Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Dec 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #5,191 of 9,207
Technically.
But sound tells us differently. I for one hear quite a large difference with the V200 and Mjolnir, over the O2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Its your money....and technically the O2 drives the LCD2's to it fullest potential...do the math,,

All the best
Alex

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #5,192 of 9,207
Quote:
Can you test it without the HE-adapter?  I suspect the HE-adapter to be the bottle neck here.  I have never used one but I've read where it has a negative effect on the sound.

Unfortunately I can not.  I don't have an adapter to go straight from 4-pin XLR to bananas.  Also, with the HE-Adapter in place, I already have very little room to work with on the volume knob.  I suspect that if my usable volume range decreased even more after removing the HE-Adapter, the attenuator knob would be so low that that would now have a negative impact on the sound.  If I had a way to get a free 4-pin XLR to banana adapter, I would try it, but at this point, I don't know that I want to invest any more money in this venture.  I was going to order one from Moon Audio, but Drew told me that since it's a custom item, it's not returnable.  So that option is out.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #5,194 of 9,207
Quote:
Wow man  - I can let you use mine for a few weeks.  

I appreciate the offer, but I always feel awkward if I were to borrow something from a Head-Fi'er.  I've had offers from others to lend me very expensive headphones, but I feel like it's just imposing.  Was yours expensive?

I've been listening to this more and more with the HE-Adapter, and I'm starting to understand the sound more.  I've been using the PrimaLuna with my LSA-1 speakers for a while now, and I always thought it was the speaker's silk dome tweeter that was responsible for the very warm sound, but I'm now thinking it's just a quality of the amp itself.  My first impressions before might have been a bit harsh, but I just want to say that it definitely doesn't sound bad.  I think it's just an over-abundence of "warm" equipment.  The LCD-2.2 tend to be a bit warm on their own, and so is the PrimaLuna.  If you like a very warm sound, then this combination may be good for you.  Or maybe just a change in tubes would help improve the treble.  I would be willing to try that eventually.  

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #5,197 of 9,207
Quote:
Maybe $100 that's it.  Yeah - LCD-2.2 + Tubes = to warm and congested for me.  The LCD-3 might sound better and the HE-6 would benefit from it.

IMO YMMV.

That's what was so great about the WA22.  I've never heard an all-tube amplifier sound so detailed and transparent, with such an extended treble.  But of course this was with all the upgraded tubes, so the total cost of the WA22 with those tubes was somewhere around $2300-$2400 I think.  So it's definitely a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing.  I think you can get the PrimaLuna for about $1400 new now.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #5,198 of 9,207
Quote:
That's what was so great about the WA22.  I've never heard an all-tube amplifier sound so detailed and transparent, with such an extended treble.  But of course this was with all the upgraded tubes, so the total cost of the WA22 with those tubes was somewhere around $2300-$2400 I think.  So it's definitely a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing.  I think you can get the PrimaLuna for about $1400 new now.

For $1400.00, you can go with Bryston BHA-1 and never ever look back!

The LCD-2r2 are heaven match with the BHA-1.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #5,199 of 9,207
Decware Taboo is another all-tube amp capable of detail, transparency and extension. My preference is for neutral and balanced. The Taboo (with LCD2.1) is by far the best of my amps (the Meier Classic gets close in many ways). I haven't had to install expensive tubes to achieve this, having so far changed only the rectifier and driver tube. The two power tubes remain stock.

I'm glad to say "warm and congested" is certainly not the sound I get, although I dare say it's capable of that with the 'right' tubes!

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #5,205 of 9,207
someone here tried the lcd 2 with the hifiman EF5? if yes how the pairing is compared to yours other amps ?thanks

My LCD-2 v2s are on their way to me, but when they arrive I should have a chance to listen to them on the EF5 I'm selling to a fellow local Head-fi'er and friend. I will report back on my findings.

I could have kept the EF5 I was using with my last headphones (HE-500, now sold to the same friend) but wanted to do more research and then upgrade to a better desktop amp in the $700-1K range for my LCD-2s, as I've never had beyond a middling mid-fi type of rig. I'll be pre-amp'ing with my FiiO E17 and use incoming Schiit Magni as main drive power (Thanks Schiit for releasing this right when I needed it!) until I decide on a long-term amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back