Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #6,676 of 9,207
  Panam, Schiit lyr or Icon Audio HP8?

The Lyr is not too bad but avoid those amp's for the LCD's.

None of the 3

+1

V200, Mjolnir or Soloist :)... although I've had my eye on the Icon Audio HP8 for ages. Not sure I'd buy it exclusively for LCD-2 though.

+1. Definitely prefer the Mjolnir out of the 3. Soloist is not bad but some like it more so with the LCD's, I find them a bit bland sounding. V200 is a good all-rounder for lot's of headphones.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #6,677 of 9,207
  I still look at Remy Martin's as display or gift alchy. 

I'm Vietnamese so it's only like bragging rights alcohol for when you have guests over. 

Vodka is the staple drink, usually Chopin, Stoli, or Russian Standard for me.

Second comes scotch, scotchy scotch scotch, but usually in a 12 year, I like full flavor. I also enjoy a good blanco tequila.

Thats just liquor. I'm a HUGE beer nerd. I homebrew, trade, and go to tastings all the time.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #6,679 of 9,207
  Why is the Lyr not recommended for the LCD-2's? I was under the impression they were decent for most planars.

I recommend it for the LCD-2s. But definitely not the LCD-3s. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #6,680 of 9,207
Why is the Lyr not recommended for the LCD-2's? I was under the impression they were decent for most planars.

I don't think the Lyr is bad with the LCD2s, but it's not a great pairing. The LCD2 has a lush dark signature that gets a bit muddied by the Lyr's tube harmonics. The LCD2 is best with a very clean neutral to forward amp. The LCD2 is very capable of reproducing the natural timbre and harmonics of recorded music and the Lyr's added harmonics may degrade that fidelity somewhat--lessening detail and collapsing the soundstage. If you A/B the LCD2 between the Lyr and the Mjolnir or GS-X mkII, it's a clear difference.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #6,681 of 9,207
I don't think the Lyr is bad with the LCD2s, but it's not a great pairing. The LCD2 has a lush dark signature that gets a bit muddied by the Lyr's tube harmonics. The LCD2 is best with a very clean neutral to forward amp. The LCD2 is very capable of reproducing the natural timbre and harmonics of recorded music and the Lyr's added harmonics may degrade that fidelity somewhat--lessening detail and collapsing the soundstage. If you A/B the LCD2 between the Lyr and the Mjolnir or GS-X mkII, it's a clear difference.

I agree completely, Kingwa recommended NFB-10ES2 (I was comparing 10.33, 10ES2 etc), due to the speed, microdetails, and he said it was a great choice for LCD-2, since its neutral. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #6,682 of 9,207

I'm Vietnamese so it's only like bragging rights alcohol for when you have guests over. 

Yeah same for my family I guess as well. 

I like beer 
beerchug.gif

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #6,683 of 9,207
Can anyone comment on which one is the better pairing for the LCD-2 between Woo WA6-SE and Little Dot MKVI+? Does it depend on the tube, or is there a clear winner? Is there another tube amp under $1.5K that is recommended?

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #6,684 of 9,207
Can anyone comment on which one is the better pairing for the LCD-2 between Woo WA6-SE and Little Dot MKVI+? Does it depend on the tube, or is there a clear winner? Is there another tube amp under $1.5K that is recommended?
Ive never liked tube amps for the LCD2

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #6,685 of 9,207

Bottlehead SEX outputs 2 watts per channel, on paper that is good. Trust your ears though. Tube amps normally don't mix well with LCD-2, but hey you might like the sound. WA6SE outputs a lot of power as well. Look into Bottlehead Mainline as well. Violectric V200 is good as well, very warm if that's your preference. I personally have grown to like a neutral amp with my LCD-2 rev 1.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #6,686 of 9,207

Bottlehead SEX outputs 2 watts per channel, on paper that is good. 

LDMKVI+ outputs 5 watts per channel, on paper that is better.

Quote:
 Trust your ears though. Tube amps normally don't mix well with LCD-2, but hey you might like the sound. 

I do! Seems like every amp that I've tried with the LCD-2 that has made me say "wow" has been a tube or hybrid amp. Maybe I'm just addicted to that sound.

Look into Bottlehead Mainline as well. Violectric V200 is good as well, very warm if that's your preference. I personally have grown to like a neutral amp with my LCD-2 rev 1.

Hadn't thought of the Bottlehead Mainline. Intriguing.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #6,687 of 9,207

I do! Seems like every amp that I've tried with the LCD-2 that has made me say "wow" has been a tube or hybrid amp. Maybe I'm just addicted to that sound.

Glad you are interested, Bottlehead designs great amplifiers. Woo Audio is popular on here as well. Pick what you think sounds best.
After all at the end of the day it's your wallet taking the hit not mine  
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Thomas

PS: Bottlehead is DIY....just letting you know. If you aren't a DIY guy, then get a builder to do it. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #6,688 of 9,207

Pick what you think sounds best.
After all at the end of the day it's your wallet taking the hit not mine  
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I know, I know, and truthfully I've heard both the WA6-SE and the LDMKVI+ on seperate occasions and liked both. Just never had a chance to compare them. Hoping that someone here has. Ultimately I've gotta be the judge for myself tho :)

Trying to nurse my wallet back to health, but I do love to beat and punish it.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #6,689 of 9,207

I'm going to be unbiased and un-LD fanboy as possible. I haven't heard the Mainline or build a SEX but have heard it, the LD VI+ is one of those tube amp's just does everything right, yeah there are a few issues that I'd nitpick out of it mainly concerned with the cooling and enclosure size, it really punches above it's weight. It is a chameleon of an amp, whatever tubes you roll is what sound you're going to get.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #6,690 of 9,207

the LCD-2 worked very very well with the WA6-SE, especially with 6GL7/6FD7 and 596 tubes.

the LCD-3 as well, but seem to be able to scale higher, the LCD-2 paired better with WA6-SE imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back