Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #4,141 of 9,207
I have all three (LCD-2 Rev 2).  My comments are in the first few pages of the NFB-10SE thread LiqTenExp started.
wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:
someone on the 10SE thread had both NFB-10 SE and Lyr, but no LCD-2. 

I have all three (LCD-2 Rev 1).  My comments are in the first few posts of the NFB-10SE thread I started.

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #4,142 of 9,207
You can add a VTL IT-85 integrated to the list of amps that sound glorious with, and can drive the Audez'e to wonderful aplomb!

It's the best I've heard from the LCD-2 rev 2's thus far. My b22 is out on loaner, so I eagerly await a showdown between the two. My WA6 was personally hotrodded by Jamato, and sounds great with the Audez'e, but doesn't quite have enough ooomph to compete with the VTL.....and sounds slightly strained and closed-in as a result in comparison. 

If I was still using the stock cable, things might be a bit too dark & meaty for me, but with Steve's Q Audio cabling, it is truly a sublime combination.

What you hear from the headphone jack is exactly what you hear from the speaker taps. Volume knob is barely at 12 o'clock, and it's all I want/need.

A couple of pluses for me is it has a remote control for volume, and I now have an amp with perfect synergy to drive my Martin Logan's.

Anyway, off for some listening.....and then some possible tube rolling. :wink:

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #4,143 of 9,207

Quote:
IIRC olor1n has Lyr, the new audiogd-10, and LCD2. Also take careful note of Currawong's comments about the SPDIF. Also, the DAC uses the same chips as Jan Meier's StageDAC, with the same filter-settings offered. Of course, the implementation may be quite different, but FWIW I now prefer Jan's DAC with my speaker system (clean, neutral, great dynamic reach), with the Sabre32-based MiniMax DAC a more lively source for my two preferred headphone amps (Lyr & Concerto ATM).

olor1n appears to like the 10, but (IIRC) did find the Lyr more forgiving on lower-fi material. He/she also had some volume issues, as in the LCD2 gets loud with very little of the volume range used. May be olor1n's particular unit - early manufacturing inconsistencies? - as currawong didn't seem to have this issue. Anyway, you should re-check the threads, as I've only been half-reading them.

TBH, I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with the Lyr OR the new audio-gd based on comments to date. Doubtless it's the sound you're trying to pin down. Smoothness and transparency would seem to be the audio-gd highlights. The Lyr's no slouch there either and sits high in Skylab's round-up of tube amps.

Of course, it's tube-rollable. Except, many of the recommended NOS tubes (e.g. Lorenz 3-mica) seem to have been snapped up!

Quick comparison using (alac):

1. Summertime Clothes - Animal Collective
  2. Soft Shock - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  3. The Sound of Muzak - Porcupine Tree

The NFB-10SE sounds like the Lyr with flavour of the month Lorenz Stuttgart tubes. This is single ended, volume matched with a meter and with the NFB-10SE dac feeding the Lyr. The presentation from both is balanced across the spectrum, airy and transparent. There's a distinct sense of depth that has great synergy with the LCD-2's ability to resolve.

To split hairs, I'd say bass is more taut on the SE, although extension is about the same. On the Lyr, bass is slightly smeared in comparison, with a bit more weight. This may give the sense the Lyr is more dynamic but I don't think that's the case on closer inspection (like I said, hair splitting). Overall the Lyr is a touch smoother and is therefore more forgiving of lesser recordings. The flip-side is that the NFB-10SE is more detailed. This should not be construed as cold and clinical.

People looking at bang for buck should have the NFB-10SE on their list. With the LCD-2 single ended, the NFB-10SE is comparable to the Lyr. The gap is widened when you consider the SE's promotional price, the balanced output (that I've yet to test), and the fact it also serves as a fine dac.

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #4,144 of 9,207
Great comparison olor1n - very useful. Cheers!

(I'm almost tempted)

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #4,146 of 9,207
Well, ya know, almost is "nearly there"!

TBH, the many options audio-gd offer is not good for me. I took a long time to decide between Decware's two options the minitorii and the taboo 
blink.gif
 OTOH, I respect those who've given listening impressions of the SE so far, and now consider it a real SS option.

You've ordered yours right - when I replied here yesterday I hadn't caught up with the NFB10 thread.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #4,147 of 9,207
I just had an interesting experience.  I changed the tubes in my Audio Note CD 4.1x from various Amperex ECC88s to Telefunken ECC88s amd E188CCs, and the Audeze loved them.  So did my speakers.  So did my ears.  Heretofor, the LCD's lacked character and sounded "incoherent".  I think the fact that the Telefunkens have enormous bass, plus a lot of everything else helps the LCD-2s all around.  It also seems to work well with the Norse cables that are a little dark, but that is an asset with these Telfunken tubes. 

Just goes to show: everything is connected to everything else.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #4,148 of 9,207
I've recently had the pleasure of checking out Donald Norths (DNA Audio) forthcoming 2A3 based amp. This latest version of his prototype is sounding fantastic with my LCD-2's. It takes everything I loved about the Sonett(which I previously owned) and super changed it. Greater power, wonderful dynamics, nice bass, and above all musical. I can't wait to try out this amp with some of my other phones. If you're in Los Angeles and are able to attend a meet that Donald is at, I highly recommend giving this amp a listen.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #4,149 of 9,207
Quick thoughts (since brought it up): I think if you get the NFB-10SE, get the DIR9001 input module. The WM8805 makes the unit sound a bit flat or dull. However, it's definitely a bargain, as even in pretty much the worst arrangement possible (optical input, random cheap power cord out of my drawer plugged into a board with a bunch of computer gear) the sound isn't that far behind my main rig (see my profile). I've only run the LCD-2s balanced out of it though.

At present, my preferred amp is the Stacker II (which is kind of moot, as there are only a handful of them in existence) with a Tung-Sol driver and Sylvania 12SN7s. The amp tends to give headphones a slight kick in the bass and is only a little behind the Phoenix in refinement and detail, but has that touch of musicality that rounds everything out.  I think the LCD-2s do work well with nothing-but-the-facts-ma'am SS amps though regardless.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #4,150 of 9,207
Quick thoughts (since brought it up): I think if you get the NFB-10SE, get the DIR9001 input module. The WM8805 makes the unit sound a bit flat or dull. However, it's definitely a bargain, as even in pretty much the worst arrangement possible (optical input, random cheap power cord out of my drawer plugged into a board with a bunch of computer gear) the sound isn't that far behind my main rig (see my profile). I've only run the LCD-2s balanced out of it though.

At present, my preferred amp is the Stacker II (which is kind of moot, as there are only a handful of them in existence) with a Tung-Sol driver and Sylvania 12SN7s. The amp tends to give headphones a slight kick in the bass and is only a little behind the Phoenix in refinement and detail, but has that touch of musicality that rounds everything out. I think the LCD-2s do work well with nothing-but-the-facts-ma'am SS amps though regardless.

I just managed to snatch up a sophia princess'd WA6, so once both of these beauties arrive, I'd be glad to do a comparison, despite the lesser power the wa6 has :) hoping quality > quantity will justify my purchases at the end of the day :)

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #4,151 of 9,207

Quote:
I've recently had the pleasure of checking out Donald Norths (DNA Audio) forthcoming 2A3 based amp. This latest version of his prototype is sounding fantastic with my LCD-2's. It takes everything I loved about the Sonett(which I previously owned) and super changed it. Greater power, wonderful dynamics, nice bass, and above all musical. I can't wait to try out this amp with some of my other phones. If you're in Los Angeles and are able to attend a meet that Donald is at, I highly recommend giving this amp a listen.

That's nice to know.  I also wish I could attend RMAF and listen to Craig's 2A3 amp.  I hope there are some reports from members here.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #4,152 of 9,207
Quote:
At present, my preferred amp is the Stacker II (which is kind of moot, as there are only a handful of them in existence) with a Tung-Sol driver and Sylvania 12SN7s. The amp tends to give headphones a slight kick in the bass and is only a little behind the Phoenix in refinement and detail, but has that touch of musicality that rounds everything out.  I think the LCD-2s do work well with nothing-but-the-facts-ma'am SS amps though regardless.

I still really enjoy the LCD-2 with the Lavry DA-10, which is definitely an auditorially-factual-sounding DAC/Amp to my ears. I'd like to try that combo with another aftermarket cable though, but not a cable that makes music sound as bright as the ALO ref 8 silver/copper cable I tried with the rev2/DA-10.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #4,155 of 9,207
GG, I am quite happy with my portable rig with LCD2 now and use it for casual listening in the office - this goes a long way if you see what I was using with the LCD2 at home (see my signature block). I don't think the CLAS and SR71B are a close match to my home rig, but they are still very satisfying.

I doubt if anyone tried it, but I actually find that the sound of LCD2 directly driven by iPhone 4 to be acceptable, although certainly inferior to any of my rigs - again it shows how good the LCD2 is adaptive to sources and amps - and the better your gear is, you can expect more from the LCD2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back