Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Dec 12, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #4,501 of 9,207
Yea, I think that's happening too.  I think it would be a deal at twice the price. Though I paid around $900 to get mine so I have to feel that way (but I thought it was the best deal out there at that price...then the SE version came out).

Quote:
I suspect the 10SE's entry level price may actually be a deterrent for some. It's great for the budget conscious but I wonder how many overlook it without thought simply because it is cheap. So much for so little... it couldn't possibly be any good right?

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #4,502 of 9,207

Quote:

I was on the same boat late last year and decided to commissioned Corey of SWA to build me a balanced beta22.  I have auditioned a RSA Apache before and I think it is a great amp but to me, it has the slight warm RSA sound signature and what I'm really looking for is more natural and detail sound to pair with LCD-2. 

I have listened to a couple B22s as well and have found most of them to be warm rather than neutral.
Detail retrieval was equally good on both the B22 and Apache
As you can see this is very subjective and depending on the listener, may prefer one over the other. Matching it with the right source is extremely important as well as I found the Apache to sound best with my Havana.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #4,503 of 9,207
Nice to know. Finally hearing a comparisson is nice. 

I still think the LF is where I'll end up at this point but if I could nab a black apache for 2k before Feb I'd be pretty tempted...

Quote:
I have listened to a couple B22s as well and have found most of them to be warm rather than neutral.
Detail retrieval was equally good on both the B22 and Apache
As you can see this is very subjective and depending on the listener, may prefer one over the other. Matching it with the right source is extremely important as well as I found the Apache to sound best with my Havana.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #4,504 of 9,207
Apache's have been running between 1500-1750 recently on the FS forums.  I have tried it (among with every other RSA amp except for Darkstar) multiple times at Ray's house.  I prefer a well-built B22, and as to the neutrality question... B22 is more neutral - definitely a wire with gain type of amp.  Brasewel, were you using it with your Havana?  From the one I've tried everything sounds slightly warm on it...

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #4,505 of 9,207

There were 2 recently on the FS forums I know of one of which was Braswel's...but they were both white. I thought about it but a big white Apache in the middle of my black rack would just bug the hell out of me.
Quote:
Apache's have been running between 1500-1750 recently on the FS forums.  I have tried it (among with every other RSA amp except for Darkstar) multiple times at Ray's house.  I prefer a well-built B22, and as to the neutrality question... B22 is more neutral - definitely a wire with gain type of amp.  Brasewel, were you using it with your Havana?  From the one I've tried everything sounds slightly warm on it...

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #4,507 of 9,207

Quote:

Yes I was using it with the Havana. The reason I preferred that match was because the tubes added some warmth to an otherwise very neutral amp IMO.
Apache's sell between 1750 - 1900 used.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #4,512 of 9,207
Quote:
Ok. Besides if I spray painted this thing Brasewell would probably hunt me down

I know where you stay 
biggrin.gif
. I've only seen 1 black Apache sell and that was Warp08's Apache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back