Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Nov 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #5,131 of 9,207
Quote:

While I am not jsplice, I would be interested in a non tube amp. I really like tube amps, but have always said I would pay no more than $500 for one as I always have the fear of tubes drying up at some point or just becoming WAY to expensive for me to want to deal with. So now that I have the Lyr, I think I pretty much hit the end of the road for me and tube amps. 

I plan on getting the LCD-2 here very soon to use in combination with my HE-500. I was leaning towards the Violectric V200 when the time comes to want a new amp, but am always curious as to what you might suggest. 

Thanks,
beerchug.gif

This is just me.  But I would think the V200 would be a little to warm for both the LCD and the 500s.  I would look at the Mjolnir or the BHA-1.  IMO

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #5,133 of 9,207
Quote:

Does it have to be a tube amp?

Doesn't have to be a tube amp, but I do like some tubes in the chain, hence my original purchase of the Lyr.  All I know is that the soundstaging, channel separation, treble and bass extension, everything, is phenomenal with the WA22.  The Lyr is a great amp, but I really don't think it drives the LCD-2 to anywhere near its potential.  

I do own a PrimaLuna Prologue Two, and have considered going to the speaker taps, but not sure if that's a great idea...

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #5,134 of 9,207
Quote:

Doesn't have to be a tube amp, but I do like some tubes in the chain, hence my original purchase of the Lyr.  All I know is that the soundstaging, channel separation, treble and bass extension, everything, is phenomenal with the WA22.  The Lyr is a great amp, but I really don't think it drives the LCD-2 to anywhere near its potential.  

I do own a PrimaLuna Prologue Two, and have considered going to the speaker taps, but not sure if that's a great idea...

WOW,

I love the PrimaLuna stuff.  I take my HE-6s to the local audio store here and they let me and another head- fi'er demo all there gear.  A PrimaLuna Speaker amp (I forget the model) sound amazing off the speaker taps with the HE-6s.  That is my dream amp.. 

Try it.  It's but tons better than the WA22 - I'll bet.

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #5,136 of 9,207
Quote:
The designer of the 02 amp seemed to like the vioelectric stuff and his O2 amp is a very neutral totally transparent amp..

For the cost..the O2 (i have 2 of them and LCD2's) is a real winner.....the price is really 'cheap' for what it does.

There is NO issue driving the LCD's with this amp...its ALL there.

You buy an O2 for less dollars and if you really dont like it...you havent dumped $1000 or so for one of the higher priced amps that might have specs no better or worse that the O2...

I went thru several amps...they are all sold and the little O2's remain....

I have the O2 and the WA22 and I can confirm that the WA22 blows the O2 away, as it should given the price difference. While the O2 is a steal for its price, it cannot compete with certain higher end amps.

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #5,137 of 9,207
Quote:

WOW,

I love the PrimaLuna stuff.  I take my HE-6s to the local audio store here and they let me and another head- fi'er demo all there gear.  A PrimaLuna Speaker amp (I forget the model) sound amazing off the speaker taps with the HE-6s.  That is my dream amp.. 

Try it.  It's but tons better than the WA22 - I'll bet.

You're convincing me.  Question is, do I have to buy the $100 Hifiman adapter to get my LCD-2s plugged into the speaker taps of the PrimaLuna?  If I do go that route, I'll also have to buy a balanced cable. I'm trying to find the cheapest initial route just to see if the sound is a good match for the LCD-2.  

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #5,138 of 9,207
Quote:
You're convincing me.  Question is, do I have to buy the $100 Hifiman adapter to get my LCD-2s plugged into the speaker taps of the PrimaLuna?  If I do go that route, I'll also have to buy a balanced cable. I'm trying to find the cheapest initial route just to see if the sound is a good match for the LCD-2.  

How many watts is your amp?  Not many I'd bet.  

This is the cheap route.  This one has a 4-pin XLR at the end.  You can get it with a SE connector at the end instead.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #5,139 of 9,207
Quote:

How many watts is your amp?  Not many I'd bet.  

This is the cheap route.  This one has a 4-pin XLR at the end.  You can get it with a SE connector at the end instead.

The PrimaLuna Prologue Two puts out 40w x 2.  This is using Gold Lion KT88 power tubes.  Would that be too many watts to run straight into the LCD-2?  It's probably fine for the HE-6, but the LCD-2 are more sensitive.

And where did you get that cable?  Did you make it?

Wait a minute, that won't work for me.  I'd have to have LCD-2 connectors at one end, and speaker connectors at the other.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #5,140 of 9,207
Quote:

The PrimaLuna Prologue Two puts out 40w x 2.  This is using Gold Lion KT88 power tubes.  Would that be too many watts to run straight into the LCD-2?  It's probably fine for the HE-6, but the LCD-2 are more sensitive.

And where did you get that cable?  Did you make it?

Wait a minute, that won't work for me.  I'd have to have LCD-2 connectors at one end, and speaker connectors at the other.

It's not to much.  The LCD-2.2 is rated at 60 ohms.  The amp is 40 watts into 8 ohms.  So how many watts is the amp into 60 ohms is the question.    I put my LCD-2.2s on my 200wpc @8 ohms  mono blocks.  I just didn't have any volume control available.  It was either to loud or to low.  The cable will work.  You already have a cable on the LCD's right?  The other end that you put in the amp - is where you would put in this adapter.  Either SE or XLR.  It works..

The best prices going right now to get that cable made is Brian.  http://www.btg-audio.com/

Is this it?

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #5,141 of 9,207
Quote:

It's not to much.  The LCD-2.2 is rated at 60 ohms.  The amp is 40 watts into 8 ohms.  So how many watts is the amp into 60 ohms is the question.    I put my LCD-2.2s on my 200wpc @8 ohms  mono blocks.  I just didn't have any volume control available.  It was either to loud or to low.  The cable will work.  You already have a cable on the LCD's right?  The other end that you put in the amp - is where you would put in this adapter.  Either SE or XLR.  It works..

The best prices going right now to get that cable made is Brian.  http://www.btg-audio.com/

Is this it?

Yep, that's it.  I've replaced the stock KT88s with Gold Lion KT88s, which was a huge upgrade.  Also, I've replaced the 12ax7's with NOS Pope's which are absolutely incredible...going to be sad when those go bad.

40 watts into 8 ohms should translate into a lower wattage going into 60 ohms.  I know nothing about these technical aspects, but I know that a lot of speaker amps have double the wattage when going from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, so I'm guessing it would work somewhat conversely.  Maybe 20 watts into 16 ohms, 10 watts into 32, 5 watts into 64 ohms.  I somehow doubt it's that linear, but might be a good estimate.  

I've also heard that some people can get noise when using speaker amps with orthos.  Supposedly the Hifiman "adapter" eliminates this because of an internal resistor that is used.  So at this point, I'm not sure what the best route is here.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #5,142 of 9,207
^ Decware Taboo has zilch noise into the LCD2.

Less watts than your amp though - 6W/8 ohms.

Assuming near-zero output impedance, power figures can vary linearly with load impedance. Likely not a good assumption here though., e.g. does not apply to Taboo.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #5,144 of 9,207
Quote:

Yep, that's it.  I've replaced the stock KT88s with Gold Lion KT88s, which was a huge upgrade.  Also, I've replaced the 12ax7's with NOS Pope's which are absolutely incredible...going to be sad when those go bad.

40 watts into 8 ohms should translate into a lower wattage going into 60 ohms.  I know nothing about these technical aspects, but I know that a lot of speaker amps have double the wattage when going from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, so I'm guessing it would work somewhat conversely.  Maybe 20 watts into 16 ohms, 10 watts into 32, 5 watts into 64 ohms.  I somehow doubt it's that linear, but might be a good estimate.  

I've also heard that some people can get noise when using speaker amps with orthos.  Supposedly the Hifiman "adapter" eliminates this because of an internal resistor that is used.  So at this point, I'm not sure what the best route is here.

Never heard this and never experencied it either.  Orthos are some tuff cookies.  They love power / current.  What you have there is a very fine amp my friend.  It's worth a try and yep those calculations are about right + / - here or there.

I have heard from some that the Hifiman adapter does screw up the SQ a bit.  Never tried it myself.  

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #5,145 of 9,207
Quote:

Never heard this and never experencied it either.  Orthos are some tuff cookies.  They love power / current.  What you have there is a very fine amp my friend.  It's worth a try and yep those calculations are about right + / - here or there.

I have heard from some that the Hifiman adapter does screw up the SQ a bit.  Never tried it myself.  

Hmm interesting.  So is it safe to run the LCD-2s directly into the speaker taps?  Why would Hifiman make an adapter with internal resistors if it was ok to just plug directly into the speaker taps?  I'm just trying to make sure I don't fry my headphones and/or amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back