Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Nov 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #5,146 of 9,207
Quote:
Hmm interesting.  So is it safe to run the LCD-2s directly into the speaker taps?  Why would Hifiman make an adapter with internal resistors if it was ok to just plug directly into the speaker taps?  I'm just trying to make sure I don't fry my headphones and/or amplifier.

I think on his site it's recommended for speakers over 150wpc.  Yours is only 40wpc.  That's a big difference..

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #5,147 of 9,207
Quote:

I think on his site it's recommended for speakers over 150wpc.  Yours is only 40wpc.  That's a big difference..

You mean speaker *amps* over 150 wpc?  I looked on the Hifiman site and couldn't find that information.  If that is true, then yea, that is a huge difference in wattage.

I'm thinking of trying a Moon Audio cable that goes from Audeze connections straight to bananas.  Not sure if that's a good investment though, as it might be harder to sell down the road.  And it's also rather pricey.  

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #5,148 of 9,207
Quote:
You mean speaker *amps* over 150 wpc?  I looked on the Hifiman site and couldn't find that information.  If that is true, then yea, that is a huge difference in wattage.

I'm thinking of trying a Moon Audio cable that goes from Audeze connections straight to bananas.  Not sure if that's a good investment though, as it might be harder to sell down the road.  And it's also rather pricey.  

WOW that's going to cost a pretty penny.  No the most cost effective solution at all.  But, I know it will be top of the line stuff.  Brian can do that same cable as well for a lot less.  

Let us know what you think.  By the way,  I just got this amp in today.  I'm going to put the LCD-2.2s on this and see how it sounds.  I'll let you know the out come later on.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #5,149 of 9,207
Quote:

WOW that's going to cost a pretty penny.  No the most cost effective solution at all.  But, I know it will be top of the line stuff.  Brian can do that same cable as well for a lot less.  

Let us know what you think.  By the way,  I just got this amp in today.  I'm going to put the LCD-2.2s on this and see how it sounds.  I'll let you know the out come later on.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

Yea, but I have another option from Moon Audio: an adapter that goes from female 1/4" to bananas.  Would allow me to use the stock cable, just to see how it works out.  The adapter is $95 versus $275 for a 10 foot Blue Dragon that has Audeze connections and bananas.  Only difference is using the adapter won't give me "balanced" output.  $95 is a lot easier to swallow versus $275 for something that I'm not even sure will work yet.  Then down the road I could upgrade to a real cable.

Emotiva is awesome.  You and I actually talked about Emotiva stuff in a different thread a month or two ago.  I used to have their XPA-2.  I'll be curious to hear how the LCD-2.2s sound on that amp. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #5,151 of 9,207
I'm considering the following options for driving the LCD-2.1:

Rega DAC --> V200

V800  --> V200

m903

Has anyone been able to compare these three setups?  What would be the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #5,152 of 9,207
Those options make me think of an HD800 more than an LCD2, as these are both reportedly warm-sounding amp setups.

But that V800/V200 is one sexy stack :devil_face:

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #5,153 of 9,207
so I just bought Gungnir DAC, and I've trying to figure out a good combo for it for my LCD-2s. I've come up with the vioelectric v181 or the Bryston bha-1. I listen to alot of post-rock and ambient music. and some classical from time to time.  so anyone know any good amps for this type of music or the v181 or bha-1s. I'm going to make my purchase for the bha-1 tomorrow most likely

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #5,154 of 9,207
Quote:
Those options make me think of an HD800 more than an LCD2, as these are both reportedly warm-sounding amp setups.
But that V800/V200 is one sexy stack
devil_face.gif

Several people on these forums who really know their stuff (such as Project86) consider the V800 and V200 combo to be fantastic with the LCD2.  It's one of my front-runner options as well, for when I finally bite the bullet and get the LCD-2.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #5,155 of 9,207
^ Doesn't matter how well any of us know our stuff. It's your own ears that decide.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #5,156 of 9,207
Erm, yes, of course.  But most of us here make our purchasing choices based not on our ears (as we don't have the opportunity to try stuff before we buy), but on recommendations we read on the forums.  By 'know their stuff' I mean people who have experience with many different types of equipment and who's recommendations therefore have a bit more weight.  I think most of us will, for example, value the opinion of someone like Tyll or Jude more highly than a n00b like me.  

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #5,157 of 9,207
I've had the Reaga DAC for quite some time and still have the V800. Have used these with V200 + LCD2R1. The Rega adds more color to the music than the V800. The Violectric sounds "cleaner" (not leaner). Eventhough the Rega is quite good, it had to go. 
Quote:
I'm considering the following options for driving the LCD-2.1:

Rega DAC --> V200

V800  --> V200

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #5,158 of 9,207
I understand your position. I was the same. New Zealand is a country with limited listening opportunities. At the time I lurked on these forums six and seven years ago, Skylab's careful, considered reviews were very helpful to me. Project86 is also careful and considered, and "fantastic" is probably not a word one would find there. Not without YMMV warnings anyway!

So, we broadly agree.

What I have gained in the years since following Skylab and many other headfiers' reviews is some understanding of my own listening preferences, and some ability to translate carefully managed and detailed description into what I would sometimes (as much as half the time but no more) hear from the same or a similar set-up.

On the flip-side, I doubt the usefulness of my own descriptions to others - knowing our listening becomes increasingly specialized the further we go in this hobby - but occasionally I try anyway.

Definitely not useful are good/bad impressions without any supporting detail about what the listener heard/hears. It's how the "hype train" operates on head-fi 
wink_face.gif

As a counter-example, Loevhagen's brief description of the Rega versus V800 above is very useful to me, because of experience with Loevhagen's preferences and descriptive style. That's a second way information on head-fi can be useful.
Quote:
Erm, yes, of course.  But most of us here make our purchasing choices based not on our ears (as we don't have the opportunity to try stuff before we buy), but on recommendations we read on the forums.  By 'know their stuff' I mean people who have experience with many different types of equipment and who's recommendations therefore have a bit more weight.  I think most of us will, for example, value the opinion of someone like Tyll or Jude more highly than a n00b like me.  

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #5,159 of 9,207
Quote:
some ability to translate carefully managed and detailed description into what I would sometimes (as much as half the time but no more) hear from the same or a similar set-up.

So actually statistically it's a meaningless coin toss? In which case a monkey could use random generator to make reviews and sometimes it would be right. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back