Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Dec 22, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #4,531 of 9,207
I think it depends on the kind of electronic music, but I don't think it would do well for dubstep.  Ambient music would probably be very good.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #4,532 of 9,207
Reply to amp recommendations.Specifically the burson ha-160.I have two amps at present the rsa raptor and the burson ha-160.I at presently prefer the burson with my lcd-2 rev2 phones but i must add that i have replaced the stock fuse in the burson with a hi-fi tuning silver star fuse and am now using a kubala sosna emotion power cord on the burson.I was using the raptor with the kubala sosna emotion and with a hif-tuning gold fuse.But since I went to the emotion power cord on the burson the sound improved exponentially on the burson.In one of the comments someone had mentioned that the raptor was a good value at less than 1000 dollars but not so anymore well i do not  at all agree with that you should hear the amp now i beleive you would be astonished at the performance of the amp with the lcd-2 rev 2 phone.But i have to be honest most people would not use a $750.00 power cord on a $700 amp.I had a couple of emotion cords in my other system with my speakers.I just thought i would try it and was astounded by the improvement that the emotion cord wrested from the burson in conjunction with the silver star fuse upgrade.

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #4,534 of 9,207
Where did you get the Emotion for $750?

Quote:
Reply to amp recommendations.Specifically the burson ha-160.I have two amps at present the rsa raptor and the burson ha-160.I at presently prefer the burson with my lcd-2 rev2 phones but i must add that i have replaced the stock fuse in the burson with a hi-fi tuning silver star fuse and am now using a kubala sosna emotion power cord on the burson.I was using the raptor with the kubala sosna emotion and with a hif-tuning gold fuse.But since I went to the emotion power cord on the burson the sound improved exponentially on the burson.In one of the comments someone had mentioned that the raptor was a good value at less than 1000 dollars but not so anymore well i do not  at all agree with that you should hear the amp now i beleive you would be astonished at the performance of the amp with the lcd-2 rev 2 phone.But i have to be honest most people would not use a $750.00 power cord on a $700 amp.I had a couple of emotion cords in my other system with my speakers.I just thought i would try it and was astounded by the improvement that the emotion cord wrested from the burson in conjunction with the silver star fuse upgrade.

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #4,535 of 9,207
Wow.  I am surprised to hear of such a significant difference from a power cord.  Do you also have a power conditioner?  I dont use either and would be interested to gain some understanding of how much difference these kind of things make, including audiophile fuses.

Cheers

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #4,538 of 9,207
Hi has anyone tried the Cayin HA-1A's compatibility with the LCD2s? I've searched through this thread and there seems to be a dearth of opinions regarding this particular combo (other than SP Wild). Currently I'm using a Dacport LX for my DAC, thanks in advance for any replies!

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #4,540 of 9,207
Quote:
Hi has anyone tried the Cayin HA-1A's compatibility with the LCD2s? I've searched through this thread and there seems to be a dearth of opinions regarding this particular combo (other than SP Wild). Currently I'm using a Dacport LX for my DAC, thanks in advance for any replies!

I owned a Cayin HA-1A back in 2007, way before the LCD-2 came out, but that would definitely be an interesting pairing. I might even guess that it could be better than most other <$1K amp pairings, including the Schiit amps, as the HA-1A has loads of power output to spare (it can drive the legendary hard-to-drive AKG K1000 and K340 - I remember testing both headphones back then, ah those were the days).

No offense to Schiit but I just haven't found their amps so far to be that great (I've heard the Asgard and Lyr, both with the LCD-2). I'm genuinely hoping to be impressed by their upcoming higher-end amps though.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #4,541 of 9,207
^ Ditto what catchedge said. My Lyr/Bifrost is what we all heard the lcd-2 on at our mini meet and it was wonderful. Granted I have the lorenz tubes rolled in it which may be partly why it sounds so good but I feel it would still sound dam good with the stock tubes. The HDP also did a fine job with the lcd-2. The lcd seems to sound good out of alot of things and isnt too picky :) 

-M

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #4,542 of 9,207
I have 3 amps that work quite well for Lcd-2s (rev. 1). Beta22, First Watt F2 clone and Objective 2 (O2) amp.

I like Beta22 best with Lcd-2s. Great dynamics, transparent, stunning realism and big soundstage.

The F2 clone sounds a little warmer than Beta22. Though I like this combo almost as well as the first.

The Objective 2 amp sounds really good, especially considering it is transportable, battery powered and so cheap (~$160). Having the O2 amp in hand, I do not miss my previous AMB M3 or Cavalli CTH that much. The O2 sounds like a M3 with AD843 IIRC, but it can fit into my pocket while M3 can not.

For those who want a full-sized dac/amp combo and on a budget, I recommend getting a used Presonus Central Station (~$350). It has been compared favorably to Benchmark dac1 and is known to drive HD650 very well. I have tried the Presonus Central Station with my Lcd-2s and like the combo. It is a very good deal if you get used, considering it has optical and coaxial inputs, 2 independent headphone amps and 3 state-of-the-art passive pre-amp (work very nice with speaker amps, like my F2 clone).

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #4,544 of 9,207
How about this amp?
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583646/linnenberg-spa1-a-new-contender-in-the-sub-1k-balanced-discrete-headamp-market

Users who are viewing this thread

Back