Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 12, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #6,692 of 9,207
WA22 is the next tube amp i wanna get, might be my endgame

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #6,694 of 9,207
The biggest problem I have with tube amps is the tube rolling.  Usually in order to get the sound you want you need to roll the tubes and a lot of the time you will end up paying the same if not more for the tubes than the amp is worth.  To me it just seems contradictory because you can just get a better amp right?  I don't know it was just kind of an idea that I have been having.  Yes I  know I have a tube amp but I do not spend obcene amounts of money on rolling it and also it only has 2 tubes vs say like 8.  Where you would need matched quads.  Also just a final thought but to the people that spend thousands of dollars on tubes...what happens when they burn out.  Do you spend thousands yet again trying to find those tubes?

I don't know with solid state the sound is chosen for you which is a down side but if it sounds good why change it?

again this is just an idea that I want to throw out there not trying to say tubes are bad...I own a tube amp.  Also not trying to offend anyone.  

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #6,695 of 9,207
WA22 is far from end game. Since you're a strong Woo follower, I'd get the WA5.

maybe though i'm kinda turned away from it since the 300B are very expensive tubes, and i would have to get doubles of all my rectifiers, whereas with the WA22 i can use my 596 rectifiers as well as my other 5U4G/274B/5AR4s and i can use 6AS7G/5998 power tubes.

only thing i would prefer is if the WA22 also had the 6922 tubes, then it'd be the perfect amp 
biggrin.gif

im excited to hear how my GSX compares to my woos as well, since i'm already pretty happy with their performance. especially the WA2, which could very well be my endgame if i only had the beyerdynamic T1.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #6,697 of 9,207
Subscribing to this thread. 

I've just ordered a AudioGD amp for my LCD2s, and am also looking for a single-ended amp to go with the LCD2 (fully aware of their warm nature).

The WA6 or 6SEs are two options i am looking it.    Anything else in that price range?  I dont want OTL - looking for SET, transformer-coupled amp with that glorious tubey sound.   

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #6,698 of 9,207

I've just ordered a AudioGD amp for my LCD2s, and am also looking for a single-ended amp to go with the LCD2 (fully aware of their warm nature).

The WA6 or 6SEs are two options i am looking it.    Anything else in that price range?  I dont want OTL - looking for SET, transformer-coupled amp with that glorious tubey sound.   

Thanks!

Which audio-gd amp did you order? I'm curious to hear impressions of the new precision 1.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #6,699 of 9,207
The SA-31SE.   It shipped out today, so should arrive by end of next week - but sadly, i am out of town for 2 weeks, so will only be able to try it out when back.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #6,700 of 9,207
  The SA-31SE.   It shipped out today, so should arrive by end of next week - but sadly, i am out of town for 2 weeks, so will only be able to try it out when back.

Ah, the SA-31 is a good amp. I enjoyed it with the LCD-2's. Mine is up for sale but I keep waffling, pulling the ad, re-posting it. LOL. Kind of don't want to see it go. I used it on low gain and it was great with the LCD-2. Plenty of juice and a nice soundstage and smooth presentation. I liked either no jumpers or "setting 1" for the warmth with the LCD-2. 

I also have the Decware Taboo mk3, which falls into your tube amp requirements. I LOVE it....I haven't actually heard the LCD-2 from it, only the LCD-3 but I can't imagine it being a bad pairing, it was designed with the LCD in mind. It is very transparent and has very nice treble extension that works well with the LCD. Also very responsive to tube rolling to fine tune the signature. IMO, for the LCD It is a step up from the SA-31 but better be for the much greater price. Check into that amp maybe?

You mentioned you wanted to "also" get a single ended amp? You know the SA-31 is single ended, right? The XLR jack is just for flexibility of plugging balanced cables in. Both XLR and 1/4 jacks output the identical signal. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #6,701 of 9,207

Ah, the SA-31 is a good amp. I enjoyed it with the LCD-2's. Mine is up for sale but I keep waffling, pulling the ad, re-posting it. LOL. Kind of don't want to see it go. I used it on low gain and it was great with the LCD-2. Plenty of juice and a nice soundstage and smooth presentation. I liked either no jumpers or "setting 1" for the warmth with the LCD-2. 

I also have the Decware Taboo mk3, which falls into your tube amp requirements. I LOVE it....I haven't actually heard the LCD-2 from it, only the LCD-3 but I can't imagine it being a bad pairing, it was designed with the LCD in mind. It is very transparent and has very nice treble extension that works well with the LCD. Also very responsive to tube rolling to fine tune the signature. IMO, for the LCD It is a step up from the SA-31 but better be for the much greater price. Check into that amp maybe?

You mentioned you wanted to "also" get a single ended amp? You know the SA-31 is single ended, right? The XLR jack is just for flexibility of plugging balanced cables in. Both XLR and 1/4 jacks output the identical signal. 

On the SA-31SE are the outputs watts the same? I know on 10ES2 its like 4x the output if your run balanced. IMO its better as 1.6 watts in 50ohm is below Audeze's recommended output. While 5.9watts in 50ohm on 10ES2 in balanced mode in within Audeze's recommended specs.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #6,702 of 9,207

That is a good choice if you like a warm sound. Which I believe you do  
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #6,703 of 9,207

Thanks!

i do not recommend the regular version of the WA6, barely enough power/dynamics for HD 800, LCD-2 will be even worse.

the WA6-SE for sure (with 6FD7 tubes).the sophia 274b should be enough tubey for LCD-2 if thats the sound you're looking for. the 6FD7 is probably the best and most balanced sounding tube for the WA6-SE. (the 6GL7 has more power, but is also darker and slightly V shaped in response, thats why i don't recommend it unless you pair with 596 rectifier, and even then, i think im gonna recommend 6FD7 from now on, also its cheaper to get).

if you want SS, definitely the soloist 
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #6,704 of 9,207
On the SA-31SE are the outputs watts the same? I know on 10ES2 its like 4x the output if your run balanced. IMO its better as 1.6 watts in 50ohm is below Audeze's recommended output. While 5.9watts in 50ohm on 10ES2 in balanced mode in within Audeze's recommended specs.

Both outputs are the same. The amp is single ended. Just a 4 pin xlr out for convenience.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #6,705 of 9,207

Thanks!

I have the NFB11, 15.32, and 10.32. I think at $500 the 10.32 is one of the best deals in audio today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back