Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Feb 8, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #3,781 of 6,061
  Thanks for all the advice everyone it is much appreciated. 

Before I make any major decisions though --- I'm running HE-6 off Mjolnir right now. My first impressions are... too bright for my taste. It also feels rather fatiguing. Would this change with a better amp and/or burn in time?

I've got balanced cables on the way for the LCD-2 so maybe the Mjo/LCD-2 combo will give me what I'm looking for after all.

I have the Mj, it is not an optimum pairing with HE 6. The Mj + Audeze is a much better combo IMO. If you plan to keep HE 6 look for a better suited amp.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #3,782 of 6,061
Would a better suited amp make it less bright? 

Right now I'm also eagerly waiting for a LCD-2 balanced cable on the way from Audeze. If the Mjolnir (over the Lyr) gives can give it a bit more punch/bite I might be satisfied with that. That's my main issue with the LCD-2 atm. I like the overall tone, but heavy distorted guitar sounds a bit too "politened".

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #3,784 of 6,061
"For the HE 6, a better suited amp will produce one of the best treble that you have heard from any HP." pretty much what all he-6 users are reporting when adequately driving their HE-6s 
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,785 of 6,061

Right now I'm also eagerly waiting for a LCD-2 balanced cable on the way from Audeze. If the Mjolnir (over the Lyr) gives can give it a bit more punch/bite I might be satisfied with that. That's my main issue with the LCD-2 atm. I like the overall tone, but heavy distorted guitar sounds a bit too "politened".

If you like the overall tone of the lcd-2 then the he-6 might sound a bit bright to you even on the right amp.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #3,786 of 6,061

Are the LCD-2s Fazor?  The LCD-X or LCD-3F might give you the bite you're looking for.

If you like the overall tone of the lcd-2 then the he-6 might sound a bit bright to you even on the right amp.

^^^ This ^^^  The Audeze sound may be what you're looking for.  

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,787 of 6,061
Are the LCD-2s Fazor?  The LCD-X or LCD-3F might give you the bite you're looking for.

^^^ This ^^^  The Audeze sound may be what you're looking for.  

Context from the other thread - noxnoctum is listening to a lot of black metal. The LCD 2 colouration is probably quite welcome given that. Apart from bright, they also described the 6 and tinny and thin from the Mjolnir, so it's clear that even the Audeze sound turns out to be what they're really after, they've not yet heard the 6 at anything approaching their best.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #3,788 of 6,061
Yes what he said ^^^. In other news I just heard back from Schitt that since I bought the Mjolnir through Amazon, the 30 day return policy applies rather than Schiit's 15 day, which gives me considerably more time. I'm just gonna wait till the balanced cable comes, try the LCD-2 with the Mjolnir, and go from there. 

Sorry I know this is HE-6 thread - I'm just investigating both of these headphones as I've seen them recommended for metal. (not the only thing I listen to, but for whatever reason I'm the pickiest with it)

And I actually have both the fazor and non-fazor version of the LCD-2. I just got "permission" from the people I ordered the fazored version from (I bought non-fazor used) to burn it in so I'm going to do that as well and compare.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #3,789 of 6,061
  Yes what he said ^^^. In other news I just heard back from Schitt that since I bought the Mjolnir through Amazon, the 30 day return policy applies rather than Schiit's 15 day, which gives me considerably more time. I'm just gonna wait till the balanced cable comes, try the LCD-2 with the Mjolnir, and go from there. 

Sorry I know this is HE-6 thread - I'm just investigating both of these headphones as I've seen them recommended for metal. (not the only thing I listen to, but for whatever reason I'm the pickiest with it)

And I actually have both the fazor and non-fazor version of the LCD-2. I just got "permission" from the people I ordered the fazored version from (I bought non-fazor used) to burn it in so I'm going to do that as well and compare.

So why not just get the Rag in the first place?

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3,790 of 6,061
Well I didn't see it mentioned as pairing well with the LCD-2 as much as the Mjolnir which is why I got Mjolnir first to try. Also according to Schiit it would be 2-3 weeks min. before they would ship one out.

That'll probably be my next step if I'm still not satisfied.

I do kinda feel like I am 90% there though with current set up. Just need a little more bite!

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3,791 of 6,061
That's just it.  To my ears, no Audeze headphone ever had bite.  Not the way the HE-6 has, I mean the kind of bite that suppose to be there when that particular instrument calls for it and not being offensive.  Even these LCD-3Fs that I have.  When it comes to the correct bite, the HE-6 has it.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #3,792 of 6,061
  That's just it.  To my ears, no Audeze headphone ever had bite.  Not the way the HE-6 has, I mean the kind of bite that suppose to be there when that particular instrument calls for it and not being offensive.  Even these LCD-3Fs that I have.  When it comes to the correct bite, the HE-6 has it.

Never heard LCD3 in a long session, so I shouldn't really bother with LCD3F ? I will wait for HE1000, if HE1000 overpriced then I will just get LCD4 (if is planned).

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #3,794 of 6,061
Hold up.  I like the LCD-3Fs now.  We was talking about bite and comparing them to the HE-6.  The LCD-3Fs are a great headphone in it's own right.

From the time I spent with the LCD 3F (not heard the earlier ones) it's definitely a great headphone, I think the 6 is the more transparent (revealing bite when there should be etc) but once you get into this sort of level of performance I think it becomes more about preference in sound presentation. If I was interested in maintaining a stable of TOTL headphones, I expect the LCD 3 would figure amongst them.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #3,795 of 6,061

It has the correct grunt, growl, moan, purr and snarl, too.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back