Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #6,706 of 9,207

I have the NFB11, 15.32, and 10.32. I think at $500 the 10.32 is one of the best deals in audio today.

10.32 is now the reference 10.32 at like $1000+. I think your referring to the now named 10.33.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #6,707 of 9,207
Both outputs are the same. The amp is single ended. Just a 4 pin xlr out for convenience.

Oh I see, that is one powerful SE amp. My god! I'm impressed...(currently checking wallet lol). If only SA31 was balanced
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #6,709 of 9,207
I also have the Decware Taboo mk3, which falls into your tube amp requirements. I LOVE it....I haven't actually heard the LCD-2 from it, only the LCD-3 but I can't imagine it being a bad pairing, it was designed with the LCD in mind. It is very transparent and has very nice treble extension that works well with the LCD. Also very responsive to tube rolling to fine tune the signature. IMO, for the LCD It is a step up from the SA-31 but better be for the much greater price. Check into that amp maybe?  
You mentioned you wanted to "also" get a single ended amp? You know the SA-31 is single ended, right? The XLR jack is just for flexibility of plugging balanced cables in. Both XLR and 1/4 jacks output the identical signal. 

Thanks thegrobe - will check out the Decware.   Although, my budget caps out at around the WA6-SE (which is already pushing the limits a little, TBH).     I am not really one to sit around and obsess over sound instead of the music (I'd rather listen to Furtwangler in a 50's mono recording than that boring Reference Recordings tripe), so I think $1000 or so puts me in the right zone.   Especially $1000 for a Chinese-made amp.

Also, by single-ended, I am referring to the circuitry - single-stage, zero-feedback - not the connectors.

That is a good choice if you like a warm sound. Which I believe you do  
biggrin.gif

Hehe, heya V-man.  

the WA6-SE for sure (with 6FD7 tubes).the sophia 274b should be enough tubey for LCD-2 if thats the sound you're looking for. the 6FD7 is probably the best and most balanced sounding tube for the WA6-SE. (the 6GL7 has more power, but is also darker and slightly V shaped in response, thats why i don't recommend it unless you pair with 596 rectifier, and even then, i think im gonna recommend 6FD7 from now on, also its cheaper to get).

I have to admit, I have read a couple of off-the-cuff remarks about Woo Audio being more about looks and style than great circuits.    Now, a single-ended triode amp is a fairly simple design (my DIY amp from the 90s cost me <$500 in parts and provided pretty much end-game audio quality for me), so I am not sure if this is really something to worry about or not.

Btw, side note - anyone know where to get an inexpensive balanced cable for the LCD-2 (thick gauge wire, robust construction is all I care about - I dont buy the "cables affect sound" argument)?

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #6,710 of 9,207

10.32 is now the reference 10.32 at like $1000+. I think your referring to the now named 10.33.

I don't think the upgrade to 32-bit DAC was really all that necessary in the 15-series but I'll take it if they're serving it lol. Damn AGD upgrades their stuff almost monthly..

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #6,711 of 9,207

I don't think the upgrade to 32-bit DAC was really all that necessary in the 15-series but I'll take it if they're serving it lol. Damn AGD upgrades their stuff almost monthly..

I barely have anything in 24/96, most in 16/44, so I agree with you. What kind of music is even encoded at 32bit 384k?

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #6,712 of 9,207

Thanks thegrobe - will check out the Decware.   Although, my budget caps out at around the WA6-SE (which is already pushing the limits a little, TBH).     I am not really one to sit around and obsess over sound instead of the music (I'd rather listen to Furtwangler in a 50's mono recording than that boring Reference Recordings tripe), so I think $1000 or so puts me in the right zone.   Especially $1000 for a Chinese-made amp.

Also, by single-ended, I am referring to the circuitry - single-stage, zero-feedback - not the connectors.

Hehe, heya V-man.  

I have to admit, I have read a couple of off-the-cuff remarks about Woo Audio being more about looks and style than great circuits.    Now, a single-ended triode amp is a fairly simple design (my DIY amp from the 90s cost me <$500 in parts and provided pretty much end-game audio quality for me), so I am not sure if this is really something to worry about or not.

Btw, side note - anyone know where to get an inexpensive balanced cable for the LCD-2 (thick gauge wire, robust construction is all I care about - I dont buy the "cables affect sound" argument)?

I really like Charleston Cable Company's LCD-2 cables, but they are not the cheapest. If you want like $100 or less, then look for a cable built by a DIY'er with larger gauge wire like maybe Canare or Mogami wire?  If you budget is $150+ then go for the Charleston Cable Company's cable. The stock Audeze balanced cable is a joke.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #6,713 of 9,207

Lol, right, of course. I've just seen several folks confusing the SA-31 as balanced, probably due to the xlr jack in front and the abundance of balanced audio-gd gear available. Was the first thing popped into my head.

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #6,714 of 9,207
Hey guys,
I'm going to buy a set up at home for my LCD2 and narrow down to Audio GD NFB 10.33 or NFB 28. A volume pot is a must and i will not choose 10ES2.
Anyone here has experience with those Dac/Amp? Can you tell me ES or Wolfson is better with LCD2? I also have AKG K701.
Thank you much!

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #6,717 of 9,207
Hey guys,
I'm going to buy a set up at home for my LCD2 and narrow down to Audio GD NFB 10.33 or NFB 28. A volume pot is a must and i will not choose 10ES2.
Anyone here has experience with those Dac/Amp? Can you tell me ES or Wolfson is better with LCD2? I also have AKG K701.
Thank you much!

Do you want a neutral or warm sound? That's the differences. Both amps are balanced.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #6,719 of 9,207
Just to clarify, NFB 10.33 is warm (WM8741) and NFB 28 is neutral (ES9018)

Is that correct?

Your correct :wink_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back