Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Nov 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #5,117 of 9,207
I agree. That's why it is so useless to look or ask for the 'best' amp. What counts is an accurate description how an amp sounds with a headphone.
It is also good to have a second amp to compare. In absolute terms it is so hard to describe sound. And the memory for sound is so short, too.
Isn't it?

Quote:
I guess it's all matter of taste.  Everyone seems to think their amp is THE amp for the LCD-2. 
wink.gif

I'm just hoping to find "my amp" for my taste.  

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #5,118 of 9,207
im thinking about picking up an lcd2 as an early xmas gift for me, but i only have the matrix m stage as an amp, bsg cmoy and the headphone out on my grant fidelity tubedac 11, i dont know about the last 2, but im hearing mixed things on the m stage not having the best synergy with the lcd 2

i dont have too much money to play with once i drop the money on the lcd's, im thinking about buying an o2 amp from jds labs which i've read is a good match for the lcd 2's.

can anyone point me to something better in that price range or cheaper? maybe a t amp? but then i have to worry about finding cables for them....help!

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #5,120 of 9,207
^ +1

I have the V100 and LCD2.1

Not my favorite combination, but a good one. The V100's smooth mid-range and slight warmth is balanced with excellent extension high and low and good clarity. It sounds unstressed and well-controlled.

I understand the V200 is these things and more.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #5,123 of 9,207
Jan's Concerto and in particular Classic amps are a much better match. Opera has a 'just the  facts' sound with LCD2. Midrange is rather good, even compelling, especially if you like the stereotypical 'tube' sound.

However, treble energy is a bit lacking - not necessarily a good thing as the LCD2 is either 'dark' or 'natural' depending on how important high-end detail is to you.

Bass - I don't remember. It's well over a year since I last listened with this combination.

Power seemed adequate. Some, including Audez'e themselves, state 2W is needed. This would drive you toward Meier Classic, Violectric, Decware Taboo, Schiit Lyr/Mjolnir and many other options with good current capability.

Quote:
Anyone tried the Audeze in combo with the Meier Opera, would that be a good combo? powerfull enough? thanks

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #5,124 of 9,207
I've got some experience with the LCD-2/Opera combo myself.  The Opera is a bit warm and smooth, so the LCD-2 isn't quite as energetic as it could be.  Something less tubey would probably work better.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #5,125 of 9,207
The designer of the 02 amp seemed to like the vioelectric stuff and his O2 amp is a very neutral totally transparent amp..

For the cost..the O2 (i have 2 of them and LCD2's) is a real winner.....the price is really 'cheap' for what it does.

There is NO issue driving the LCD's with this amp...its ALL there.

You buy an O2 for less dollars and if you really dont like it...you havent dumped $1000 or so for one of the higher priced amps that might have specs no better or worse that the O2...

I went thru several amps...they are all sold and the little O2's remain....

Just sayin...

Alex

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #5,126 of 9,207
Quote:
The designer of the 02 amp seemed to like the vioelectric stuff and his O2 amp is a very neutral totally transparent amp..

For the cost..the O2 (i have 2 of them and LCD2's) is a real winner.....the price is really 'cheap' for what it does.

There is NO issue driving the LCD's with this amp...its ALL there.

You buy an O2 for less dollars and if you really dont like it...you havent dumped $1000 or so for one of the higher priced amps that might have specs no better or worse that the O2...

I went thru several amps...they are all sold and the little O2's remain....

Just sayin...

Alex

Out of curiosity. What other amps have you compared to the O2?

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #5,127 of 9,207
Well I've been ruined.  I've had a Lyr to go with my LCD-2s for a few months now, but recently my dad was curious about it, and wanted to swap amps for a bit.  Problem is, his amp is a  Woo WA22.  To put it lightly, the Woo slaughters the Lyr (as it rightfully should, given the price).  The other problem is that to get it in the configuration that he has (with all upgraded tubes), you're looking at about $2400.  It's definitely worth the price, but is there an intermediate step here between Lyr and the WA22 that I can explore?

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #5,128 of 9,207
Quote:
Well I've been ruined.  I've had a Lyr to go with my LCD-2s for a few months now, but recently my dad was curious about it, and wanted to swap amps for a bit.  Problem is, his amp is a  Woo WA22.  To put it lightly, the Woo slaughters the Lyr (as it rightfully should, given the price).  The other problem is that to get it in the configuration that he has (with all upgraded tubes), you're looking at about $2400.  It's definitely worth the price, but is there an intermediate step here between Lyr and the WA22 that I can explore?

Does it have to be a tube amp?

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #5,129 of 9,207
Dairy Produce...

Compared with Schitt Lyr, Schitt ASGARD, SOHAii, Burson HA160, Matrix M Stage, Creek, Benchmark Dac1, Several AVR headphone sections and a AVA Insight + Pre/Amp head section...which was as good as most of these....amazing to me..

Alex

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #5,130 of 9,207
Quote:

Does it have to be a tube amp?

While I am not jsplice, I would be interested in a non tube amp. I really like tube amps, but have always said I would pay no more than $500 for one as I always have the fear of tubes drying up at some point or just becoming WAY to expensive for me to want to deal with. So now that I have the Lyr, I think I pretty much hit the end of the road for me and tube amps. 

I plan on getting the LCD-2 here very soon to use in combination with my HE-500. I was leaning towards the Violectric V200 when the time comes to want a new amp, but am always curious as to what you might suggest. 

Thanks,
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back