nirvana lies at the ODAC + O2 + HD800
Nothing has matched up so far.
Bryston amp was too harsh/treble happy for the HD800 (which are already pretty bright)
EF6 was too soft/dull for the hd800 (hard to believe >.<)

And then you listen to the HD800 from a really good tube amp and figure out what you have been missing all along...
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #73 of 325
Quote:
I tried it with the WA22 at SSI this past march and I did really enjoy it. Whether I like it any more I don't think I can say that.

What you get with a good tube amp is that amazing holographic soundstage and imaging plus a richer tone that complements the slightly sterile sound of a HD800 perfect. That sense of being there and feeling air move. No solid state amp I've tried have had that holographic property. I have not tried WA22 though. Heard its a great match with the T1. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #74 of 325
What you get with a good tube amp is that amazing holographic soundstage and imaging plus a richer tone that complements the slightly sterile sound of a HD800 perfect. That sense of being there and feeling air move. No solid state amp I've tried have had that holographic property. I have not tried WA22 though. Heard its a great match with the T1. 

Sometimes I like my sterile sound though (sometimes) where I can just sit back and hear everything put forward.
Though of course, sometimes I wish I had a tube amp sitting next to my SS amp to switch between the 2 as I felt like it.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #75 of 325
Quote:

No solid state amp I've tried have had that holographic property.

I would have completely agreed with this comment, until recently. I'm a tube head through and through and wouldn't give up my SE 300B monoblocks in my main system for anything. However, my AMB Labs Beta 22 in my headphone rig has given me all the fantastic attributes of tube gear in spades with the added ability to drive the most difficult headphones with ease. I would have never believed that any SS amp could sound anything like this. Granted, this is allot more about synergy, the Beta seems to match very well with the magnetic planars, and your mileage may vary with something like the HD800.

Headphone nirvana, no way. That would mean we are at the end of the road, it's more about the journey than just a final destination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back