Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #6,511 of 9,207
Quote:
Thanks for the head amp advice previously in this post but I must say its almost overwhelming trying to go through the hundreds of pages.
I am currently debating between a few options. Barring in mind I need to be able to get this to work and back daily, otherwise I would get the lyr.

Modo/magni by Schiit
Alo pan am
Alo international (though I don't know how I feel about a portable as my main amp, nor do I know how much better it would power them than my e12, though I have heard some good things.
Burson soloist sl.

I really don't know which way to go.
Another issue is going the burson lcds me with no money for a real dac, meaning I would be stuck with an e17, which would let that anp down.
Any other suggestions for transportable amps/dacs for sub $600

Thanks guys and girls you are awesome

If it needs to be transportable I would not go with the Soloist SL.  Though smaller than the Soloist it is still heavy and quite large.  Honestly I would go with the ALO Pan Am in this case.  

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #6,513 of 9,207
Thanks for the head amp advice previously in this post but I must say its almost overwhelming trying to go through the hundreds of pages.
I am currently debating between a few options. Barring in mind I need to be able to get this to work and back daily, otherwise I would get the lyr.

Modo/magni by Schiit
Alo pan am
Alo international (though I don't know how I feel about a portable as my main amp, nor do I know how much better it would power them than my e12, though I have heard some good things.
Burson soloist sl.

I really don't know which way to go.
Another issue is going the burson lcds me with no money for a real dac, meaning I would be stuck with an e17, which would let that anp down.
Any other suggestions for transportable amps/dacs for sub $600

Thanks guys and girls you are awesome

Sennheiser Momentum :)

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #6,516 of 9,207
It sounds like you need a portable headphone and the Momentum is supposed to have a similar signature. I don't think it has but that's what they say in the Momentum thread.

I only need it to be transportable as I don't like the idea of leaving hardware at work. I commute with a small suitcase I guess you would call it. I use in ears for portable.
I only want a transportable amp while I am at work (where I listen to music the most)

Yeah I wouldn't agree with the momentums sounding similar. I sold my momentum's and vmodas to buy the lcd and even with my current sub par setup they are worlds apart IMO

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #6,517 of 9,207
Audio gd NFB-11.32

I was looking at the audio gd amps. Apparently the 11.32 is quite bright due to the sabre chip. Though I have not heard the amp to say whether or not this is a good thing with the lcd.
I was also looking at the 15.2 as I think it uses the Wolfson DAC, again though your advice would be appreciated here as I have no comparison point with this going to be my first desktop setup if you will.
The 5.32 I think is too big for the commute with a bigger form factor than the 2 mentioned above.
I may have to measure up the space left in my case when I get into work in 20 mins

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #6,518 of 9,207
If I were in your shoes - and I haven't heard any of the amps on your shortlist - I'd probably go for the Pan Am as it fits your needs and is supposed to be great with LCD-2. Failing that, you could save your pennies for a WA7 - although that might be a bit heavy :)

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #6,519 of 9,207
If you're spending $1k on a WA7, I see it as a waste of money as you can get the LD MK VI+. None of the Woo compares except the WA5 in sound perspective. First hand experience here as I've compared them because I was a little skeptical of the VI+ praise back then.

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #6,520 of 9,207
Yeah, I only mentioned WA7 because it looks small and transportable (despite the weight). I researched it a few weeks ago. Some say it's great, others say that it's outdone by O2 and ODAC. I've always had my suspicions that it's a style over substance amp.

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #6,521 of 9,207
I was looking at the audio gd amps. Apparently the 11.32 is quite bright due to the sabre chip. Though I have not heard the amp to say whether or not this is a good thing with the lcd.
I was also looking at the 15.2 as I think it uses the Wolfson DAC, again though your advice would be appreciated here as I have no comparison point with this going to be my first desktop setup if you will.
The 5.32 I think is too big for the commute with a bigger form factor than the 2 mentioned above.
I may have to measure up the space left in my case when I get into work in 20 mins
I remember that nfb-12 (nfb-15.32 predecessor)was too warm for me with Senn hd-650, while the Senn was very good with neutral audio gds. By analogy the 11.32 and lcd2 could match well. Better perhaps to ask in the 11.32 thread

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #6,522 of 9,207
Hi all I just ordered the LCD 2 and was wondering if the NuForce Icon HDP or the iFi iCan would be viable options for amps, right now I intend to use these headphones with my turntable that uses a Pro-ject  amp box. I'm trying not to spend too much and preferably keep it under 1k. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #6,524 of 9,207
Quote:

Audio-gd do not do 'bright' gear.
Also the Sabre32 chip is not a bright chip just fully extended up high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back