Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #6,541 of 9,207
So I thought I would just write a little something about what I think about properly amping the LCD2 and 3.

So when I first auditioned these headphones they sounded fantastic.  So organic and smooth with that base to die for but after I bought my own pair and hooked them up to my amp (a speaker amp)  I kept trying to figure out why everything sounded a bit off.  Just a couple days ago I finally finished building my Bottlehead SEX with C4S and Impedence Switch upgrade and plugged in my headphones and all I could do is gape in awe of how good everything sounded.  Lesson learned: PROPERLY AMP YOUR HEADPHONES.  When Audeze says they need at least 1W at 50ohms they mean it.  My SEX puts out 2W and finally the LCD2's can sing like they where meant to.  

On another note to anyone who needs a recommendation for an amp and is willing to build one, the Bottlehead SEX is the best amp I have heard with these headphones to date.  Minus the EC Ballancing Act but that is effectively 6 time the price.  

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #6,542 of 9,207
So I thought I would just write a little something about what I think about properly amping the LCD2 and 3.

So when I first auditioned these headphones they sounded fantastic.  So organic and smooth with that base to die for but after I bought my own pair and hooked them up to my amp (a speaker amp)  I kept trying to figure out why everything sounded a bit off.  Just a couple days ago I finally finished building my Bottlehead SEX with C4S and Impedence Switch upgrade and plugged in my headphones and all I could do is gape in awe of how good everything sounded.  Lesson learned: PROPERLY AMP YOUR HEADPHONES.  When Audeze says they need at least 1W at 50ohms they mean it.  My SEX puts out 2W and finally the LCD2's can sing like they where meant to.  

On another note to anyone who needs a recommendation for an amp and is willing to build one, the Bottlehead SEX is the best amp I have heard with these headphones to date.  Minus the EC Ballancing Act but that is effectively 6 time the price.  

I was getting 5v@50ohms :). Do you prefer a tube amp for the LCD? I much more preferred a solid state, while many prefer a tube

Btw, how are you liking the headband? .

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #6,543 of 9,207
Quote:
I was getting 5v@50ohms
smily_headphones1.gif
. Do you prefer a tube amp for the LCD? I much more preferred a solid state, while many prefer a tube

You know I could say I like tube or SS but honestly some SS sound like tube and some tube sound like SS so I am not sure.  Overall though I prefer the tube sound.  But what I can say is that I have heard them through the SEX, Soloist, Gungir, Lyr and EC Ballancing Act and the best was the EC but at a reasonable price the SEX is my favorite so far.  I think DIY stuff is highly underrated because people don't have the time or patience to build them so I would really like to hear them off of the new Bottlehead Mainline and also the Beta22.  

Honestly the foam is more comfortable but the leather looks better and still works just fine for me.  No discomfort so far.  

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #6,544 of 9,207
I was getting 5v@50ohms :) . Do you prefer a tube amp for the LCD? I much more preferred a solid state, while many prefer a tube

You know I could say I like tube or SS but honestly some SS sound like tube and some tube sound like SS so I am not sure.  Overall though I prefer the tube sound.  But what I can say is that I have heard them through the SEX, Soloist, Gungir, Lyr and EC Ballancing Act and the best was the EC but at a reasonable price the SEX is my favorite so far.  I think DIY stuff is highly underrated because people don't have the time or patience to build them so I would really like to hear them off of the new Bottlehead Mainline and also the Beta22.  

Honestly the foam is more comfortable but the leather looks better and still works just fine for me.  No discomfort so far.  

Indeed, my mjolnir has some tube characteristics while having transparency of solid states. It's all a matter of preference and synergy really.
The gungnir is not an amp btw. I don't if you were referring it as a amp given that you've listed only amps.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #6,545 of 9,207
Quote:
Indeed, my mjolnir has some tube characteristics while having transparency of solid states. It's all a matter of preference and synergy really.
The gungnir is not an amp btw. I don't if you were referring it as a amp given that you've listed only amps.

Ya sorry I mean Mjolnir.  Ya it is a fantastic sounding amp but I think the DIY stuff which is a lot cheaper competes with it or surpasses it.  On the down side though you have to spend many many hours building it yourself.  

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #6,546 of 9,207

Ya sorry I mean Mjolnir.  Ya it is a fantastic sounding amp but I think the DIY stuff which is a lot cheaper competes with it or surpasses it.  On the down side though you have to spend many many hours building it yourself.  
Lol

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #6,547 of 9,207
Has anyone tried the balanced 901 with the LCD2s balanced or single ended? Does the balanced 901 do a reasonable job of driving the LCD2s? How does the 901 compare to some of these desktop setups?

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #6,548 of 9,207
Hey everyone! Sorry if this has been asked before but just wondering... Can i use lcd 2 rev 2 with audioquest dragonfly>matrix m-stage or just straight out of either one or is it not a good match? Which one is the better/do you recommend something else? I have a budget of about 300$ for a new amp if thats necessary... Thanks! :)

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #6,549 of 9,207
Quote:
Hey everyone! Sorry if this has been asked before but just wondering... Can i use lcd 2 rev 2 with audioquest dragonfly>matrix m-stage or just straight out of either one or is it not a good match? Which one is the better/do you recommend something else? I have a budget of about 300$ for a new amp if thats necessary... Thanks! :)

You'll need more powah to get the best out of them. Best bet is to look used for something at that budget (or any budget really) or DIY!

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #6,550 of 9,207
Quote:
Has anyone tried the balanced 901 with the LCD2s balanced or single ended? Does the balanced 901 do a reasonable job of driving the LCD2s? How does the 901 compare to some of these desktop setups?

The 901 can drive them but not adequately. Subjective on the volume though, but the LCD2/3's need a notch up or two more than regular headphones to sound better.

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #6,551 of 9,207
I'm thinking about swapping my Conductor for something more exciting. 
 I listen to alot of electronica, EDM, Alternative rock/experiemental rock (like Radiohead) 

Whats ur guys suggestion?

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #6,553 of 9,207
Beta22 vs others around $1000 for my LCD-2 Rev 1. I would make a new thread, but perhaps many of you will assist :D. If it helps I have a M^3 right now, and while I like it, I want a more fun amp. In the past I used the Burson HA-160D, and I didn't really like it. So perhaps that helps :) Oh and my DAC right now is the Bifrost Uber. I listen to rock, and a little bit of jazz :)

Thanks,

Thomas

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #6,554 of 9,207
Quote:
Beta22 vs others around $1000 for my LCD-2 Rev 1. I would make a new thread, but perhaps many of you will assist
biggrin.gif
. If it helps I have a M^3 right now, and while I like it, I want a more fun amp. In the past I used the Burson HA-160D, and I didn't really like it. So perhaps that helps
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh and my DAC right now is the Bifrost Uber.

Thanks,

Thomas

Bottlehead SEX :D.  Sounds amazing with my LCD2.2's.  Man I need to mod mine. New Pot and Caps incoming.  

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #6,555 of 9,207
Bottlehead SEX :D.  Sounds amazing with my LCD2.2's.  Man I need to mod mine. New Pot and Caps incoming.  

Ok, well that's interesting, as I'd need to find a builder, just like with the Beta22. Well there are so many used Beta22 on the FS forum, it is simple. Perhaps a experienced DIY'er could build a S.E.X? First thing though is more suggestions, like what do others think? Usually on head-fi everyone disagrees with each other lol :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back