Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Dec 15, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #4,216 of 6,061

Which past couple of amps would those be? Can you rank them if possible in order? 

Thanks!

I hooked it to that preamp since I am still in the phase of searching a good preamp and this is just for the transition. I have several preamps on my list now and it should be interesting to compare them. I agree that a good preamp can affect the sound quality, as I can see from when using the pass labs xa30.8 with the control freak knob and when using int30a. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #4,217 of 6,061
  A low quality pre amp will defeat the whole purpose of getting quality sound. IMHO The quality of pre-amp is as important as the quality of the amp. Gold point makes good passive pre amps or you can buy used.

http://www.goldpt.com/prices.html

Also Audio GD NFB 1 & C2 should be good based on my experience with M1 & M9.

I have the Master 11 with the +6db gain option.. so +22db gain. It's beyond enough to power the HE-6 with blistering db levels. I'm around 75-80 steps out of 100. and it's a super exponential volume curve. In other words, i'm only using 15-20% of the power of the master 11 to push the HE-6 to extreme levels. from 80-90 steps it sounds like  a quick way to go deaf all while keep distortion levels very very very low. :) something to be heard and appreciated.  

power specs are 
S/N Ratio
>120DB 

Gain

+16DB  (XLR)

Volume characteristic

100 steps Super Exponential Volume Characteristic 

Channels cross

> 130DB

Channels imbalance

< 0.05DB
Frequency Breadth
20Hz - 20KHz  (< - 0.1DB)
1Hz - 140KHz    ( - 3DB ) 

Output Level
 Headphone output : 19V RMS  (balance , max)

Preamp Variable output : 10V RMS (balance,  max)

DAC Variable output : 5 V RMS (balance,  max)

ACSS: 1.2MA+1.2MA

Headphone amp output power ability
(Only for >15 ohm headphone.)
Balanced mode

16000MW /  25 ohm 

8000MW /  50 ohm 

4000MW  /  100 ohm

1300MW / 300 ohm

650 MW / 600 ohm

Output impedance

1 ohm /  Headphone output

1 ohm / DAC output

some of the other amps listed in this thread don't really look too great on paper, as far as distortion etc.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4,218 of 6,061
With Master-1 as my preamp, I'm using steps 10-15 of 100 on exponential mode.

Quantity of power does not mean everything here though.

This section from Magnepans site says a lot: http://www.magnepan.com/faq#receivers

If you guys think you know what dynamic sounds like, you haven't heard it until you've heard it with a high end speaker amp. Probably only the Master-10 or Master-3 are able to do that from their line.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #4,219 of 6,061
I have the same setup and yield same results. now I'm not too familiar with entire field of dac and amps but you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal. And I'm not about to plug headphones into a power amp. similar spec dacs/amp don't bring the type of value per dollar. which cables are you using? the left earcup stock cable went out after sad 2 months of usage. initially thought the tips were coming loose again because of static. Rip cable. Have to use 560 cable in the mean time

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #4,220 of 6,061
I have the same setup and yield same results. now I'm not too familiar with entire field of dac and amps but you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal. And I'm not about to plug headphones into a power amp. similar spec dacs/amp don't bring the type of value per dollar. which cables are you using? the left earcup stock cable went out after sad 2 months of usage. initially thought the tips were coming loose again because of static. Rip cable. Have to use 560 cable in the mean time

I have a few vintage receivers (80-110wpc), and they drive the HE-6 very well with somewhat similar results (of course some are better than others I have, but the differences arent THAT huge). I've tried the HE-6 with  many headamps, and these vintage receivers are better. All of them were acquired for a couple of hundred dollars each.The only amp that I've tried the HE-6 which sounded better was a fully upgraded/recapped WA5 costing $11k. @punit has the Master 9 and he also prefers his vintage receiver to the M9. It's very difficult to justify 30x-50x more price for a good power+pre or a WA5 with marginal difference in sound. I'm still not sure if any speaker/headamp under $2-$2.5k sounds much better than powerful vintage receivers.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #4,221 of 6,061
With Master-1 as my preamp, I'm using steps 10-15 of 100 on exponential mode.

Quantity of power does not mean everything here though.

This section from Magnepans site says a lot: http://www.magnepan.com/faq#receivers

If you guys think you know what dynamic sounds like, you haven't heard it until you've heard it with a high end speaker amp. Probably only the Master-10 or Master-3 are able to do that from their line.

surprised you would say the M10 and M3 would be the "only" amps that would be ideal from Audio-GD. those are only speaker amps and the SN ratio is higher, and crosstalk not as good as the master 11. The m11 with gain stages has better specifications to drive the HE-6 at volumes with minimal distortion. The M10 and M3 seem to be an absolute beast but raw power is not required to drive the HE-6 unlike full sized Maggies. I would agree the M10 and M3 would be the only ones for full size maggies. But a fairly small maggie, or the HE6 rather, is easy to drive in comparison. And I would think you would want the absolutely lowest distortion specs possible. The HE-6 is basically the best amp for the HE-6 according to kingwa. But he also recommends the +6db or +9db gain mods for it. I opted for +6db and believe its so much more than I would ever need to drive those HE-6's. 
the stock M11 is +16db
the +6db is +22db
and +9 is +25db
the headphone voltage output is 19v and PLENTY for the HE-6. 
The M11 is capable to turn the HE-6 up to 11 in quality of sound, not just volume.  :wink: j/k

The M11 stays pure class A all the way up to 9000mw!!!  and 16000mw in class A/B. The HE-6 doesn't need this much power, and certainly not the power from the M10 or M3 @ 250-1000watt?? and you're saying quanitity of power does not mean everything here though? I am not sure how to understand that. The M10 and M3 are amazing full size transducer amps, but not the best for a headamp. They are certainly capable, but what about these units would make you say they are more capable and better spec'd for the HE6 than the M11?
it's simply not about how much power, but how clean the power is.  I've found that powering the M11 with my A/C Regen, (ps300 with multiwave)(upgrade outlets, SR Teslaplex and Gaofei Red copper rhodium plated) either the PSaudio 8gauge lab cable with upgraded sonarquest red copper and silver plated connectors - also this cable was sent out to be cryo'd. I'm on the fence that this modified lab cable is better than my other SR Tesla T1 cable...which is almost too bright and analytical for my ears.  

anyhow.  I don't own HE-6's but have heard them on a lot of amps. I'm just wondering if i'm missing something. What is it about the M10 and M3 that you believe would be better than the M11? I've been known to be wrong many times over, but since i havent actually heard the M10 or M3 with the HE-6, i simply can't comment. How much time have you spent with the M10 and M3 and HE-6? 

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #4,222 of 6,061
Isent it the voltage that makes speaker amps so good for HE-6?
I remember reading some comparisons with FirstWatt amplifiers where they concluded that it must be the voltage which made some work better then the other. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #4,223 of 6,061
HiFiMan HE-6 – Rated 83.5 dB SPL at 1 mW at 50 ohms. They need 447 mW to reach 110 dB which is 4.7 V RMS and 133 mA of current. Despite their higher impedance they’re even more power and current hungry than the HE-4/5. There’s good reason here for tube amps, and plenty of other amps, to run and hide.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #4,224 of 6,061
Trying to explain everything through numbers isn't as effective as you would think regarding the HE-6. I've heard amps that shouldn't have enough power sound fantastic. And I've heard amps that have plenty of power sound soft and undynamic. Ultimately, the preference is a subjective one.

Regarding the AGD M9/M11, it won't give you the most dynamic presentation of the HE-6, but it does a good job of being smooth an non-fatiguing. Certainly you can crank it and rock out, but the smooth treble and pretty mids will be the stars of the show. Personally, I prefer a more impactful presentation, but the M9/11 definitely has it's place in the line-up. I feel like it's probably a stronger choice for people who prefer genres like jazz, classical, folk, country, acoustic rock or bluegrass. Or, for people who like the HE-6's sound, but find it a bit fatiguing.
For people who like rock, metal or electronic, you may want to grab something that offers a little more bass and more powerful dynamics.
YMMV, obviously. Production variances on the HE-6 are extremely wide, so your experience may not match my own. I'm just telling you what I have heard.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #4,225 of 6,061
Trying to explain everything through numbers isn't as effective as you would think regarding the HE-6. I've heard amps that shouldn't have enough power sound fantastic. And I've heard amps that have plenty of power sound soft and undynamic. Ultimately, the preference is a subjective one.

Regarding the AGD M9/M11, it won't give you the most dynamic presentation of the HE-6, but it does a good job of being smooth an non-fatiguing. Certainly you can crank it and rock out, but the smooth treble and pretty mids will be the stars of the show. Personally, I prefer a more impactful presentation, but the M9/11 definitely has it's place in the line-up. I feel like it's probably a stronger choice for people who prefer genres like jazz, classical, folk, country, acoustic rock or bluegrass. Or, for people who like the HE-6's sound, but find it a bit fatiguing.
For people who like rock, metal or electronic, you may want to grab something that offers a little more bass and more powerful dynamics.
YMMV, obviously. Production variances on the HE-6 are extremely wide, so your experience may not match my own. I'm just telling you what I have heard.

Hmm, the master 9 is similar to the M11 but i've felt it still sounds a bit different. bass slam is less and almost a bit thinner sound in comparison to the M11. But built up off the same design overall. If you check in the m11 thread you'll see many that have had the M7/m9 combo and say similar things about how the M11 differs a bit. 

but everything is subjective as you say. The m11 imho does everything very well. yet when i've listened to the m7/m9 I just thought it was "good" and not quite the full presentation the M11 brought to the table.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #4,226 of 6,061
Interesting, if I had to guess, I would bet that it has to do with the connection of the two components and/or possibly a heftier internal PSU to power both components. Just a guess though... That is certainly interesting. I hadn't heard that.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #4,227 of 6,061
It's good to see that after almost 6 years, this wonderful headphone is still being discovered and received as favorably as it was when it was released. The initial reviews were not glowing mainly because of the amps being used. The majority who have been entertained by this marvel would recommend a quality speaker amp. The mods will make those minor criticisms less noticeable and with a quality, balanced setup, deliver world class entertainment for a lot less than the vast majority of headphones and speakers would cost.

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #4,228 of 6,061
It's good to see that after almost 6 years, this wonderful headphone is still being discovered and received as favorably as it was when it was released. The initial reviews were not glowing mainly because of the amps being used. The majority who have been entertained by this marvel would recommend a quality speaker amp. The mods will make those minor criticisms less noticeable and with a quality, balanced setup, deliver world class entertainment for a lot less than the vast majority of headphones and speakers would cost.

Yep, I think they're probably more popular now than ever. I started lavishing praise on them in the headphones for metal thread (the OP there had also singled them out for high praise with the genre), a few others brought them and loved them and it kinda reached a critical mass there and ownership has grown considerably. Number of owners here in NZ has grown too thanks to finally having some meets and people actually hearing them.

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #4,229 of 6,061
Yep, I think they're probably more popular now than ever. I started lavishing praise on them in the headphones for metal thread (the OP there had also singled them out for high praise with the genre), a few others brought them and loved them and it kinda reached a critical mass there and ownership has grown considerably. Number of owners here in NZ has grown too thanks to finally having some meets and people actually hearing them.

HiFiMan HE-6 – Rated 83.5 dB SPL at 1 mW at 50 ohms. They need 447 mW to reach 110 dB which is 4.7 V RMS and 133 mA of current. Despite their higher impedance they’re even more power and current hungry than the HE-4/5. There’s good reason here for tube amps, and plenty of other amps, to run and hide.

Ugh so let me ask you guys this, you think the NFB10ES2 Balanced out will do the HE 6 Justice

also I keep hearing a Modded HE 6 is the way to go, what mods are these an what pads are you guys finding to work best, I'm kind in the mood for an upgrade to my HE 4, an the NFB10ES2 does a nice job driving it! I've never run out of Head room 

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #4,230 of 6,061
I have not heard the unit to comment. You can read some of my posts that I recommend a top shelf speaker amp. This is Hi End Audio. As long as you can control the volume, the headphone will only draw the needed power to the load. If you aren't listening at unsafe levels, you can get serious performance.

Balanced has been my preferred method.

The mods are the grill and felt mods. The grill removal opens the soundstage and the felt attenuates some of the high frequency energy reflection. Further mods are pads and mounting tricks. See HE-6 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back