Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #6,526 of 9,207
Quote:

Audio-gd do not do 'bright' gear.

My amp is most certainly on the brighter side of neutral.  You can tell with a headphone in either extreme.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #6,527 of 9,207
I've always had my suspicions that it's a style over substance amp.

Your suspicions is bang on the money. Aesthetics and quality over actual circuit implementation and sound. And that's where most of the money are poured into on the Woo stuff.

My wallet would like to personally thank you for your input. I can now look past the woo stuff.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #6,528 of 9,207
I currently own the Vmoda M100 and will be using those on the Go and using my Ferrari T350 on the plane for noise cancelling. My next major investment is going after the LCD2 which I am doing in stages. The headphone amplifier i would like to purchase next. 

I was wondering thoughts on the HIFIM8 portable amplifier.

image.tiff

I was looking at using this as I will be using an Ipod or Iphone 5, or my computer direct through USB. I will be using the regular headphone jack for my M100 and planning on using the balanced XLR cables for the LCD2.

So is this the right amplifier if I am looking at LCD2? Also is balanced worth it?

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #6,529 of 9,207
Quote:
So is this the right amplifier if I am looking at LCD2? Also is balanced worth it?

In my experience, very much so.  More power, more control, and a more refined sound.

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #6,530 of 9,207
I currently own the Vmoda M100 and will be using those on the Go and using my Ferrari T350 on the plane for noise cancelling. My next major investment is going after the LCD2 which I am doing in stages. The headphone amplifier i would like to purchase next. 

I was wondering thoughts on the HIFIM8 portable amplifier.

I was looking at using this as I will be using an Ipod or Iphone 5, or my computer direct through USB. I will be using the regular headphone jack for my M100 and planning on using the balanced XLR cables for the LCD2.

I'm sure the portable amp can drive it at decent levels but there's a big difference between portable amps and desktop amps. Personally I've never felt that portable amps do the LCD2 justice. You have to consider other things in the chain as well, and if we're talking about portable stuff then your dac isn't going to be quite ideal for headphones like the LCD2.

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #6,536 of 9,207
Would a metrum octave or a jkdac32  be a good match for lcd2.2 and a soloist amp. Or is the v200 a better choose. 

The metrum octave is a great dac. Between the soloist and v200, I prefer the v200.

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #6,537 of 9,207
Quote:
I'm sure the portable amp can drive it at decent levels but there's a big difference between portable amps and desktop amps. Personally I've never felt that portable amps do the LCD2 justice. You have to consider other things in the chain as well, and if we're talking about portable stuff then your dac isn't going to be quite ideal for headphones like the LCD2.

So what do you mean by that. What is the big difference between a DAC desktop and a DAC portable. The Hifim8 is a class A portable headphone amplifier. Please explain. I dont want to put my eggs all in one basket if is not right.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #6,539 of 9,207
Thx for your reply DarKen23.   I think I will be going with the v200.

Headphonejunky - I've thought about the mjolnir but decided to go SE. All my other cans are SE as are my DACs. Also I can buy the soloist and v200 locally.

Cheers

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #6,540 of 9,207
The metrum octave is a great dac. Between the soloist and v200, I prefer the v200.

Finally a headphone amplifier that lists damping factor. Lists it at a 50 ohm load with 800 damping factor. Thats awesome as far as amps are concerned. But why no XLR connectors?

There is a balanced version. Though slightly different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back