Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 15, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #4,171 of 9,207
From my audition of the three, I much prefer Grace and Burson to the Benchmark. The ultimate preamp/headphone amp I have heard is still the Accuphase C3800 preamp though, but of course that is something quite different... 

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #4,172 of 9,207
Add the Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA to you list 

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #4,173 of 9,207
thanks for the feedback guys!!
Is the price of the Accuphase C3800 really 20K... even my car doenst cost that much :p

So Burson and Grace over the benchmark? That's good to know! After having read in the stereophile magasine that the benchmark was rated Class A I tought there wasnt a better piece of equipment for the price

so my option are  Burson, Grace, or a used red wine isabellina HPA  :p

"googleli" which one of the grace or burson did you prefer?

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #4,175 of 9,207

Quote:
never heard the luxman da200 myself but it seems promising,you might wanna add da200 to your list too...if i were looking for an amp/dac combo the luxman would be my top priority...

hey looks damn sweet! now I have way too many choices lol!! does the luxman da200 also have a pre-amp section that I can use with a power amp?
it's a little over 2k but it looks so elegant.. for now the choice is hard.. both the Grace and Luxman look fabulous... I'll have to make a choice :p

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #4,176 of 9,207
I prefer the Grace 903, the Burson is a bit darker so if you have a Rev 1 go for the Grace and if you have Rev 2 maybe go for Burson. These are my opinions only - nothing beats having a listen for yourself.

Quote:
thanks for the feedback guys!!
Is the price of the Accuphase C3800 really 20K... even my car doenst cost that much :p

So Burson and Grace over the benchmark? That's good to know! After having read in the stereophile magasine that the benchmark was rated Class A I tought there wasnt a better piece of equipment for the price

so my option are  Burson, Grace, or a used red wine isabellina HPA  :p

"googleli" which one of the grace or burson did you prefer?

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #4,178 of 9,207
Hi guys I have tried earlier today the NUForce Icon HDP DAC connected to the Lyr from a Local Shop here, and I found it quite unsatisfying. Though the bass and mids were excellent but the treble is a bit smoothen out when I heard it. Then I hooked the NUForce HDP to the Asgard, and the sound is better for me (though I had some problems with some songs lacking in bass quality).

Now I'd like to ask if you have experiencing pairing DAC to AMP from a laptop or an Ipod, which desktop DAC should be better for Lyr?

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #4,179 of 9,207
I think more detailed DACs pair quite well with tube amps in general. Try the Antelope Zodiac Gold with Voltikus power supply module, or failing that the Zodiac plus. They are very impressive - more so than the Weiss DAC202 I'd say. If I hadn't got the Esoteric K-01 already, I would have gone for the Zodiac Gold.

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #4,180 of 9,207
The Nuforce doesn't pair well with the Lyr because the Lyr tends to compensate for a lack of dynamic energy.  The Nuforce provides that in kind, so there's little improvement in the sound.  It provides plenty of detail, but they're just not a good combo.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #4,182 of 9,207
     Quote:
Hey guys!

I need some advices for my incoming purchases!
I'm about to buy the LCD-2 headphones and I want to buy a [DAC/AMP/PRE-AMP] combo all-in-a-box device to keep my setup minimalist and simple  :)
I want to be able to drive with beauty the LCD-2, while also beeing able to use it as a very good DAC/PRE-AMP for my future power amplifier + passive speakers !!!

I've found 3 products that could do that so far :
- Benchmark DAC1 PRE
- Burson HA-160D
- Grace m903

Can someone tell me what's my best option for my needs, knowing I dont want to spend more than 2k for that product and that I want to keep it simple?

thanks a lot guys!!! :)

cant wait the experiment!!!

The Lavry DA10 or DA11 may be worth considering.

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #4,183 of 9,207

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions @googleli...now, for the search on a local dealer of Antelope Audio.

I second giving the Antelope (Zodiac+ or Gold) a listen in your system.  It has yet to be dethroned in my favorite rig in regards to transparency (tested at least seven other $1,000 to $3,000 range sources since owning the Antelope).  I also listen to the rig with the Antelope pretty much everyday since I have had it (since release). 

In regards to the headphone amp out on the Zodiac+/Gold, it is very listenable with the LCD-2's....however a separate amp is a necessity to realize the true potential of the LCD-2, in my opinion. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #4,184 of 9,207
I own the Zodiac+ with the Voltikus power supply and also highly recommend it. 

My friend listened to the LCD2's today with the Woo WA6 and loved it. Anyone else have experience with this combo. I currently own both theBurson and the Lyr but am looking at either a WA6SE or the Decware MiniTorri. So far I prer the Burson to the Lyr. I find the Lyr more powerful sounding but somewhat congested. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #4,185 of 9,207

Quote:
I own the Zodiac+ with the Voltikus power supply and also highly recommend it. 

My friend listened to the LCD2's today with the Woo WA6 and loved it. Anyone else have experience with this combo. I currently own both theBurson and the Lyr but am looking at either a WA6SE or the Decware MiniTorri. So far I prer the Burson to the Lyr. I find the Lyr more powerful sounding but somewhat congested. 

I have a WA6 that I've used with the LCD-2. It matches well, but is still 3rd banana here and as a result doesn't see a lot of time with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back