Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #6,556 of 9,207
Bottlehead SEX :D.  Sounds amazing with my LCD2.2's.  Man I need to mod mine. New Pot and Caps incoming.  

Ok, well that's interesting, as I'd need to find a builder, just like with the Beta22. Well there are so many used Beta22 on the FS forum, it is simple. Perhaps a experienced DIY'er could build a S.E.X? First thing though is more suggestions, like what do others think? Usually on head-fi everyone disagrees with each other lol :D

Don't do the LCD with tubes man.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #6,557 of 9,207
Quote:
Ok, well that's interesting, as I'd need to find a builder, just like with the Beta22. Well there are so many used Beta22 on the FS forum, it is simple. Perhaps a experienced DIY'er could build a S.E.X? First thing though is more suggestions, like what do others think? Usually on head-fi everyone disagrees with each other lol
biggrin.gif

I bet you could find a builder.  But ya many people do have different opinions.

Quote:

I mean yes the SEX does that that "tube" sound but even than it does a very good job of controlling the LCD2's.  The base is well controlled and I don't have any problems with the highs either.  The one thing I will say about it is the mids could use a tad bit of work but I have heard the LCD's through a lot of different amps and so far the only one that I have found to trump it is the EC Ballancing Act.  I know you have the Schiit stack and while I respect it I still like mine better.  
tongue_smile.gif
  Also a lot of people go for the vioelectric V200 and that sounds more tube-y than a lot of tube amps so honestly its a matter of preference.  

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #6,558 of 9,207

I mean yes the SEX does that that "tube" sound but even than it does a very good job of controlling the LCD2's.  The base is well controlled and I don't have any problems with the highs either.  The one thing I will say about it is the mids could use a tad bit of work but I have heard the LCD's through a lot of different amps and so far the only one that I have found to trump it is the EC Ballancing Act.  I know you have the Schiit stack and while I respect it I still like mine better.  
tongue_smile.gif

Also a lot of people go for the vioelectric V200 and that sounds more tube-y than a lot of tube amps so honestly its a matter of preference.  

What does the Beta22 sound like? Is it transparent like the M^3 w/ sigma or different? I am so curious! Oh and about the casework, I'd probably be useless when it comes to that sort of thing. Shoot I don't even know how to opamp roll on my M^3 :D

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #6,559 of 9,207
Aug 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #6,560 of 9,207
Quote:
What does the Beta22 sound like? Is it transparent like the M^3 w/ sigma or different? I am so curious! Oh and about the casework, I'd probably be useless when it comes to that sort of thing. Shoot I don't even know how to opamp roll on my M^3
biggrin.gif

The beta22 is more transparent than the M^3.  Both acctually use the same power supply.  Also the base is a bit punchier, tight and extended.  Also the highs will extend better as well and be less harsh and everything will be a bit more detailed.  Well opamp rolling is pretty easy. You just take out the old one and put in a new one.  There are a list of different opamps you can use to build the M^3 on the AMB website you can try to roll those in to start with.  

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #6,561 of 9,207
The beta22 is more transparent than the M^3.  Both acctually use the same power supply.  Also the base is a bit punchier, tight and extended.  Also the highs will extend better as well and be less harsh and everything will be a bit more detailed.  Well opamp rolling is pretty easy. You just take out the old one and put in a new one.  There are a list of different opamps you can use to build the M^3 on the AMB website you can try to roll those in to start with.  

So if I wanted a more fun, amplifier, with lots of details etc would Mjolnir be that amp? I love my Bifrost Uber, so the Schiit products are VERY appealing to me. Beta22 is so nice too, especially with a aluminum chassis.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #6,562 of 9,207
Quote:
So if I wanted a more fun, amplifier, with lots of details etc would Mjolnir be that amp? I love my Bifrost Uber, so the Schiit products are VERY appealing to me. Beta22 is so nice too, especially with a aluminum chassis.

If you want something that is very fun than you can also try out the vioelectic v200 it is known to be tube-y and a warm also will work well with the lcd's.  You could try the Schiit but it is only balanced so unless you have everything terminated in something that is balanced I would go with something with a single ended output unless you want to reterminate everything.  Otherwise though the Schiit puts out a lot of power so it is very good at controlling the lower end not to mention the detail that it outputs as well.  There is no question its a very good amp but I do think its a bit overhyped.  Also if you want an aluminum chassis that will be no problem as well. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #6,563 of 9,207
If you want something that is very fun than you can also try out the vioelectic v200 it is known to be tube-y and a warm also will work well with the lcd's.  You could try the Schiit but it is only balanced so unless you have everything terminated in something that is balanced I would go with something with a single ended output unless you want to reterminate everything.  Otherwise though the Schiit puts out a lot of power so it is very good at controlling the lower end not to mention the detail that it outputs as well.  There is no question its a very good amp but I do think its a bit overhyped.  Also if you want an aluminum chassis that will be no problem as well. 

Can you PM me a final price quote with everything including casework silver aluminum, and some kind of build time estimate. Lastly with the $ amount.

Thanks,

Thomas

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #6,564 of 9,207
Ok, well that's interesting, as I'd need to find a builder, just like with the Beta22. Well there are so many used Beta22 on the FS forum, it is simple. Perhaps a experienced DIY'er could build a S.E.X? First thing though is more suggestions, like what do others think? Usually on head-fi everyone disagrees with each other lol :D

tongue_smile.gif

I agree it really is a matter of preference. But for orthos I much prefer a solid state, especially for EDM. And FYI, Ive never had the schiit STACK, I had a schiit amp, not the gungnir/Mjolnir which would be consider the "schiit stack". Im highly considering a tube amp down the road for my current HD800, Ive parted with the LCDs.

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #6,565 of 9,207
I agree it really is a matter of preference. But for orthos I much prefer a solid state, especially for EDM. And FYI, Ive never had the schiit STACK, I had a schiit amp, not the gungnir/Mjolnir which would be consider the "schiit stack". Im highly considering a tube amp down the road for my current HD800, Ive parted with the LCDs.

What made you part with the LCD-2?! I love them for rock music :). What music other than classical would the HD800's reproduce better?

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #6,566 of 9,207

What made you part with the LCD-2?! I love them for rock music :). What music other than classical would the HD800's reproduce better?

A broken neck is a very serious injury..

All Jokes aside, there wasnt anything the HD800 couldnt do what the LCD2 had to offer. I found the lcd lacking too much in dynamics really, had it not been for the mjolnir-even EDM would have put me to sleep. LCD's bass was fun, but do you really believe the HD800 bass is non existent? Dont believe that "HD800 is only good for classical" crap.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #6,567 of 9,207
Quote:

All Jokes aside, there wasnt anything the HD800 couldnt do what the LCD2 had to offer. I found the lcd lacking too much in dynamics really, had it not been for the mjolnir-even EDM would have put me to sleep. LCD's bass was fun, but do you really believe the HD800 bass is non existent? Dont believe that "HD800 is only good for classical" crap.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #6,568 of 9,207

Come at me bro, come :beerchug:

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #6,569 of 9,207
Quote:
Bottlehead SEX :D.  Sounds amazing with my LCD2.2's.  Man I need to mod mine. New Pot and Caps incoming.  

Isn't that an OTL tube amp? Not ideal for orthos or low impedance headphones generally. My WA2 was great with my T1s and HD800s, but not so much with my LCD-2s or any low impedance dynamic headphones. The high output impedance of the amp isn't ideal, nor is the low current output. But the voltage swings are great for high impedance cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back