Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Dec 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #5,176 of 9,207
I posted this in the LCD-2 thread but I thought I'd post it here as well since it's amp related. I've had the LCD-2 for the past week and I've been listening to them with my Lyr + Bifrost. The mids are great and the highs are smooth but there is just a general lack of body and meatiness in the lower end and more specifically the mid bass which makes them sound kind of flat. The bass is absolutely one of the best I've heard in terms of quality, articulation, and texture but there is just not enough of it to give me that full bodied grunt. Will a more powerful amp like the Mjolnir make a difference in this respect? I'm using the stock GE tubes in the Lyr.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #5,177 of 9,207
Quote:
I posted this in the LCD-2 thread but I thought I'd post it here as well since it's amp related. I've had the LCD-2 for the past week and I've been listening to them with my Lyr + Bifrost. The mids are great and the highs are smooth but there is just a general lack of body and meatiness in the lower end and more specifically the mid bass which makes them sound kind of flat. The bass is absolutely one of the best I've heard in terms of quality, articulation, and texture but there is just not enough of it to give me that full bodied grunt. Will a more powerful amp like the Mjolnir make a difference in this respect? I'm using the stock GE tubes in the Lyr.

Keep in mind that the power isn't everything. I have the Burson Conductor which is based on Soloist amp (gives 1.28 W/channel on 50 ohms) , and it is great! I feel the lcd2s are driven very well.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #5,178 of 9,207
I had the Schiit ASGARD and the Schiit LYR...both good amps...the LYR with 6 watts.....and I have a 'lowly' Objective 2 amp and it has NO issue driving my LCD2's...none, zip, zero, nada....

Alex

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #5,179 of 9,207
Having had the asgard and lyr and objective 2, I believe the schiit asgard and the lyr(while the lyr has much more power nevertheless) are both budget amps or at least sound like them; which is why the objective 2 compares well with them or more favorably.  But when you get to the more high end amps like the Violectric V200 or even the Cavalli Liquid Fire, I think the objective 2 loses it's appeal really fast, as it did for me.  It's a really good budget amp for the lcd-2, but the lcd-2 does need more to shine in my opinion. 
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #5,180 of 9,207
The vioelectric 200 is an excellent amp for sure, even the O2 designer has said as much....but its not worth the MUCH higher cost to me and it doesnt sound any better to me.

Its your money....and technically the O2 drives the LCD2's to it fullest potential...do the math,,

All the best
Alex

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #5,181 of 9,207
I'd really like to compare more amps for the LCD 2 with the LF. I haven't really heard anything that outdoes it yet. The most noticeable improvement over other amps is the bass. 

Quote:
Having had the asgard and lyr and objective 2, I believe the schiit asgard and the lyr(while the lyr has much more power nevertheless) are both budget amps or at least sound like them; which is why the objective 2 compares well with them or more favorably.  But when you get to the more high end amps like the Violectric V200 or even the Cavalli Liquid Fire, I think the objective 2 loses it's appeal really fast, as it did for me.  It's a really good budget amp for the lcd-2, but the lcd-2 does need more to shine in my opinion. 
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #5,182 of 9,207
Quote:
I'd really like to compare more amps for the LCD 2 with the LF. I haven't really heard anything that outdoes it yet. The most noticeable improvement over other amps is the bass. 

Have you tried the likes of ECBA or EC Super 7? Hands down the GS-X was 
much better to my ears than the LF. But then again, I am one of the few that wasn't impressed 
by it. Although, I never did get around to hearing with quad of Siemens. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #5,183 of 9,207
Quote:
The vioelectric 200 is an excellent amp for sure, even the O2 designer has said as much....but its not worth the MUCH higher cost to me and it doesnt sound any better to me.

Its your money....and technically the O2 drives the LCD2's to it fullest potential...do the math,,

All the best
Alex

Agreed, I've had O2, Lake People G109, Violectric V200. All sound the same to me. I kept G109 for the headroom and mainly ergonomics.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #5,185 of 9,207
V200 made me love the LCD-2 (so musical), the O2 made even the LCD-2 sound unmusical and that's hard to do. But hey, it's all matter or ear and preference.
So it's all good. It's why we choose what we choose and pay what we pay.  
wink.gif

Quote:

All the best
Alex

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #5,186 of 9,207
sling5s,

Agree with you...gets down to what your ear likes etc...

Lately if you havent been there go to HDTracks site and download there "new' HD sampler....some 14 songs or so....i dont necessairly believe in HD stuff etc compared to
the normal cd 44.1/16 bit but the stuff in this FREE download is downright amazing.....i discovered new artists that just blow me away...your LCD2s and V200 will really like this stuff!!

All the Best
Alex

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #5,187 of 9,207
thanks alex. will try  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
sling5s,

Agree with you...gets down to what your ear likes etc...

Lately if you havent been there go to HDTracks site and download there "new' HD sampler....some 14 songs or so....i dont necessairly believe in HD stuff etc compared to
the normal cd 44.1/16 bit but the stuff in this FREE download is downright amazing.....i discovered new artists that just blow me away...your LCD2s and V200 will really like this stuff!!

All the Best
Alex

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #5,189 of 9,207
Alright I finally have my HE-Adapter and stock balanced cable from Audeze.  Been using them with my PrimaLuna Prologue Two for a few days now.  My first impressions are somewhat mixed.  I still have my Lyr on hand to compare to, but I've been trying to listen to only the PrimaLuna to get an overall feel.  I also have my memory of how the WA22 sounded (which left a very good lasting impression).  

Some initial things I've noticed about the PrimaLuna and LCD-2.2 combo: midrange is the main strength here.  It sounds extremely layered, "thick", "lush", and "layered".  The spatial information that's contained within the midrange comes through very well, and gives the soundstage a very expansive, full sound.  Depth and width is very good, along with instrument separation.  Instrument timbres are very good as well.

However, transient impact leaves a bit to be desired.  Also, bass impact and extension doesn't quite match the Lyr, and definitely not the WA22.  Treble extension I'd say is darn near close to what I'd describe as "mediocre".  However, I do find that this is more desirable than a forced, grainy, and harsh treble.  

Overall, my initial impressions are that this amp with the HE-Adapter does provide an enjoyable sound, but I don't know that I can say that it's better than the Lyr, and is certainly not better than the WA22.  I'd say it's just say it's a different flavor than the WA22.  I am going to obviously spend a lot more time with it, and see how my opinion changes over time.  Since I've already owned the PrimaLuna for several years, this was my affordable alternative to purchasing a WA22 after having one on loan for 2 weeks.  I was hoping that it would come fairly close to matching it, but initial listening has proven that this most likely will not be the case.

FYI, the tubes that I have in the PrimaLuna: 2 x Pope NOS 12ax7 (very good tubes, hard to find now), 2 x PrimaLuna stock 12au7, 4 x Gold Lion KT88

Users who are viewing this thread

Back