Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Dec 12, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #4,516 of 9,207
Brasewell's Apace was a great match for the LCD-2's.  I heard it at a meet in May next to an RWA pre-release balanced Isabellina Audez'e Edition. While the Apace did out perform the RWA at the time, I'd argue it wasn't a fair test as the production version with a Mullard tube (not the ****ty JJ tube) is a contender.  
I've also heard a great balanced ß22 and it was stellar.

That said, I still prefer my RWA and I don't think it gets as much attention as it deserves.  It's a killer DAC (both NOS and high-res on board) and awesome high-current balanced amp. 

Do yourself a favor and listen to one.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #4,517 of 9,207
      Quote:
I considered your Apache for a while but then I finally went with the Liquid Fire.  Hey, was there an R.I.T discount? I forgot to inquire.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Man you should have asked. You never know what I would have said
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Brasewell's Apace was a great match for the LCD-2's. I heard it at a meet in May next to an RWA pre-release balanced Isabellina Audez'e Edition. While the Apace did out perform the RWA at the time, I'd argue it wasn't a fair test as the production version with a Mullard tube (not the ****ty JJ tube) is a contender.
I've also heard a great balanced ß22 and it was stellar.

That said, I still prefer my RWA and I don't think it gets as much attention as it deserves. It's a killer DAC (both NOS and high-res on board) and awesome high-current balanced amp.

Do yourself a favor and listen to one.

Lee I did come to your place a week later and we compared the production version of the RWA. I remember it was really close with the RWA have a slightly more laid back and organic sound while my Apache was a little forward being a little more revealing(if I remember correctly).

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #4,519 of 9,207

Quote:
      Quote:

Man you should have asked. You never know what I would have said
biggrin.gif

Lee I did come to your place a week later and we compared the production version of the RWA. I remember it was really close with the RWA have a slightly more laid back and organic sound while my Apache was a little forward being a little more revealing(if I remember correctly).

Ahhh, but tht was still with the Chinese JJ tube.  The Mullard was a nice mprovement. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #4,521 of 9,207

Quote:
I know its hard to compare headphone amps to vintage receivers but which would be a better fit with the LCD-2s between the Hifiman EF5 and the Kenwood KR-4070?

I don't know much about any of those products, but it would be hard to believe that old Kenwood would be good enough for the LCDs !

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #4,522 of 9,207
Dec 21, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #4,523 of 9,207
I just got back from a good sized headphone meet.  I had a chance to audition a Yulong D100 and a Lyr/Bifrost combo, and of course my Nuforce Icon HDP.  I tried all three set-ups with the LCD-2 as well as a Q701 (which was my second favorite at the meet, surprisingly), Paradox mod Fostex T50rp, Ultrasone Pro900, and Denon D2000.  Out of all the headphones, the LCD-2 dominated absolutely over the rest with the Lyr/Bifrost combo.  There was nothing that set-up couldn't do, and do phenomenally.  The only thing better than it was female vocals with the Q701 and the same combo, which was mind-blowing.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the Lyr with the Bifrost is the best thing I have ever heard, hands down.  Although once I tested it using the Nuforce as the amp and the Bifrost as the DAC, the differences between my Nuforce and the combo became minimal.  The soundstage was wider, and in general the sound was more articulate, but the highs were a bit rolled off by comparison.  I won't be getting the Bifrost as of my meet impressions, since at this point it's a minimal upgrade for a $500 unit.
Yulong D100 vs. Nuforce: The Yulong isn't leaps and bounds better than the Nuforce, but I felt it was a more energetic combo.  I mostly tried this with what music the Chinese gentleman - the owner of the AKGs and the Yulong - had on his laptop, which was generally electro pop, but listening to music with which I was actually familiar produced the same result.  In general, the Nuforce is a bit more detailed and textured, while the Yulong is more energetic and has a wider soundstage. I would recommend it if you prefer EDM or something that calls for a more energetic presentation.
Schiit Lyr/Bifrost Combo vs. Nuforce: This one was a bit tougher.  Both DACs are energetic and detailed with an emphasis on dynamics and upper midrange/high articulation.  However, the Lyr/Bifrost was more dynamic with a wider soundstage.  Using the track "Slam" by Pendulum, the trumpets at the beginning of the track were a bit more detailed with the Lyr/Bifrost.  The mids and lows were more fleshed out, and I felt as if some details might have been smoothed over.  I didn't notice this quite as much, but mmayer felt the highs were a bit rolled off with the Lyr/Bifrost.  Overall, the Lyr/Bifrost pushed ahead, but not by a wide margin.  The Nuforce seems to be a bit of a more laid back DAC/amp with more articulation in the lower ranges and more extension in the highs.  The soundstage was a bit more narrow and might have had a greater depth, but the narrow aspect was more prominent when switching between.
Bifrost to Nuforce amp vs. Nuforce: Most of the differences I noticed with the full Schiit combo were nowhere near as noticeable as with this combo, but there was more energy and the highs weren't rolled off.  That increase in energy and dynamics was the only difference that remained as noticeable as with the full combo, so I think some of that might have come with the Lyr itself.  Strangely enough when I tried the Nuforce to Lyr, there was hardly a difference at all. 
On a side note: if there is any headphone that is truly neutral with a perfectly clear, honest presentation, it is the Paradox.  I've never heard that kind of clarity before, and it was incredibly stark.  I also had a surprising revelation with the Q701s: they're glorious for extreme metal.  Although they're bass lite, they have a fantastic texture and with the Lyr/Bifrost actually produce a good amount of bass impact.  The Nuforce paired a lot better with them than I anticipated; I initially used them with the HDP as a joke because of how sinfully bright I thought it would be.  Although with neither set up did the Q701s sound very good with electronic music, it handled most genres very well.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #4,524 of 9,207
Thanks for the impressions dag, I would like to clarify the treble rolloff you quoted me on, what i was getting at was that the treble energy was just more on the nuforce hdp than the bifrost. Overall dac to dac out of the nuforce amp I noticed a wider soundstage with the bifrost and just an overall cleanlyness about the sound over the hdp dac. Also worth mentioning is the feel of extension both top and bottom with the bifrost. The amount was nothing to really shake a big stick at but there were differences and i would rather listen to the bifrost but thats me, it is a bit flatter which is my ideal, hence why i have paradox headphones and enjoy them for how they let me enjoy music.

sorry if that was hard to read, it's late. 

Edit: Oh yea, the Bifrost-Lyr combo with the Lcd-2 rev 2 is the best thing I have ever heard. Followed closely by my Paradox, which are clearer but lack that "fun" factor. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #4,526 of 9,207
Great impressions thanks dagothur

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #4,527 of 9,207
Quote:
I tried all three set-ups with the LCD-2 as well as a Q701 (which was my second favorite at the meet, surprisingly),

Out of all the headphones, the LCD-2 dominated absolutely over the rest with the Lyr/Bifrost combo.  There was nothing that set-up couldn't do, and do phenomenally.  The only thing better than it was female vocals with the Q701 and the same combo, which was mind-blowing.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the Lyr with the Bifrost is the best thing I have ever heard, hands down. 

I also had a surprising revelation with the Q701s: they're glorious for extreme metal.  Although they're bass lite, they have a fantastic texture and with the Lyr/Bifrost actually produce a good amount of bass impact. 

This is a nice information. I must keep my K701, buy Lyr+Bitfrost, and also buy LCD-2.
biggrin.gif
Thank you dagothur.
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #4,528 of 9,207
This is some great information thank you, however what did the Q701 do better than the LCD with the Lyr/Bifrost combo? I'm seriously thinking about picking up a Q701 as my second pair of phones for the "other music".  
I really perfer electronica, dubstep, and ambient music so I'm going to use the LCD-2 for the genres 
Quote:
I just got back from a good sized headphone meet.  I had a chance to audition a Yulong D100 and a Lyr/Bifrost combo, and of course my Nuforce Icon HDP.  I tried all three set-ups with the LCD-2 as well as a Q701 (which was my second favorite at the meet, surprisingly), Paradox mod Fostex T50rp, Ultrasone Pro900, and Denon D2000.  Out of all the headphones, the LCD-2 dominated absolutely over the rest with the Lyr/Bifrost combo.  There was nothing that set-up couldn't do, and do phenomenally.  The only thing better than it was female vocals with the Q701 and the same combo, which was mind-blowing.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the Lyr with the Bifrost is the best thing I have ever heard, hands down.  Although once I tested it using the Nuforce as the amp and the Bifrost as the DAC, the differences between my Nuforce and the combo became minimal.  The soundstage was wider, and in general the sound was more articulate, but the highs were a bit rolled off by comparison.  I won't be getting the Bifrost as of my meet impressions, since at this point it's a minimal upgrade for a $500 unit.
Yulong D100 vs. Nuforce: The Yulong isn't leaps and bounds better than the Nuforce, but I felt it was a more energetic combo.  I mostly tried this with what music the Chinese gentleman - the owner of the AKGs and the Yulong - had on his laptop, which was generally electro pop, but listening to music with which I was actually familiar produced the same result.  In general, the Nuforce is a bit more detailed and textured, while the Yulong is more energetic and has a wider soundstage. I would recommend it if you prefer EDM or something that calls for a more energetic presentation.
Schiit Lyr/Bifrost Combo vs. Nuforce: This one was a bit tougher.  Both DACs are energetic and detailed with an emphasis on dynamics and upper midrange/high articulation.  However, the Lyr/Bifrost was more dynamic with a wider soundstage.  Using the track "Slam" by Pendulum, the trumpets at the beginning of the track were a bit more detailed with the Lyr/Bifrost.  The mids and lows were more fleshed out, and I felt as if some details might have been smoothed over.  I didn't notice this quite as much, but mmayer felt the highs were a bit rolled off with the Lyr/Bifrost.  Overall, the Lyr/Bifrost pushed ahead, but not by a wide margin.  The Nuforce seems to be a bit of a more laid back DAC/amp with more articulation in the lower ranges and more extension in the highs.  The soundstage was a bit more narrow and might have had a greater depth, but the narrow aspect was more prominent when switching between.
Bifrost to Nuforce amp vs. Nuforce: Most of the differences I noticed with the full Schiit combo were nowhere near as noticeable as with this combo, but there was more energy and the highs weren't rolled off.  That increase in energy and dynamics was the only difference that remained as noticeable as with the full combo, so I think some of that might have come with the Lyr itself.  Strangely enough when I tried the Nuforce to Lyr, there was hardly a difference at all. 
On a side note: if there is any headphone that is truly neutral with a perfectly clear, honest presentation, it is the Paradox.  I've never heard that kind of clarity before, and it was incredibly stark.  I also had a surprising revelation with the Q701s: they're glorious for extreme metal.  Although they're bass lite, they have a fantastic texture and with the Lyr/Bifrost actually produce a good amount of bass impact.  The Nuforce paired a lot better with them than I anticipated; I initially used them with the HDP as a joke because of how sinfully bright I thought it would be.  Although with neither set up did the Q701s sound very good with electronic music, it handled most genres very well.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #4,529 of 9,207
FWIW I liked the K701 better out of the Lyr than the LCD-2 as well. Just from judging both headphones out of a variety of amps the K701 sounded just right out of the Lyr while the LCD-2 did not.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #4,530 of 9,207
The Q701 was seriously really good with the lyr-bifrost! So much so that i am pondering getting a pair of 701's just for the female vocals, and the suprisingly fun way that combo portrayed electronic stuff (my opinion, and not dagothur's if you read above. Just goes to show you how different everyones ears are... To take this one step further, another friend who attended the meet thought the Paradox sounded muffled
blink.gif
).  The impact from the Q701 was enough and extension was good down low! I was not expecting it at all, and was pleasantly surprised. They didnt seem dry or aneamic either, and were missing that harsh top end I remembered from my 702 way back when i had one. Will it do all genre's excellent? No is still my answer, but it could cover all the bases if needed, if it was fed from the bifrost-lyr.

Just my 2 cents from our gathering with this gear last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back