Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Dec 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #5,161 of 9,207
Well I guess you're talking about alpha (generalizability to a population of samples, 'truth' in one definition) whereas I only meant variance accounted for (treating my 'measurements' - listening impressions - as merely a datapoint in one sample, definitely nothing more privileged).

Since you raise it though, I think we're doing better but not too much better than our very worn coin!

IDK, and at the risk of digressing from the topic, can we expect better from head-fi do you think?

Quote:
So actually statistically it's a meaningless coin toss? In which case a monkey could use random generator to make reviews and sometimes it would be right. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #5,162 of 9,207
I am considering purchase of a Bryston BHA-1 for my LCD-2. Right now I am powering the LCD-2 from a Lavry DA10 or an Oppo BDP-105. 90% of the time I use the Lavry.

I'm a solid state neutral + detail oriented kind of guy and I really like the DA10 and the Oppo because they are pretty much to my tastes. However I am suspicious that the power available from the sources I have is really not enough to maximize the potential of the LCD-2.  

So what do people think? Is the BHA-1 really going make a big immediately obvious difference over the Lavry amp? Or is it going to be a small difference and perhaps just really marginal?

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #5,163 of 9,207
While I haven't heard the Lavry amp I can say that the LCD-2 responds to a quality amp very well. It's not a subtle change. I've only used the term 'night and day' twice and one of them was the first time I heard the LCD 2 on an LF.

The Bryston is a good amp, though not my favorite with the HD800 I could see it doing very well with the LCD 2.

Quote:
I am considering purchase of a Bryston BHA-1 for my LCD-2. Right now I am powering the LCD-2 from a Lavry DA10 or an Oppo BDP-105. 90% of the time I use the Lavry.

I'm a solid state neutral + detail oriented kind of guy and I really like the DA10 and the Oppo because they are pretty much to my tastes. However I am suspicious that the power available from the sources I have is really not enough to maximize the potential of the LCD-2.  

So what do people think? Is the BHA-1 really going make a big immediately obvious difference over the Lavry amp? Or is it going to be a small difference and perhaps just really marginal?

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #5,164 of 9,207
Quote:

The LCD-2.2s are a perfect match with the BHA-1 and will be even more so using the DA10 as the DAC.  I've also read where the LCD-2.2 are really good with the Mjolinir as well.

Price per performance will point to the MJ.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #5,165 of 9,207
Go for bha 1 for versatility you get mini output on those.

edit:
just got bha-1 . galen audio provided free pralines with it mmm & they offered to let me try their high end power cables.. i might call them up and give it a try. this amp is miles away from my singlepower mpx3. just what i wanted. driving the headphones like a champ. i thought the headphones were ok when i got them, they seemed just a little better than my westone 4s because i was using a tube amp that diddn't have enough umph for me. It was the smoothest amp i've ever heard but i wanted more. this amp is pretty spot on according to my aggressive life style. and blows all my iems out of the water

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #5,166 of 9,207
Yesterday I visited my bud's house.  He's a Bryston fan-boy, has Magneplanars (as do I, but his are bigger 3.7's) powered by Bryston 7B-SST amps, plus the BDA DAC and most recently the BDP-1 music player + the Bryston headphone amp.  I'm more of a tube guy, and generally find the Bryston's strong and clean and perhaps a bit on the bright side of things for my taste.

Anyway, I brought along my Audeze LCD-2.1 headphones for a listen and I was extremely thrilled with their performance on the Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp.  Much deeper and richer bass than my poor little tube amps produce, and a lot more air and soundstage on top.  Strongly recommended for an audition.  I was worried about loss of musicality, but the tone and timbre were nicely produced for the two string quartets and the various female vocalists (Vienna Teng, Rachael Yamagata & Heather Nova) we listened to.

Per the above discussion about coin flips and internet BS, you should never buy on a recommendation like this, but definitely try to audition!

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #5,167 of 9,207
I have the BHA-1 with the LCD-2r2 and a W4S DAC-2 since 6 months. Absolutly spectacular set-up! Musical, full-bodied and with lots of resolution. Can't go wrong with the BHA-1 - LCD-2r2 match-up. It's like the components were designed to work togheter.

I had the chance to compare to the Mjolnir once. Clear win for the Bryston. Last week, I compared the LCD-2r2 and the LCD-3 on the Bryston. Still prefer the LCD-2r2. I choose dark (but still highly detailed and resolved) fun over ultimate accuracy.

Steve

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #5,168 of 9,207
Opinions seem pretty lopsided on this one. Five coin flips coming up heads. I think I'll give it a try. What's to lose except maybe return shipping?

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #5,169 of 9,207
i've done extensive research from scouring all the threads for anything bha-1 related or mjolnir. apparently dallas headfi meet did a survey on the mjolnir vs the bryston . bryston won performance wise but mjolnir won price value for how much it cost. i wanted versatility as in i wanted the single ended output as well as the xlr out put

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #5,171 of 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I compared the LCD-2r2 and the LCD-3 on the Bryston. Still prefer the LCD-2r2. I choose dark (but still highly detailed and resolved) fun over ultimate accuracy.

I also prefer the LCD-2 Rev.2 versus the LCD-3.

I'd be curious to compare the Mjolnir and the Bryston eventually.  I should receive the Mjolnir next week.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #5,173 of 9,207
Quote:

I also prefer the LCD-2 Rev.2 versus the LCD-3.

I'd be curious to compare the Mjolnir and the Bryston eventually.  I should receive the Mjolnir next week.

Let me know when your Mjolnir will have at least 100 hundred hours of burn-in, maybe we can plan a meet to compare the two if you're interested. I am from Montreal too.

Steve

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #5,175 of 9,207
Quote:
I've had the Reaga DAC for quite some time and still have the V800. Have used these with V200 + LCD2R1. The Rega adds more color to the music than the V800. The Violectric sounds "cleaner" (not leaner). Eventhough the Rega is quite good, it had to go. 

Thanks Loevhagen --- that's exactly the type of information I'm looking for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back